Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    A helpful example of why WoW is CPU bound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASf9QW2TKJo
    A great video that illustrates my point, it's a shame he doesn't show the difference between 4.5 and stock (3.9) but at least it shows what I was saying about the CPU being a bottleneck at low clock speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Spagetto View Post
    he downclocks the GPU and loses almost nothing.
    He lost 10% of his FPS by down-clocking the GPU by 7.5%, and he even says it's noticeable when you move around >.>

i would wager if you open u p the on screen display to monitor gpu usage you wont get anywhere near 100% at max boost clock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The DNC is a private organization, and they're free to "collaborate" to elect whoever they like to the leadership of their party. There's literally nothing illegal or shady about it.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    A great video that illustrates my point, it's a shame he doesn't show the difference between 4.5 and stock (3.9) but at least it shows what I was saying about the CPU being a bottleneck at low clock speeds.
    Your CPU's stock speed is 3.4Ghz, not 3.9. You lost 1,100 Mhz - 1.1Ghz - by going back to stock from your supposed OC.

It also doesn't support you... at all. If you think that, you're mentally handicapped. And trying to move the goalposts.

How about this:

Ill just put you on ignore with all the other people who aren't intelligent enough to read and comprehend simple things. You can go on spewing lies and misinformation, and i wont have to see it.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Your CPU's stock speed is 3.4Ghz, not 3.9.
    Intel would like to tell you about something called Turbo Boost.

You lost 1,100 Mhz - 1.1Ghz - by going back to stock from your supposed OC.
    4500 - 3900 = 600, not 1100 >.>

It also doesn't support you... at all.
    Yes it does, it shows a noticeable performance loss from running the CPU at sub 3GHz like I said, and it shows that once he had enough performance to meet the games demands that issue went away (sadly he didn't show that the CPUs stock speed meets that level). It also showed that as he had that level of CPU performance the game was quite GPU dependant like I said (losing 10% FPS due to slowing the GPU my just 7.5%, and resulting in a noticeable jerkiness as he stated).

Basically the video showed what I claimed as did the narration.

If you think that, you're mentally handicapped. And trying to move the goalposts.
    Or maybe I watched the video instead of just finding something I assumed backed up my argument and linking it?

How about this:

Ill just put you on ignore with all the other people who aren't intelligent enough to read and comprehend simple things.
    Sure thing, sorry I couldn't help you understand how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    ... why not? It's time I upgraded, I have the funds, why not upgrade so that it'll last for a while? Would be nice to be ahead of things at least once in terms of my comp.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'll be sure to put it on the list! I'm building entirely new, from the bottom up and all the way out to the casing.
    6600k should be a good choice currently...I always go for the step up...but mainly because I don't listen to people who tell me that it is overkill for gaming, then realize it's overkill for gaming.
    || Ryzen 5800X || Asus RTX 3070 KO OC || Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3600 || Asus X570 || Corsair 5000D Airflow ||

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently setup with a 780 TI. Wondering if it's worth upgrading to a 1070 yet or not. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated (4770 and 32gb ram if it helps)

Your CPU's stock speed is 3.4Ghz, not 3.9. You lost 1,100 Mhz - 1.1Ghz - by going back to stock from your supposed OC.

It also doesn't support you... at all. If you think that, you're mentally handicapped. And trying to move the goalposts.

How about this:

Ill just put you on ignore with all the other people who aren't intelligent enough to read and comprehend simple things. You can go on spewing lies and misinformation, and i wont have to see it.
    I think he just don't know how to properly test things.
    A simple test: go to a crowded area and watch your fps go down. Cpu core at max and gpu "idling" even at near max settings.
    But he seems to only test things which are gpu limited.
    (guees he will tell it's gpu limited lol)

Yes cpu will make 'no' difference in such situations.

Beeing at stormwind with maxed settings 1080p with ssaa4 (so 4k) and gpu is bored because cpu is hammered with all the players (+ all the addons) just as an example. (1070 gtx, i7 2600k @4ghz)
    But sure it's gpu bound.

People should really learn to distinguish. Yes there are things which are gpu limited. BUT most (serious) situations like raiding, battleground etc are cpu limited.
    Nobody cares if you are gpu limited in Mount hyal while solo questing and looking into heavy particle effects like fire, mists,...

Legion client have the option to toggle multi-core / multi-cpu support or is it natively coded ? Since the 7.x patch everything is running to a crawl, have adjusted video settings down to fair and even minimums and still get choppy bits now and then. Seems odd when prior to patch everything was smooth, maybe there is some code that still needs optimized :-/

any game becomes very gpu dependent on resolutions such as 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
    With the new Legion graphics, I decided to upgrade because I run 4K (couldn't max many games anymore), and I was no longer getting a solid 60+ FPS on the 10 preset with no AA enabled.

