Page 66 of 84 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Hey, I am a bit concerned on how well will fire do at fresh lvl 110. Will we have very low crit chance and rely very much on Enhanced Pyrotechnics? Or does crit stay pretty high even with beginner lvl 110 gear?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    Hey, I am a bit concerned on how well will fire do at fresh lvl 110. Will we have very low crit chance and rely very much on Enhanced Pyrotechnics? Or does crit stay pretty high even with beginner lvl 110 gear?
    This was one of the changes in Legion. Secondary stats will no longer start at 5% and end at 50% but rather start at 25% and end at 40%. (something along those lines)

You'll have around 30% crit on your fire mage when you hit max level. (and basically throughout the entire leveling experience)

Deleted
    You don't require any particular crit to rotate in 7.x so the question "is the spec good?" will depend on the tuning of the spec not the crit only. It seems though in most simulation studies crit can become clearly the strongest stat without contest after a point. They would likely want to keep the increments not that big.

Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    It will be very easy to get 40-50% at 110 within the first week of live if you play a lot. Getting crit high without raid gear will not be a concern as it stands.

Deleted
    i might be late to the party but...i recently did a full run of heroic hfc with 2 other firemages in that raid.

what.the.fuck. happend to flame patch? is this intended to be THE choice in this row? the damage this thing does is just insane and was most of the times on par with ignite-damage or sometimes even above, right after pyroblast.

i really dont like this new design of the firemage: as it stands right now, there are 4 out of 7 rows which are basically mandatory: RoP, FlameOn, FlamePatch and Cinderstorm (altought with high crit kindling might become better).

Quote Originally Posted by youraddhere View Post
    i might be late to the party but...i recently did a full run of heroic hfc with 2 other firemages in that raid.

what.the.fuck. happend to flame patch? is this intended to be THE choice in this row? the damage this thing does is just insane and was most of the times on par with ignite-damage or sometimes even above, right after pyroblast.

i really dont like this new design of the firemage: as it stands right now, there are 4 out of 7 rows which are basically mandatory: RoP, FlameOn, FlamePatch and Cinderstorm (altought with high crit kindling might become better).
    Class trinket + Flame Patch synergy is insane at the moment. Throw in a few pyromaniac procs as well.. you get the idea

what.the.fuck. happend to flame patch
    they chose to leave it as a hilariously bad talent pick right up until the last minute when they instead decided to hotfix buff it's damage by 200% instead, making it mandatory in any situation where you are using flamestrike

i really dont like this new design of the firemage: as it stands right now, there are 4 out of 7 rows which are basically mandatory
    that's how they design talent tiers now, read their demon hunter talent feedback - they gave up trying to achieve rough balance between each group of 3 abilities and instead leave some options as a must pick and some options terrible
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2016-07-31 at 06:37 PM.

Deleted

Well its all just the class trinket at the moment and the fact that flame patches stack on top of each other, at 110 on pure single target you will be speccing UM as you wont be touching flamestrike.

The only talent i find mandatory compared to the others is RoP this is mainly because it synergizes so well with combustion supported by the fact that mirror images do not scale well as they don't inherit our mastery.

As for the others, they all have their strengths and will be quite niche in certain encounters, also there are some that are purely there to change the playstyle as not everyone is interested in min maxing.

If i was to change any of them, i would take the aoe splitting damage mechanic away from meteor, make mirror images cause ignite damage and buff blastwave slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by throwaway-o View Post
    This was one of the changes in Legion. Secondary stats will no longer start at 5% and end at 50% but rather start at 25% and end at 40%. (something along those lines)

You'll have around 30% crit on your fire mage when you hit max level. (and basically throughout the entire leveling experience)
    I'm in ~785 gear as a fresh 110 and have 32% crit. It's noticeably less Pyros than when I was leveling, but the spec is still playable and (from what I've heard around beta) the highest tuned mage spec atm.

with the artifact giving so much aoe dmg, is PF splash really necessary? removing it and just adding the dmg back to the main spell will do wonders for pvp

Yes its necessary. Otherwise its just another pyroblast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    with the artifact giving so much aoe dmg, is PF splash really necessary? removing it and just adding the dmg back to the main spell will do wonders for pvp
    Yes as it is very strong for pvp already, against a melee cleave you can pull serious aoe pressure by speccing world in flames and flame patch since you will be hitting two targets at once alot of the time along with flamestrike applying a snare which is essential for kiting. The splash from PF adds to this pressure significantly when you burst with combustion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by whisperingsage View Post
    You have to use at least one PF outside of combustion, or you're wasting recharge. As far as cancel vs stand far enough, one breaks "always be casting" and one doesn't, so...

