Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    It should take 3 months to get max level. Like it did in classic. More meaningful content that doesn't expire the second you get into raids.
    Never disagreed more in my life, vanilla was a broken pile of crap which only looks good in our memory, spending 3 months leveling sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    I have actually provided arguments for why your way wouldnt work. Arguments that you didnt counter, you just started talking about me instead

Feel free to try and counter them though
    You didn't provide arguments, you just said it can't work because raids and leveling can't work together. They can, and they have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mitre27 View Post
    Never disagreed more in my life, vanilla was a broken pile of crap which only looks good in our memory, spending 3 months leveling sucks.
    I agree, looking back, I prefer levelling now than when I did back then.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Not everyone could play 10 hours a day like you.

Yes, you can go 1-60 in patch 1.12 in "3 weeks"...if you play a minimum of 4-5 hours every day.

But people who play 4-5 hours minimum are a tiny minority. Stop talking like they're the majority.

Pics or it never happened.

Even in vanilla, hunter had I think 2 or 3 melee abilities that actually did damage, and one of them required you to dodge an attack.

So you're telling me that you were essentially autoattacking with melee and somehow outdpsing other hunters?

Yeah. Sure you were, leet master pro of WoW.
    Eww don't misquote me, that 3rd quote was by someone else.

I like having it take time to level... why rush to get to max level.... the only real end game boss is the "waiting boss"... and the "complaining boss"

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Note: a discussion about 100-110, not 1-100.

Whether intentionally or unintentionally, the leveling content has transformed with each expansion and it now takes significantly less time to level to the point where the leveling content has become filler content. The problem here though is that it has taken a disproportionate amount of time to create the content vs. the time to consume the content. If the 100-109 experience was more paced and took longer to accomplish, players will not race through the content and burnout and unsubscribe so quickly.

Should 100-109 be more relevant? Or should that experience be over as soon as possible so players can get to 110 as soon as possible?
    Unfortunately this has been Blizzard's self created monster for a while now. By oversimplifying the content they have to constantly be creating new content. You are 100% correct, their content creation time vs. consumption time is way out of balance. Back in Vanilla, we had a ball leveling, it was about the journey not the destination. Sadly these days the content is so watered down in terms of convenience and ease of play even the most casual can rip straight through it. Leveling and actual game play during that period is almost completely trivial.

All this talk of how long it took to level in Vanilla is stupid. The main point is there wasn't anything special between 1 and 60. People liked leveling more because it was new. It's as simple as that. The leveling is leagues better now than then. I mean while leveling now you have quests, dungeons, rares, lots of treasures to find, profession quests.. There's a lot there really. It's not feasible to have an identical game to 110, but it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkol View Post
    All this talk of how long it took to level in Vanilla is stupid. The main point is there wasn't anything special between 1 and 60. People liked leveling more because it was new. It's as simple as that. The leveling is leagues better now than then. I mean while leveling now you have quests, dungeons, rares, lots of treasures to find, profession quests.. There's a lot there really. It's not feasible to have an identical game to 110, but it's good enough.
    Leveling a character certainly wasnt a new concept. People like Vanilla because, yes being 'new' game helped, but more importantly there was a large sense of community, exploration, and adventure. This was by design from the original development team. Design that is lacking in today's game.

When did this turn into the Vanilla Megathread?

If you want the game to be for role playing, then yes it should be more important.
    If you want a serious competitive atmosphere, you can't balance 100 levels. No way.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by Ferwyn View Post
    I agree, looking back, I prefer levelling now than when I did back then.
    I prefer just zero leveling. Not really needed in the game tbh.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It should take 3 months to get max level. Like it did in classic. More meaningful content that doesn't expire the second you get into raids.
    I must admit, I played on a Vanilla private server and it took me several weeks to get to 60.

Guess what? It felt amazing to hit 60! I genuinely was proud for once. First time I felt accomplished in the game in a long time.

I doubt I'll have the same joy when I hit 110, might be wrong. Frankly, I think live-WoW just has so many other goals to work towards, that it's okay.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    At what point in Vanilla could you queue for BGs in a major city? Did you not play back then when you had to actually go to the BG?
    Nope; I started playing at about the same time Naxx came out; and by that point in time I could quee from SW-keep.

i see you havent played the Beta? Atleast it sounds as if you have not. There is plenty to do at Max lvl, engaging stuff. Im sure there is still stuff that could be better but i think this will be the expansion where i will still have stuff to do after 1year. And then i am speaking as a fairly casual player that dont play 24/7.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Demithio View Post
    Leveling a character certainly wasnt a new concept. People like Vanilla because, yes being 'new' game helped, but more importantly there was a large sense of community, exploration, and adventure. This was by design from the original development team. Design that is lacking in today's game.

I would argue that for the VAST majority of players the game was new. Most of the people had not played EQ and the like.

This issue is linear for me because before this i have not learn more detail about it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I prefer just zero leveling. Not really needed in the game tbh.
    The secret world has that actually. XP gives ability points which you then spend to buy abilities. It's actually pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Karrmer View Post
    Yeah, is this guy high? World first took 10 days, and most hardcore decent players were within a few days. The slow but decent players that played a lot were at MOST a couple weeks later.

3 weeks to hit 60 was your average joe decent guy playing a bit.

6 months? Lmao.
    Did i say it took me 6 months? no i didnt read before you replay next time. by the 6 month mark you had been level 60 for MONTHS. but some vanilla dreamers think it took this long, dunno why but they are delusional and think vanilla as a whole was fantastic

Deleted
    I think one huge problem/mistake blizzard did is that they watered down the journey of one character. Ppl have every class max lvl nowdays. There is no commitment to just one character. In vanilla if you wanted to make new char it was a big deal to lvl it up and get geared. The lvling is just pointless now cause there are no COMMITMENT to just one character. Ofc most ppl are bored at lvling at this point.
    imo If they kept the lvling and phase of the game like it used to be, ppl would have so much more to do and the things to do in expansions would be A LOT longer.
    Lvling and the game is just too fast with heirlooms, dungeon finder, bonus exp, raid finder etc. It was better when the game took TIME and COMMITMENT to continue your one character journey.

Ofc i get the point that in vanilla ppl couldnt play their class how they would mby want to and was kinda "forced" to make new char if they wanted dps etc. but if every spec would be valid i see no downsides on this.

Pls tell me the downsides of this?
    Last edited by mmocb797a40363; 2016-08-05 at 11:52 AM.

Deleted
    Just for the people discussing how long it took to reach 60 in vanilla. I'll always remember I had exactly 23 days played on my first character the moment i dinged 60. Granted that was a character I did a fuckton of exploring, world PvP and idling on during the leveling process and wasn't rushed a single bit. My first alt to 60 was a lot less, I think 12 days played.

If I played 8 hours a day 23 days /played would equate to 69 days IRL. If I played 4 hours a day it would be 138 days IRL. It was probably something around 3 months though, cause I was a teenager with no life spending every moment I wasn't sleeping or in school playing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepra View Post
    It was better when the game took TIME and COMMITMENT to continue your one character journey.
    I think this is the worst argument because this only will include people who do not raid and have no real ambition to be good at this game. This argument got us terrible legendary attunement which only hit raiders, this got us artifacts that only hit raiders because it attunes the ground zero or "when the game starts" after you have completed it - with all specs and characters, all you do before is garbage.