Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

How hard is to snap a man's neck from behind?

I see it all the time in the movies but I like to think my neck isn't a twig.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's virtually impossible for a human being to snap another human being's neck as adults. If our necks were that easy to break, we'd all die the moment we turned our heads.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It's virtually impossible for a human being to snap another human being's neck as adults. If our necks were that easy to break, we'd all die the moment we turned our heads.
    so hollywood is full of shit?

Really? You can snap your neck from a rough fall if the conditions are right, can't a human put out that same amount of force?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Now you're getting it Point out something that's real, and not for flashy effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Really? You can snap your neck from a rough fall if the conditions are right, can't a human put out that same amount of force?
    Not usually. I'm sure someone of the right strength can, but what they depict on tv and movies is far from the reality of actually doing something like that. You don't just twist and "boom".

10+ Year Old Account
    *mental note* Darsithis knows a lot about this sort of thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Hitting the ground with your body weight + whatever velocity = inhuman force

I'm sure someone ultra strong could potentially pull it off but I doubt your average person could.

Anyone could probably break someones neck with constant pressure but that quick sneak attack twist isn't gonna cut it

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats like in game it takes 10 bullets to kill someone, or Getting stabbed in the back is a instant kill move :| really....come on.

I see it all the time in the movies but I like to think my neck isn't a twig.
    I have no idea if your neck is a "twig" but the average person will not be able to break another averag perons neck without using tools.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastgateguard View Post
    Thats like in game it takes 10 bullets to kill someone, or Getting stabbed in the back is a instant kill move :| really....come on.
    its not the physical dmage of being stabbed in the back, its the humiliation which kills you

To break the neck of a human, 1,000 to 1,250 foot-pounds of torque is considered sufficient. When hanging someone, a typical drop of 5 to 9 feet is enough to generate the force required to break the neck when the person hits the end of the rope.

here is you answer bruh. Im sure you couldnt snap an adults neck but a childs would be like opening a stuck jar of pickles

The speed which you came back with a reply to this scares me a little Darth.

damn ewok beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Hitting the ground with your body weight + whatever velocity = inhuman force
    I'm sure someone ultra strong could potentially pull it off but I doubt your average person could.
    Anyone could probably break someones neck with constant pressure but that quick sneak attack twist isn't gonna cut it
    Pretty much this. It's not going to work the same way in real life that it does in the movies or in Metal Gear Solid. The whole "snap neck with your bare hands and it's over in two seconds" thing won't work in the real world unless you are like Incredible Hulk strong or have some kind of leverage to work with.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-08-16 at 04:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poison is much easier

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who practices MMA, with an emphasis on jiu jitsu, I can tell you that the human body is WAY more durable than hollywood shows. It's actually really REALLY hard to break bones. Hell, it's actually pretty hard to dislocate them.

The 'weakest' part is, ironically, muscle tissue. If you twist someones foot just a little too far you'll sever both the LCL and MCL. Push someones arm too far behind their back and you'll tear their rotator cuff.

If you try to break someones neck like hollywood shows, it's still gonna hurt, and they're probably going to have some sore muscles in their neck, but no real lasting damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on a number of factors such as how the vertebrae are aligned and whether the person has a chance to resist. There are reasons one has to be careful adjusting someone's neck. Movies are, of course, going for action. They regularly draw on a group of movie concepts that have little to do with reality. Ask gun buffs about silencers.

Here is a sample thread that actually mentions cadaver studies: http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/qu...ual-head-twist

And of course: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeckSnap
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Bullshit.

This shit is real!!!
    confirmed legit method

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    I have no idea if your neck is a "twig" but the average person will not be able to break another averag perons neck without using tools.
    You lay on the ground and i'll do a running jump and stomp on your neck if you actually believe that's true. Or i'll put my knee on your back and tear your head back.