Leveling to 700 in WoD or Legion?

Most professions are a pain to level atm, as you often need daily cooldowns for mats. Is it possible to level to 700 in Legion without having to wait for days, or is it better to level now and be ready before Legion?

No point in leveling past 300 unless you want to craft legacy items. The skill level is completely pointless in Legion.

Edit: AFAIK 300 is the point where you can get profession world quests, which is why you should probably have professions at that level from the get-go.

Looking at Blacksmithing (it's been almost 18 months since I leveled it...):

http://www.wowhead.com/spells/profes...=20:16;1:6;0:0

You spend the time to learn the "Secrets" to buy a "leveling" recipe. Then the "leveling" recipe is good from skill 1 to skill 600. All you need is 3600 ore, and you can get to skill 600 in less than a couple of hours.

Then you can level up from 600 to 800 in Legion.

Alternatively, you could make a few pieces of gear to boost your iLvl (was on the PTR last night, and it looks like they're setting up "boost" characters at iLvl 680), you could do a few days of cooldowns (both secrets and mats), buy some Savage Blood and maybe some Felblight, and get a few slots to 700-ish.

I have to say I disagree about leveling professions currently. Leveling professions in WoD is fast and easy. I'd prefer to level a new profession to at least 300 in WoD before starting Legion. I'd probably just level to 700 in WoD for the sake of getting it done - but get to 300 at least.

This person put together a handy chart of how to quickly level professions to 600 in WoD (in most cases this chart will actually get you to 635 or so). The last points to 700 will take a bit more effort - usually using a recipe that you'd buy with 1-3 "secrets of Draenor <craft>" tokens.

http://www.wolfofwarcraft.com/2016/0...-just-wod.html

Deleted
    Skill points are more or less worthless in Legion. If you reach 300 you can craft 99% of the items, excluding a couple of "cosmetic" stuff (e.g., saddle for the mount for tailor).

Profession system in Legion in general is crazy. Between the grind-fest for insane mat requirements for items and the quest line that actually forces you back into vanilla WOW and other prior expansion zones, I have the feeling that all the sadists that used to work in quest and world design have now moved to the profession section of Blizzard's WoW department.

Maybe a couple of them stayed in world design. Those that still think it is "fun" to walk/ride halfway around the map just to realize that there is a hill that you barely can't get up and have to go all the way back and the other halfway round the map...

And then they are wondering why everyone is upset that there is no flying....

Is high skill really pointless, though? It seems that it's not keeping you out of crafting most useful things (i.e. non-cosmetic), but is there perhaps a benefit to having higher skill? Procs? Higher numbers? Anything?

I'd really like to know. Still have my 100 boost and trying to decide whether I want to manually level to 60 before I boost just to get max proffs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Most professions are a pain to level atm, as you often need daily cooldowns for mats. Is it possible to level to 700 in Legion without having to wait for days, or is it better to level now and be ready before Legion?
    Pain to level? Seriously, what rock do you live under? Professions are so easy to level now its unbelievable.

This is one of the rare occasions when I dont even want to give advice beyond that, since you clearly didn't bother to find out how professions can be leveled at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Teflonsavior View Post
    Pain to level? Seriously, what rock do you live under? Professions are so easy to level now its unbelievable.

This is one of the rare occasions when I dont even want to give advice beyond that, since you clearly didn't bother to find out how professions can be leveled at all.

Pretty much what this guy says without as much animosity. There are multiple ways to bypass the original "timegating" of leveling current professions. Might not be economically better but you can level up professions in 1-2 days now easy.

Many professions can be leveled 1-700 in literally an hour. It's not very expensive either. I just did it for JC on a character, cost me maybe 7500g and I expect to make a nice portion of that back again from selling the results of what I made.

Heck, with things like Enchanting you can probably even make a PROFIT leveling them (ring enchants for example yield about 100% profit on my server if you go by mats cost vs. enchant cost).

I think I'll just max things out because I can, whether that ends up to be of benefit in Legion or not. The cost is so small that I'll just err on the safe side.

topping all the above.. leveling 1-700 is insanely easy assuming you dont want to collect all the recipies that indeed may require a bit of patience
    leveling past 300 in legion will be worthless though

Quote Originally Posted by Teflonsavior View Post

So instead of getting an answer to my question, which is actually 'bothering to find out what to do', I have to go somewhere else and find out what to do? That doesn't make a lot of sense, does it? I've not been playing for months, I came back to level my alts and their professions, the only things that give me skillpoints for a couple of professions are gated behind daily cooldowns, I figured I'd ask what the best course of action is.

Thanks to the people who did give normal answers! I'll just wait for Legion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Many professions can be leveled 1-700 in literally an hour. It's not very expensive either. I just did it for JC on a character, cost me maybe 7500g and I expect to make a nice portion of that back again from selling the results of what I made.

Heck, with things like Enchanting you can probably even make a PROFIT leveling them (ring enchants for example yield about 100% profit on my server if you go by mats cost vs. enchant cost).

I think I'll just max things out because I can, whether that ends up to be of benefit in Legion or not. The cost is so small that I'll just err on the safe side.
    how did you manage to pay that much for jc? 1-660 costs like 200g total...
    Last edited by mmoc12739b337f; 2016-07-28 at 10:25 AM.

Deleted
    The only real pain is Herbalism, there is no way to make it faster (except if you want to "wait it up" and just collect 15 herbs in your garrison's garden every day). Other than that, every thing is quite easy (Inscription 640-700 is a bit pain though).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Is high skill really pointless, though? It seems that it's not keeping you out of crafting most useful things (i.e. non-cosmetic), but is there perhaps a benefit to having higher skill? Procs? Higher numbers? Anything?

I'd really like to know. Still have my 100 boost and trying to decide whether I want to manually level to 60 before I boost just to get max proffs.
    If everything stays as is in Beta, then yes, it is really pointless. No additional procs (these are done by the star system which is independent of skill leve), no higher numbers or less material (also done by star system). Not even prerequisite for "discoveries" in the Alchemy profession (e.g., transmutes (sp?))

Originally, I thought that to get the 2-star or 3-star quests in Herbalism, you need to be max skill, but even that turned out not to be true. It's just incredibly painful and long-winded to get them. As an example: I have gathered around 600 Fjarnskaggl (flower, sp?) but have still not got the quest for the 2-star gathering skill yet... Despite being on 800 skill level for the last 350 or so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Professions are trivial to level atm! All it takes is like 1800-2000 WOD mats, which are dirt cheap. And then maybe a few days of cds or w/e. Don't be lazy, do it now.

I did my Leatherworking 1-659 (going to finish the rest soon):

Get 1 Secret of Draenor Leatherworking book, learn Drums of Fury, craft a bunch of em to 649, then craft one of the Journeying or Traveling armor pieces (50 raw hides) to hit 659 at which point all those recipes become green (grey at 660 I think) except Burnished Leather (daily) turning yellow.

All the Raw Hides I could buy from the Trading Post. Needed about 1700? So easy.

Level up your professions now~ (:

Deleted
    i managed to use my alts using GR to buy enough mats to lvl enchanting 1-700 using one daily cd, most of the other professions you could have used GR on aswell (before the increase in GR to buy items it was cheap) or buy them fairly cheap from the AH. I have gathered the mats to lvl alchemy also using my alchemist alts and all that requires to lvl is making 350 trinkets and even buying the catalysts to make all of those you will still make a profit selling all of the trinkets for 25g a piece. Hoping they dont nerf this as that is a tidy profit of over 8.5k from the vendor!