My previous build was a 3770k @ 4.5GHz with 32GB of DDR3 1866. I upgraded that to a 6700k @ 4.6GHz and 32GB DDR4 3200. There was no difference in the game, I tested multiple zones and did the same flight path loops. Safe to say, if you have a decently overclocked processor it's probably not the bottleneck anymore, even if it's a few years old.

I then upgraded my Titan X (Maxwell edition) to the new Titan X (Pascal edition) that just came out yesterday. I overclocked it to +200/+500 just for giggles. The difference is huge. I went from seeing 45-50FPS in Hyjal due to that very thick grass, to around 98-114FPS. Every zone runs like butter again, even on the new 10 preset. I enabled 8x MSAA (overkill for 4K, but why not if you can?), and I am still maintaining 60+ FPS in every zone while flying around.

So can we put the "WoW is a CPU bottleneck" claims to rest? This is no longer the case, and honestly hasn't been the case since WoD launched. Your CPU will only be the bottleneck if you are running an old processor at stock clocks or a super low resolution.

Hope this helps someone that is planning to upgrade for Legion.
    Gratz for making the worst purchase you could have made.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skutch View Post
    Legion client have the option to toggle multi-core / multi-cpu support or is it natively coded ? Since the 7.x patch everything is running to a crawl, have adjusted video settings down to fair and even minimums and still get choppy bits now and then. Seems odd when prior to patch everything was smooth, maybe there is some code that still needs optimized :-/
    DX11 isn't the graphics API that properly utilizes multi-core functionality. As long as they don't migrate it to 12, little to nothing will fundamentally change.
    And single core performance is still king.

The thing with the operating systems is that they are pretty good at balancing load via schedulers right now. Which creates an illusion of it using all the cores. And it does but in reality, the main bit, in other words, almost all of it, stays on that one core. Once it reaches it's limits, stuff is shuffled around but not without taking performance hits.

PS. I'm on a 3770k, I have another system with an i5-3570k. Using a gtx970 @1080p, absolutely fine.

There are a few ridiculous graphics settings that are ultimately just problem childs and after turning them off, it's always smooth, except boss encounters which may drop to high 40s, mid 50s in intenser moments and city areas, only. Rest of it runs at my display cap around 145. CPU is clocked manually to 42.

Yea I won't argue there, in Mythic raiding CPU does matter more.
    And this is exactly why the accusations of this being a brag thread are true. Mythic raiding? Raiding period. You mentioned Mythic because, let's face it, this is 100% self promotion and you can't resist.

I could really care less if you two think I made this to brag. There were tons of people wanting to know what to upgrade with the new legion settings. I'm 30 years old, I stopped caring about impressing people over a decade ago. I made this thread to help, so troll elsewhere please.

Not everyone spends most their times in raids, and I never claimed this was the case in raids. I said there's an improvement while flying around. At 4K, GPU is still the bottleneck in raids according to MSI afterburner. At 1080p? It might still be the CPU I have no idea.

Either way, GPU does matter and people were claiming you'll see no gains by upgrading it. You will, just maybe not in raids depending your resolution and processor.

Yea I won't argue there, in Mythic raiding CPU does matter more.

I upgraded to the 6700k for multiple reasons, one being ultra fast M.2 SSDs for work related tasks. I knew it'd probably make little to no difference in games.
    The difficulty makes no difference. It's the sheer number of models and effects going on at once, which is a function of the number of people/pets/models and their effects in the raid, not the raid difficulty (and to some extent the individual boss, but not as much as # of ppl). This is why CPU is considered such a big deal in WoW. And it's not just raiding, that's just the most common area u have a bunch of detailed models, all sending out detailed spell effects at the same time. Heroic/normal/LFR raiding could potentially be the worst with up to 30 people.
    Last edited by BananaHandsB; 2016-08-06 at 05:18 PM.

Make sure you got everything up-to-date, both addons, drivers.. also there might be some new options (and such) that changed that you need to fix yourself :P

I have a shit CPU and would just like to state the resources required to run battlegrounds an arena is close to nothing by today's hardware standards. The exception of course being Alterac Valley and Isle of Conquest.

I upgraded my GPU in 2015 and saw little FPS increase in Wow especially just standing around in the Draenor areas and Ashran with the game on High settings not even Ultra I saw 20 fps if I was lucky.

Don't raid but im sure it is quite cpu intensive.

The older areas of the game especially the older instanced zones its easy to exceed 100 fps even on old hardware.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get what OP is saying I've got an i7 6700k OC to 4.9 GHz w/ a 1070 currently and the GPU is definitely a bottleneck because it's at 100% usage.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-