Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

PC Build for Legion Help

Hey everyone,
    I'm currently looking into purchasing a custom built desktop computer through either ibuypower, cyberpower, etc. (self-building out of question), and could really use some input. I have a budget of around $2,000 dollars, but am somewhat out of the loop on today's hardware. The computer I am currently using I purchased 5 years ago, towards the end of 2011. 6970 AMD card with i5-2500k, pretty decent setup at that time. However, I have not been paying much attention to the newer releases, and am completely clueless on dependable motherboards, processors, SSD's, etc. All I know is that I'd love to use the new 1080 card, and just need the other pieces to be strong enough to handle it without going overboard on price. For the past few years, I've mainly been playing WoW, Diablo 3, and League of Legends, and recently added Overwatch. Obviously, these games aren't super intensive on setups, but I'd love to know that I could play Legion comfortably on ultra settings. If you guys could help create some mock builds or even just toss some ideas around in terms of the hardware I mentioned above, specifically motherboard/processor/power supply, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Which resolution are you aiming for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently running at 1920x1080, will probably stick with that.

Look for 6600K/16GB RAM/decent Z170 board/GTX 1070/550W PSU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would you mind telling me why you think the 1070 over the 1080? Just curious, is the 1080 overkill? Just wanted to hear your explanation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by YeahYeah View Post
    Would you mind telling me why you think the 1070 over the 1080? Just curious, is the 1080 overkill? Just wanted to hear your explanation.
    You could go for 1070 and save some money for future upgrades or anything else, however, you could go for 1080 if you have the money and really want it. I do think that a 1060 can handle Legion at highest graphic settings with good FPS though. My friend with 960 can play with Ultra settings and 80 FPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the 6600k strong enough to handle something like a 1080 if I ever went that route, or is there one that is slightly stronger? And specifically, is there a certain z170 board that would be good in a build like this?

Deleted
    I'd recommend you getting a Z170 motherboard, GTX 1080 (or 1070/1060 if you want to save some $), 16GB ram, i5-6600K CPU (i7-6700K if you are going to work with rendering, streaming and music) and preferably 650W PSU.

Btw, don't get confused, i5-6600k works perfectly for gaming so you shouldn't feel like you have to get i7-6700K.

Are you also planning on buying new peripherals or do you already have them?

- - - Updated - - -

Is the 6600k strong enough to handle something like a 1080 if I ever went that route, or is there one that is slightly stronger? And specifically, is there a certain z170 board that would be good in a build like this?

Yes, the 6600k is strong enough to handle the GTX 1080, shouldn't be worried.

1080 is definetely and overkill for your needs. You dont need an i7 for gaming, overclocked 6600K is pretty much the best you can have right now (other than those X99 options, whose price is though the roof).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    1080 is definetely and overkill for your needs. You dont need an i7 for gaming, overclocked 6600K is pretty much the best you can have right now (other than those X99 options, whose price is though the roof).
    ^
    As I said, you could go for 1080 but I'd recommend 1070 if you want to save some money since 1070 is very good aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool, thanks for the help y'all. I do still have my old peripherals, but they have been replaced a few times and are pretty solid. Only thing I may consider is a monitor, depending on how much I can save with the build. Also, a lot of these websites suggest liquid cooling, something my current build does not have. Is that something that is pretty much required at this point?

Deleted
    Cool, thanks for the help y'all. I do still have my old peripherals, but they have been replaced a few times and are pretty solid. Only thing I may consider is a monitor, depending on how much I can save with the build. Also, a lot of these websites suggest liquid cooling, something my current build does not have. Is that something that is pretty much required at this point?
    I myself find liquid cooling difficult and can't really bother with it. It's probably better but you'll seriously be fine without liquid cooling. Should ask @Thunderball ^^

Liquid cooling is useless other than the situation with custom loops with heavily overclocked processors. Other than that good air coolers are quiet, do the job just fine and are cheaper. Liquid cooling is basically a primary thing prebuild PC manufacturers use to milk your money.

My goodness people, stop spending other peoples money.

Get a gtx 1060 and call it a day, it will be a noticeable upgrade in WoW simply for the fact WoW's engine loves nvidia. Secondly make sure to overclock your 2500k, this is all you need for WoW in legion. Dont get caught up with "ultra" settings, they exist only to give you the illusion you need to upgrade hardware with poorly optimized settings, run it on 7-8 and be happy. I know a dude that just got a gtx 1080 and his FPS is less than my 760 because he refuses to drop settings down where they are OPTIMIZED, and the fact he spent all that money...

12 year old engine is exactly that, no amount of money you toss at your rig will make it magically get 100 fps in every scenario in the game, this should be stickied at the top of this forum.

Deleted
    This is what I could come up with.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.38 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($143.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($459.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case ($107.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Fractal Design Integra M 650W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($129.88 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($249.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $1772.16
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-02 18:01 EDT-0400

@Thunderball @YeahYeah
    ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post

Get a gtx 1060 and call it a day, it will be a noticeable upgrade in WoW simply for the fact WoW's engine loves nvidia. Secondly make sure to overclock your 2500k, this is all you need for WoW in legion. Dont get caught up with "ultra" settings, they exist only to give you the illusion you need to upgrade hardware with poorly optimized settings, run it on 7-8 and be happy. I know a dude that just got a gtx 1080 and his FPS is less than my 760 because he refuses to drop settings down where they are OPTIMIZED, and the fact he spent all that money...

12 year old engine is exactly that, no amount of money you toss at your rig will make it magically get 100 fps in every scenario in the game, this should be stickied at the top of this forum.

That is why we are not recommending 1080 atm, he'll be fine with a new build with 1070. Why should he buy GTX 1060 if he has the money for 1070? I mean, GTX 1060 works very well and probably enough to max most games but 1070 is still better for probably other games and future games.

Amen.
    10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you very much everyone, especially on the mock build. I'll be looking into this more over the next 2 days and let you know what I chose, or if I have any more questions. Again, thank you.

Those are prebuilds, they dont have GTX 1060 builds yet.

Deleted
    You don't need 16gb of rams for gaming, looking at the games your play i think 1080 is way way overkill, don't be in a hurry to waste your 2k just for lulz, plan ahead and think what games you want to play in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Those are prebuilds, they dont have GTX 1060 builds yet.
    No i realize that, he should just buy a 1060 and install it himself.....that is ALL he needs to do to be at an effective hardware cap for legion (this thread is titles "PC Build for Legion Help"). He does not need a new PC here, he needs an nvidia graphics card and a solid overclock on his 2500k and he will get a similar experience to someone who spent 2500 dollars on a PC.