Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Not yet, first I will remove one of the ram sticks as you mentioned previously and try again. My fingers need a rest haha.
    I am using the button on the motherboard itself.
    If you zoom in on the last picture, on the left hand side you can make out the power button.
    Last edited by mmoc1e7c047fa5; 2016-08-06 at 08:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Korialstrasz, Aman'thul, Proudmoore, Khaz'goroth, Stormrage, Lightbringer and Aerie Peak
    Going for a nap OP brb in 2 hours or so
    i7-4770k, Noctua NHD15, 16gb RipjawsX, Asus Z87A mobo, GTX 970 Palit, Samsung EVO 240GB SSD, WDC Black 1TB, Corsair HX850, XigmatekTalon case, Logitech G910 keyboard/G502 mouse.

I'm happy to help to test paladin-related stuff. I have 6 Ret pallies.

Also currently playing: S4 HC Crusader @ Diablo 3: RoS and SC2: Legacy of the Void

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendara View Post
    Not yet, first I will remove one of the ram sticks as you mentioned previously and try again. My fingers need a rest haha.
    I am using the button on the motherboard itself.
    If you zoom in on the last picture, on the left hand side you can make out the power button.
    Any reason you used the "black" slots for DRAM? Asus recommends A2 and B2 (grey ones, further from cpu) in the case of 2 modules.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyena View Post
    Any reason you used the "black" slots for DRAM? Asus recommends A2 and B2 (grey ones, further from cpu) in the case of 2 modules.
    That's where I had the sticks initially, this was the first variation.

I added 2 images, one with the board 'in action' with only one stick and another of the PSU underside.

http://imgur.com/a/sFL1G

Edit:

I will try and exchange the sticks. Tried all variations of sticks. No change.

Reading up on CMOS reset now.
    Last edited by mmoc1e7c047fa5; 2016-08-06 at 09:08 AM.

Deleted
    "Board plugged in and connected with 1 RAM stick" image: a few weeks ago I was testing certain Corsair RAM modules in the exact same Z170-A, and the POST was never successful unless I used the "grey" slots, A2 or B2. Otherwise it was all BIOS beeping and errors. That's why I asked.

Deleted
    Ah, I see. I tested either stick in the A2 slot now and nothing yet.

Edit : I cannot get to the battery for the life of me. Need to take off the CPU cooler again.. damn it. Nevermind, got it. After gathering some information I will leave the battery out for ~30 mins.
    Last edited by mmoc1e7c047fa5; 2016-08-06 at 10:03 AM.

Deleted
    Then I am out of ideas for the time being. Ofc there is still the case power switch instead of the onboard button, to rule out that minuscule chance of some malfunction with that switch... and checking if all PSU cables are in place and really firmly connected, especially the MB ATX24 supplementary part in the upper right corner of that last screenshot of the psu.

10+ Year Old Account
    Korialstrasz, Aman'thul, Proudmoore, Khaz'goroth, Stormrage, Lightbringer and Aerie Peak
    Question: does your motherboard have a dvi or vga connector to a monitor? Is it hooked up to a monitor yet?
    i7-4770k, Noctua NHD15, 16gb RipjawsX, Asus Z87A mobo, GTX 970 Palit, Samsung EVO 240GB SSD, WDC Black 1TB, Corsair HX850, XigmatekTalon case, Logitech G910 keyboard/G502 mouse.

Also currently playing: S4 HC Crusader @ Diablo 3: RoS and SC2: Legacy of the Void

So no activity on the processor cooler when you power it up? Seems to be either a PSU or a motherboard problem (assuming everything is assembled correctly, make sure you PSU detachable cables are connected to the right sockets), best way to diagnose it would be connecting the PSU to the working build.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    I have not connected it to any output device. It has both vga and dvi

https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards/Z170-A/
    @Thunderball, have you taken a look at the imgur pictures? I took one of the PSU which I think is correctly plugged in.

update: Put the battery in again, tried again, no change.

The last idea I have is to remove the CPU again, take pictures and post them here.

And using the 2-pin adapter for the case power button instead of the mainboard button.
    Last edited by mmoc1e7c047fa5; 2016-08-06 at 10:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Vendara how can you tell if its not able to POST? By beeps?

