Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account

Anyone else got this phobia?

I've been playing GTA V lately and even though I've felt this shit earlier in games, this time it gets completely out of hand. It goes like this: objects that naturally don't belong underwater scare the living fuck out of me. Anything from a mast, to a plate of metal and especially shit like underwater installments, pipes being the mother of all. Also seeing shit disappear into water is hell on earth. Chains from buoys, anchors from ships and stuff like that can make me freeze completely.

So along comes GTA with missions that take you to places like these: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SPorQHS5Nr8/maxresdefault.jpg
    There have been tons of games with underwater missions but GTA really gets the atmosphere and details down so well that it affects me IRL.

I have no idea how I ever got this phobia, I remember playing around pipes and swimming around in deep waters as a kid and having tons of fun with it. Somewhere along the road that part of my brain must have gotten really fucked up. There's really nothing else that scares me, but this crap really gets me good. Anyone else got this thing? There must be a name for it or some explanation of how it might start..

So your scurred of water?

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    I've been playing GTA V lately and even though I've felt this shit earlier in games, this time it gets completely out of hand. It goes like this: objects that naturally don't belong underwater scare the living fuck out of me. Anything from a mast, to a plate of metal and especially shit like underwater installments, pipes being the mother of all. Also seeing shit disappear into water is hell on earth. Chains from buoys, anchors from ships and stuff like that can make me freeze completely.

So along comes GTA with missions that take you to places like these: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SPorQHS5Nr8/maxresdefault.jpg
    There have been tons of games with underwater missions but GTA really gets the atmosphere and details down so well that it affects me IRL.

I have no idea how I ever got this phobia, I remember playing around pipes and swimming around in deep waters as a kid and having tons of fun with it. Somewhere along the road that part of my brain must have gotten really fucked up. There's really nothing else that scares me, but this crap really gets me good. Anyone else got this thing? There must be a name for it or some explanation of how it might start..
    Not sure if there's an official name for the phobia but the term "Submechanophobia" seems to have been adopted for this particular fear.

There's a Sub-reddit dedicated to it.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    So your scurred of water?
    Not at all, just won't see me ever swimming around docks and other areas where you'll commonly run into pipes and other shit like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Not sure if there's an official name for the phobia but the term "Submechanophobia" seems to have been adopted for this particular fear.

There's a Sub-reddit dedicated to it.
    Wow there you go.. Cheers O.o

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a fear of open water. I can stand being on a wharf or on land but I won't go in a boat even on a lake. I get severe anxiety that something just outside of sight is going to reach up and pull me under.

I know exactly when this happened though. I was swimming in the lake down home and in the middle of an otherwise deep lake something brushed up against my back while doing a back stroke. Stopped, looked down, and it was the end of a tree that must have been used as a marker from a long time ago that was all green and brown and shit about a foot under the surface with only darkness around it. Before this, I was in the water more than out of it in the summer until it happened.

I can't even stand to look at pictures of open water or concept art and when I watch undersea documentaries and the likes, I'm more on edge than any horror movie I've ever seen.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don't have that phobia, but I do have other irrational ones.

I have Trypophobia and a fear of cotten balls. I'm also scared of holes that you can be sucked into - dam drain holes, whirlpools, large drains, black holes, (I know I won't ever get close to one, but I can't watch them in movies or look at pictures).
    Yeah dam drains and tunnels with flowing water in general definitely goes with this crap I'm struggling with.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Not at all, just won't see me ever swimming around docks and other areas where you'll commonly run into pipes and other shit like that.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah i hate swimming in murky, man-made waters, creeeps me out.

Deleted
    While most people drowning might have their life flash before their eyes, OP will simply gargle "I fucking knew it!"

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have that phobia, but I do have other irrational ones.

I have Trypophobia and a fear of cotten balls. I'm also scared of holes that you can be sucked into - dam drain holes, whirlpools, large drains, black holes, (I know I won't ever get close to one, but I can't watch them in movies or look at pictures).
    Holes creep me out too. Ocean blue holes and bot fly holes specifically. Swiss cheese doesn't scare me though. I think it has to do with being a literal void where there shouldn't be one and my brain goes beserk.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also seeing shit disappear into water is hell on earth.
    Close your eyes when you flush.

On topic: I have a slight phobia of dark water, especially deep dark water. It makes me uneasy, I don't like swimming in deep dark water...
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    While most people drowning might have their life flash before their eyes, OP will simply gargle "I fucking knew it!"
    lol that might actually happen..

Deleted
    Maybe it's a phobia you associate with something else? An intermediary that could link your phobia and an event together. This could be something bad happening, or your brain taking in subconscious information that tells you submerged objects = bad.

For example, I'm very acutely Arachnophobic, and because of this, I also developed pseudo-trypophobia, due to spiders' tendency to live in holes, and claustrophobia, due to me needing an escape route should I be confronted with a spider. I also ended up with a short-term panic response to any insect or unexpected movement that only leaves when I come to the conclusion that it wasn't a spider.

Even though I am only scared of one single thing, because of the things you sometimes associate with your phobias, or maybe things you associate with a traumatic event, it can develop things that trigger an undesired response.

15+ Year Old Account
    I talked to a therapist about the Trypophobia and he tried exposure therapy, but I just lost my shit the first time and didn't return.
    Exposure therapy is a bit questionable sometimes....

"Doctor, I have this irrational fear of being raped" "Say no more, don't worry! Let's try this exposure therapy......."
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Whatever happened to being scared by normal stuff.

Like cancer, or being stabbed, or showing up to school in just your underwear.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Holes creep me out too. Ocean blue holes and bot fly holes specifically. Swiss cheese doesn't scare me though. I think it has to do with being a literal void where there shouldn't be one and my brain goes beserk.
    Like this one? https://i.ytimg.com/vi/h8NtP8CxrCc/hqdefault.jpg
    Stuff like that won't get me since it's natural, though if I over-think and start picturing pipelines down there then that would probably do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post

To be fair, betwen the lot of them they have occured a whooping 0 times. The abnormal ones tend to come around more often.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Exposure therapy is a bit questionable sometimes....

"Doctor, I have this irrational fear of being raped" "Say no more, don't worry! Let's try this exposure therapy......."
    they are called theRapist for a reason, dude!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have the same fear, but share a similar experience. I used to love and be fascinated by bridges.I loved the way they looked, their designs and even really liked old rusty train bridges.

Then one day I started being afraid of going over them. I can't link it to anything. Not sure how this developed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Define normal.

That's not fucking normal. What kind of childhood did you have if you feared those things?!

I have fear of commitment that I need to get over soon.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    It worked really well with my husband, who had anxiety induced OCD over sperm. They told him that constant exposure to your fears eventually helps. Kinda like a scary movie. The more you watch it, the less scary it becomes.
    ......wtf.

So what did he do? Join some gay bukkake fest?!