Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is trying to start a new raiding guild to hard this far in?

With Legion coming out, and this being expansion number 6, do you guys think its to difficult to establish a raiding guild? Trying to form a group of people when theres already a ton of other raiding guilds. If it isnt to hard, then how would you guys go about establishing a guild with in legion?

Nothing is impossible but it won't be insanely easy either. But it depends on where you are starting. Like are you a respected raider? Do you have some friends with you on the project? You willing to stick it out when it burns to the ground a few times until it gets a footing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, I'm sort of a returning raider. So currently there's no support from friends. But I am seasoned at this(guild leading, raid leading) but are people to scared for change to start somewhere new. Or is it just better off finding some random raid guild

Deleted
    Every day I see new guilds, every time I ask myself why. They disappear as quickly as they form. I've been running my guild since 2008 and it's the same cycle every new expansion, tons of guilds form, tons of guilds die. Which is really sad as often times I have raid spots to give away to those dedicated enough but they've already commited to a failed project, and when they realise it's not happening they start applying, at which point I've recruited someone from some other realm and I'm no longer in need of their service.

What I'm trying to bring forth here is that going to a freshly started guild at the beginning of an expansion instead of an established one is a coin toss at best. A lot of already established guild will be filling their rosters from now till the raids hit but after that your window is gone and only progress matters if you want a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fliida View Post
    ... recruited someone from some other realm and I'm no longer in need of their service.
    Almost sounded like a feudal society. Or your guild members are there to server you. Maybe I'm being harsh. But tis why I stopped raiding and running a guild way back geesh what has it been 7 years ago?

Its not worth it.

Honestly to the OP. Now is the best time. People coming back bigger populations. Remember guilds only die when you stop trying to recruit and just give up.

Just remember there are ups and downs. And it can be a second job. But if its what you want to do then do it. What server/region?

Coming from someone who tried making a guild. Trying to make a 20man roster from down under is very hard. Unless yout have old friends to help out i suggest just to find a guild to raid with. Forming a guild without much history in this age is quite difficult

Have you run a guild before? Its a job. Don't log on every day? - people think the guild is dying and drift away. The odd run doesn't happen due to poor sign ups? People think the guild is dying and drifts away.

Every good guild needs a core pof 4-5 people working on making it rostered and operating - much better to join something and contribute than to start on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by zinfandel View Post
    Have you run a guild before? Its a job. Don't log on every day? - people think the guild is dying and drift away. The odd run doesn't happen due to poor sign ups? People think the guild is dying and drifts away.

Every good guild needs a core pof 4-5 people working on making it rostered and operating - much better to join something and contribute than to start on your own.
    This one speaks the truth. Back in the day. I took one day off for finals. I didn't log on for one day. I put it up as the message of the day. Told everyone a week prior to the day of finals.

Come back the day after the finals and like 12 people had left. Two leaving said sorry you didn't log on for a day. We don't think you are very serious about the game. This was back when it was class...wow...sleep...wow...class...wow...sleep...wow...sleep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Honestly to the OP. Now is the best time. People coming back bigger populations. Remember guilds only die when you stop trying to recruit and just give up.

Just remember there are ups and downs. And it can be a second job. But if its what you want to do then do it. What server/region?
    I actually havent thought about the massive amount of people returning to the game looking to spark up that raiding life again.
    Last edited by Scarge; 2016-08-02 at 02:21 AM.

Starting a guild is always hard, starting a guild weeks before the expansion without an already established group of people is not realistically going to go anywhere. Usually guilds form from groups of people with a mutual interest, if you're just one guy trying to build it up from the ground going in alone you're probably going to fail.

Running a guild is like a full time job, it's a lot of work as you may already know and it's really not something worth doing alone. Save yourself the time, the headaches, the stress and just join an established guild.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Start out doing Normal / Heroic pugs, add people you like to friendslist. Make a core to build around (unless you have one) is going to be the difficult task, any reasonable good guild has a core of stable and good performing raiders you can depend on. Once you got that you can look for fillers of any kind, I suggest getting your 2 tanks and at least 2 healers in your core as they are the hardest roles to replace. It also helps if you're able to play anything so a druid is a good pick for that.

In general most raiders are going to be set in guilds that have a long history and a very established core, my guild for example has the same GM/Raid Leader as it had when it started up 11 years ago and we have many people into their 5th year raiding with the average being 2 years atm. That's raiding with the same guild, they raided before they joined us.