Also unless you see bent pins on your processor there's no need to remove it from the slot actually. What's your processor again?
    Last edited by Kanael; 2016-08-06 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Additional info

I have not connected it to any output device. It has both vga and dvi

https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards/Z170-A/
    @Thunderball, have you taken a look at the imgur pictures? I took one of the PSU which I think is correctly plugged in.

update: Put the battery in again, tried again, no change.

The last idea I have is to remove the CPU again, take pictures and post them here.

And using the 2-pin adapter for the case power button instead of the mainboard button.
    I dont see that you have 8 pin motherboard power connected.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanael View Post
    So Vendara how can you tell if its not able to POST? By beeps?

Also unless you see bent pins on your processor there's no need to remove it from the slot actually. What's your processor again?
    intel i5 6600k.

No CPU fan movement.

http://imgur.com/0E7AY5A <- how the power cables are connected.

I am grabbing a monitor to see if ANYTHING at all shows.
    Last edited by mmoc1e7c047fa5; 2016-08-06 at 10:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait your fan is connected somewhere at the top? Are you sure that's the correct one? Also try using the original Heatsink and fan your 6600k came with. If it still doesnt work then its probably the memory (which I have assumed at this point you tried to use only one and tried each slot, one at a time, per power on). If still nothing, then its your motherboard.

Deleted
    Wait your fan is connected somewhere at the top? Are you sure that's the correct one? Also try using the original Heatsink and fan your 6600k came with. If it still doesnt work then its probably the memory (which I have assumed at this point you tried to use only one and tried each slot, one at a time, per power on). If still nothing, then its your motherboard.
    The 6600k didn't have a heatsink in the box.

Right, if you click on http://imgur.com/ZiEqjqD and zoom in, on the right hand side you can see the tiny letters CPU_FAN where I plugged it in. I ran each ram stick through every slot, and both of them in A2B2 and A1B1, no movement at all.

Also, is there another way to find out if it's the CPU other than removing it from the socket? The mainboard has error LED's for CPU/RAM/VGA but none of those are active. But if the board is indeed broken there is no way to know if they should fire but can't.

Unfortunately I only own one other PC (the one I am using to communicate with you awesome people!) so I cannot readily switch out parts to test them one by one, like the PSU as Thunderball suggested.
    Last edited by mmoc1e7c047fa5; 2016-08-06 at 10:46 AM.

6660K doesnt come with a heatsink.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 6600k didn't have a heatsink in the box.

Right, if you click on http://imgur.com/ZiEqjqD and zoom in, on the right hand side you can see the tiny letters CPU_FAN where I plugged it in. I ran each ram stick through every slot, and both of them in A2B2 and A1B1, no movement at all.
    Yep I also checked Newegg, kinda hard to know since I dont have a hardcopy of the manual

http://imgur.com/a/lPCW0

Try asking a PC building friend to come to your house I guess if returning the motherboard takes too long...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    6660K doesnt come with a heatsink.
    I give up

Yep I also checked Newegg, kinda hard to know since I dont have a hardcopy of the manual

http://imgur.com/a/lPCW0

Try asking a PC building friend to come to your house I guess if returning the motherboard takes too long...
    Fan will work when connected any any fan header on the board if there is power.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately I only own one other PC (the one I am using to communicate with you awesome people!) so I cannot readily switch out parts to test them one by one, like the PSU as Thunderball suggested.
    You dont really have an option now. You have to make sure your PSU is supplying power to the board (your description indicated that the board is not powered up).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You dont really have an option now. You have to make sure your PSU is supplying power to the board (your description indicated that the board is not powered up).
    In that case, what does the green PWR LED on the board even indicate since that one is active when I switch on the PSU
    Last edited by mmoc1e7c047fa5; 2016-08-06 at 11:00 AM.

In that case, what does the green PWR LED on the board even indicate?
    Just looked up the manual. The PWR Button is supposed to light up, when the board is connected to a PSU. The PWR LED (little green next to the PWR Button) is actually the Standby Power LED, indicating, that the system is in standby, sleep or soft-off mode.

Neither of those modes sounds like you've any problem so far.