Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Outlander had a prominent gay character who got to make love with his man on screen. Penny Dreadful has had many gay characters banging on screen. Shameless has some of the most realistic homosexual characters who don't fall into the stereotype. So many examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    Robb Stark was played by a gay actor. And his character was very much straight.
    No he's not. He's married to Jenna Coleman

How do you even measure "the industry" in any objective sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Outlander had a prominent gay character who got to make love with his man on screen. Penny Dreadful has had many gay characters banging on screen. Shameless has some of the most realistic homosexual characters who don't fall into the stereotype. So many examples.
    Are TV shows considered Hollywood? I don't know, I always thought when people talk about Hollywood they talk about the big movie blockbusters that sell like crazy. That shit is pretty vanilla.

Thanks for the tip though, I wondered if there are any tv shows that don't stereotype the shit out of gays. Just yesterday I watched London Spy, and while they do stereotype, the plot still makes me sad. ;-;

Hollywood is usually and stereo-typically said to be very welcoming of gay actors. Many art fields enjoy that perception as well.
    Do they have something resembling data?.

OffT: That show is nothing without Whoopy.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is pretty clear just from the fact that a lot of actors have to play love/affection scenes, and movie directors aren't eager to include gay characters in their plots, so most of this kind of roles are essentially inaccessible for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberowl View Post
    Are TV shows considered Hollywood? I don't know, I always thought when people talk about Hollywood they talk about the big movie blockbusters that sell like crazy. That shit is pretty vanilla.

Thanks for the tip though, I wondered if there are any tv shows that don't stereotype the shit out of gays. Just yesterday I watched London Spy, and while they do stereotype, the plot still makes me sad. ;-;
    I'd say anything outside of Youtube is 'Hollywood'. Those, however, are all paid channels. Shameless and Penny Dreadful did recently move to netflix though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    How do you even measure "the industry" in any objective sense?
    Did any big producer, movie company, director dare to put a LGBT relationship/actor into the focus of a movie that was supposed to be a big hit?

This is something that happens because aparently a lot of people believe that if you know that X actor is gay, and he plays a straight role, you wont believe it and the movie will be shit, something that I really don't get, I mean...in Brokeback Mountain, for example, is the other way around and at least for me was very believable.

In reality the important thing is the actor's skill, not his personal life.

Same thing for women, like Jodie Foster for example, I freaking love her, but she is nowhere to be seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Isn't Gandalf and Charles Xavier (aka Captain Picard) gay?
    Ian McKellen is, and is best friends with Patrick Stewart, but Patrick Stewart isn't gay.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    Robb Stark was played by a gay actor. And his character was very much straight.
    Richard Madden is not gay. He's dating Jenna Coleman, a woman. I wish though.
    Last edited by obtainz; 2016-08-04 at 09:23 PM.
    My guides:

Did any big producer, movie company, director dare to put a LGBT relationship/actor into the focus of a movie that was supposed to be a big hit?
    Yes. But why is this your way of generalizing to "the industry"?

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaIsForLovers View Post
    How silly. Gays have the same opportunities as everyone else. There literally is nothing stopping a gay from any role a straight could get. How many people in hollywood are homosexual that we don't know about?
    Likely quite a few...think about how many people in your high school theatre/drama club were gay or lesbian...if it was anything like my high school, it was quite a significant amount...

Like it or not a large segment of the US/global population is homophobic, and movies are big business. Film companies/producers are reluctant to cast people that might turn off some audience members; if you haven't noticed, very few actors/actresses in blockbuster/big budget films are gay and/or lesbian. There are a few, like Ian McKellan (who mostly does stage now), Zachary Quinto, etc...Angelina Jolie who had a wild "experimental" bisexual period (obviously there are other actors/actresses that are out...but not very many are out. And, being gay is often another avenue for typecasting.

Hell, the guy that played Will from Will & Grace was a straight man playing a gay dude and he is STILL typecast into gay roles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brokeback Mtn. was a hit. Judging by the production value of the movie, I can say it was intended to be a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post

This is so true. In the industry, we have so many actors, artists and other sorts that people can -tell- and know that they're like that but still haven't came out. Not naming any names at all. But its sad we live in a world where society tells you to be yourself BUT you must live the way THEY want you to live. Conservative acts are literally RUINING society.
    Such a load of crap. How many gay people do you think exist on this planet? You are overreaching by concluding a mindset that a gay person should have every role. You aren't for equality. You are for superiority.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Yes. But why is this your way of generalizing to "the industry"?
    Dunno, because they are too afraid to tell certain stories. Unless you want some DPMOST (dicks per minute on screen time) statistic, that is the best answer I can give you.

If you want to talk about a serious issue that actually exists in hollywood, is the attack on people that come out as religious.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Brokeback Mtn. was a hit. Judging by the production value of the movie, I can say it was intended to be a hit.
    It was? I thought it was some garbage blockbuster playing at 8.15 4 times a year on our go-to private tv station. :P

Maybe gay people could make some hit movies with gay leads?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    Such a load of crap. How many gay people do you think exist on this planet? You are overreaching by concluding a mindset that a gay person should have every role. You aren't for equality. You are for superiority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyster View Post
    If you want to talk about a serious issue that actually exists in hollywood, is the attack on people that come out as religious.
    You just want to redirect the smallest violin of the earth, dontcha?

You probably think homosexuals and bisexuals are as rare as unicorns.