Yes it's hard to start a new guild from scratch but it's doable, just don't expect to be doing anything but heroic for an entire expansion.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarge View Post
    I actually havent thought about the massive amount of people returning to the game looking to spark up that raiding life again.
    I do think its the right time to start trying to do it. Worst thing is it doesn't work for whatever reason. If you start it and realize its a little bit of work go for it. Worst thing you could do is get server first. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Nothing is impossible but it won't be insanely easy either. But it depends on where you are starting. Like are you a respected raider? Do you have some friends with you on the project? You willing to stick it out when it burns to the ground a few times until it gets a footing?
    Quote for true! It's never easy to start a guild, but it's way harder to maintain one. You need to brace yourself for tough moments, no successful long-standing guild has achieved that without crashing and burning a few times. If you haven't had much experience leading one before you might want to join a guild and work your way up to officer first, end of expansions are the perfect tiime for that.

OP you should try it out! You still have an even chance if you stand out. Take guide towards the comments saying it is a full time job. Because, it is hahah
    Having a guild is like running your own business. There is A LOT that goes into it behind the scenes.
    When you start off you need to advertise. Give perks that no other guild or barely any other guilds are getting. You have to also be willing to invest into your guild. No with gold. With your time. New members that join, take the time to not only get to know them, but help them progress with gear.
    Its the people you invest in that will stay. Even if you have to take a day off or two. If you have a guild base with players that log on daily as well as appoint other co-leaders. They will be there for the days you are not.

There really is a lot of things that go into having an established guild. Plenty of research and questions is what will get you to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarge View Post
    With Legion coming out, and this being expansion number 6, do you guys think its to difficult to establish a raiding guild? Trying to form a group of people when theres already a ton of other raiding guilds. If it isnt to hard, then how would you guys go about establishing a guild with in legion?
    The easiest way i have found to start a new raid guild is to join one and become friendly with everyone. After that do everything you can to get some form of officer status. Once you are at that point just splinter the guild and take most of the better players to form a new one. Has worked well for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from the good advice above all I have to say is a couple of questions and a comment...

Q: Why do you want to do this vs joining an existing guild?

Q: what level of raiding are you looking to do?

Q: What realm are you on? that will affect recruiting pool, competition, etc.

Comment: If you do this, make sure you are clear on why and what you want to do then be clear with recruits. Don't tell people "we're going for a full clear Mythic" if you have 5 raiders at the time and haven't seen how good they are. At the same time, if you want to build a mythic guild, don't tell people you want to raid normal and then will see how things go. Be clear on goals but reasonable on how fast you'll get there.

It's possible, but at this point in time, it requires a lot of work and a bit of luck. Pretty much every expansion, my guild has part ways around the 3/4 mark of the expansion and most would return with the new expansions. Thankfully, WoD has turned out to be our best expansion in terms of a solid raiding team. We had to form a new team, but we had a small foundation of players that have been raiding together as far back as Vanilla, but we still needed quite a bit more to fill the roster. Thankfully, my guild is the best it's ever been, no drama, great community, and do very well in raiding. The ups and downs are very real, but if you stick through it, you might surprise yourself!

Deleted
    It depends on your goals - trying to form a serious progression guild right now is.. way too late, you've already missed a lot of raid test time in Legion beta.

Questions to ask - do you have raid leading experience, you're going to need a really good RL (preferably two)? Do you have programming experience (because during progression you'll most likely have to make your own WA's/Addons), how high are you aiming (a lot of the top guilds have specific people doing their websites/logos/streams etc). In many ways, the top progression guilds way more professional now, than they used to be. Do you actually have the commitment to run a guild like that - it's more or less a second job (and often a very thankless one)

Starting a Normal/HC casual guild is almost pointless in WoW now, the devs don't seem to care much about "casual raiding" or non-mythic community building, they've been removing features that encourage guild bulding. if that's your goal, then I'd go with Dungeon Finder pugging, you can get better results at your own convenience and you don't have to go through the guild management headaches or set raiding schedules. Most of the people in Dungeon Finder are friendly and "normal" (just avoid the "one shot run, losers will be kicked"-crowd). There are no perks of being in a guild and if casual boss killing on lower difficulty levels is what you're looking for - then no need to start a guild.

But, if you just want to start a guild to find friends and a community of likeminded peoople to play with - go ahead! Starting something new just before new expac is great timing, because lots of old players will be returning.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now's a good time to give it a try, though your success may be questionable. When you think about it, you're not the only one coming back to the game =).
    You can try cold recruiting; there's some merit and depending on the realm you choose, a lot of players with no guild or just a social guild they're just parked at till they find something better. You're already experienced and I'm late to this thread, so I'll just offer a few words.

Establish a presence both on and off your server. Commit to your scheduled runs whether you have 15 people or 3 people. A reliable schedule is just as important if not more important than the pace of your progression, especially with a few weeks left till the expansion. Make liberal use of the premade group tool and show your folks that "the show must go on." You just might get some of those pugs to reroll on your realm =).
    And good luck =).

We had a core 10 group of 5/13m people and started recruiting in May we are finally up to about 23 good raiders. It definitely takes time