However there are exceptions noted earlier like aoe. So in single target, use the fact that PF travels faster than fireball.
    If it's faster or not doesn't really matter. The game checks for crits inside a window, if you fireball + HS Pyro, they both land withing 0,x seconds. If 1 crits you always get HU, if both crit you get HS. Thus if you have HU while casting a new FB, you can press it instantly after the Fireball to gain HS. I don't think it matters if the fireball crits or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Osanger View Post
    Yes as it is very strong for pvp already, against a melee cleave you can pull serious aoe pressure by speccing world in flames and flame patch since you will be hitting two targets at once alot of the time along with flamestrike applying a snare which is essential for kiting. The splash from PF adds to this pressure significantly when you burst with combustion.
    except the whole world in flames/flame patch is not tuned as the playstyle for fire pvp has never been to spam flamestirkes even against cleaves, and with most CC gone, stuff that breaks on damage such as blinds, fears, polys, etc. will be easy to break for good players. they can buff the artifact traits cleave dmg and put the splash into the original PF spell, PF giving u 100% crit is what drives the dmg high, not the actual PF dmg which is 20-30k lower than pyros.

How are fire mages looking with low levels of gear in Legion? (In terms of being competitive within the mage specs/other classes)

I'm new to mages in general, but I've always thought fire mages were inconsistent until much higher gear levels were obtained.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    except the whole world in flames/flame patch is not tuned as the playstyle for fire pvp has never been to spam flamestirkes even against cleaves, and with most CC gone, stuff that breaks on damage such as blinds, fears, polys, etc. will be easy to break for good players. they can buff the artifact traits cleave dmg and put the splash into the original PF spell, PF giving u 100% crit is what drives the dmg high, not the actual PF dmg which is 20-30k lower than pyros.
    I disagree, your playstyle for fire is now not cookie cutter, the talents allow you to adjust that playstyle depending on what comp you are playing. If you are playing RMP(sub) then the flamestrike build will be counter intuitive to your aim and tactics for kills in that comp, as you suggest burst during cc. However the flamestrike build opens up other comp possibilities such as RMP(assas), MLS or a dot heavy godcomp or even a fire version of shadow cleave. Those comps rely on high sustained damage and are less worried about cc. WiF and FP are tuned exactly with that in mind, add the 50% snare, the fact that FP stacks ontop of itself and the playstyle literally screams anti melee cleave since the only thing you need to cast is the occasional poly on a healer which you will be blink prismatic cloak protecting or safely after a double breath.

Watch the first min of this vid with Ven destroying with WiF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGef34uOofw

It will utterly destroy cleave comps like TSG as Holy Pala's need to be in melee range a lot of the time to also heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Byronyk View Post
    How are fire mages looking with low levels of gear in Legion? (In terms of being competitive within the mage specs/other classes)

I'm new to mages in general, but I've always thought fire mages were inconsistent until much higher gear levels were obtained.
    "Were" being the operative word. They specifically addressed that by giving much higher secondary stat values to start with. It's totally reasonable to expect 40% crit even as you only begin to raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    "Were" being the operative word. They specifically addressed that by giving much higher secondary stat values to start with. It's totally reasonable to expect 40% crit even as you only begin to raid.
    Good to know! I'm glad to hear fire won't be as gear dependent as it used to be.

I think I had around 40% crit give or take a few percent the moment I hit 110 on beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    I think I had around 40% crit give or take a few percent the moment I hit 110 on beta.
    Is 40% considered a good starting number? What was the average requirements for crit rating pre 7.0 in raiding before fire became optimal?

Thanks!