Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lucred View Post
    And yes, I just pulled a number of nines out of nothing to represent how certain it is that other life exists.
    Let me pull out a number of zeroes to show how unlikely life is.

Let's say there are a quintillion earth-like planets out there. What if the odds of life arising on said planets is 1 in one quintillion?

Let's say there are a centillion earth-like planets out there. What if the odds of life arising on said planets is 1 in one centillion?

Let's say there are a googol earth-like planets out there. That's a 1 with 100 zeroes after it, or 10^100. What if the odds of life arising on said planets is 1 in one googol?

Let's say there are a googolplex earth-like planets out there. That's a 1 with a googol zeroes after it, or 10^10^100. What if the odds of life arising on said planets is 1 in one googolplex?

The point is, it doesn't matter how massive the universe is when we don't know what the odds of life are.

We just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I understood = ) Which is why I threw my comment out there. I don't think he could have done it alone (or even with the help of his family).
    Ah, I see. Touché.
    Last edited by Tzalix; 2016-08-08 at 04:51 PM.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Answer me this.

1. In the tree of life there is a root, the one organism that every other species springs from.

2. You need some kind of record to improve on, RNA, DNA whatever. If there is no record then no matter how complex a species is formed everything is lost. So our mother root had RNA or DNA. You need to record your improvements and pass them onto the next generation.

3. That one organism had to reproduce from day one. Cell division probably.

4. She had to gather enough energy to do all of this.

So on Monday there was primordial soup that had none of the above features.

On Tuesday Mother Root was born, the mother of everything on Earth.

Doesn't seem likely.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Answer me this.

1. In the tree of life there is a root, the one organism that every other species springs from.

2. You need some kind of record to improve on, RNA, DNA whatever. If there is no record then no matter how complex a species is formed everything is lost. So our mother root had RNA or DNA. You need to record your improvements and pass them onto the next generation.

Doesn't seem likely.
    A creator isn't any more likely. A creator would equally be the mother (or father, or whatever) of everything on earth. What day did he pop up on?
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

MANBEARPIG IS OUT THERE! We have to build an inter-dimensional spaceship so we can find the planet he is hiding on!

10+ Year Old Account
    CI1 meteor had alien life in it, alien is 100%fact. Google not hard. Little green/gray men visiting earth from distant planets, less likely, maybe possibility. Alien life on earth 100% fact since 2011.
    Processor:Intel I5 8600 @ 3.5Ghz
    Ram:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) ddr4
    GPU: EVGA SC 1070
    some other stuff i can't remember eh

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    @belfpala

It is quiet in the woods. Enjoy the tranquility. Ignore the pesky whippoorwills. Iä! Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat [of the Woods] with a Thousand Young!
    Also don't do any rituals near fertile pastures or near rocky caves.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Answer me this.

Doesn't seem likely.
    Why does it not seem likely? The biggest issue is going from non-life to life, but that likely happened in stages as well.

We came from somewhere, so nothing that could be called life to something that is barely describable as life, to something else and so on until now, is the most plausible based on the understanding we have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    CI1 meteor had alien life in it, alien is 100%fact. Google not hard. Little green/gray men visiting earth from distant planets, less likely, maybe possibility. Alien life on earth 100% fact since 2011.
    You're right, google not hard:

"CI1 fossils refer to alleged morphological evidence of microfossils found in five CI1 carbonaceous chondrite meteorite fall: Alais, Orgueil, Ivuna, Tonk and Revelstoke."

Keyword marked in bold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post

"CI1 fossils refer to alleged morphological evidence of microfossils found in five CI1 carbonaceous chondrite meteorite fall: Alais, Orgueil, Ivuna, Tonk and Revelstoke."

Keyword marked in bold.
    It is an alleged fact, which is even better than a normal fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post

Keyword marked in bold.
    After NASA ran tests there were a wide range of extraterrestrial bacteria present, ur quoting one random news site before testing was complete

Sorry OP, I don't know.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    After NASA ran tests there were a wide range of extraterrestrial bacteria present, ur quoting one random news site before testing was complete
    No evidence of extraterrestrial life has ever been proven.

10+ Year Old Account
    After NASA ran tests there were a wide range of extraterrestrial bacteria present, ur quoting one random news site.
    I'm quoting wikipedia. You're not quoting anything.

All these claims about these meteorites containing bacteria do not come from NASA, they come from The Journal of Cosmology, which has been questioned several times for making outlandish claims and speculating wildly. NASA immediately distanced themselves from the claims of Richard B. Hoover, who wrote about these supposed bacteria, because they knew it was all baseless nonsense. NASA did at one point examine a rock on Mars that had seemingly moved from one spot to another between photos taken by the Mars rover. They figured the rover had flicked the rock a couple of feet while turning. The Journal of Cosmology, however, concluded that the "rock" must in fact be a living organism that moved on its own and they demanded that NASA investigate it. As it turns out, NASA had already investigated it very closely. It was a rock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    No evidence of extraterrestrial life has ever been proven.
    You can download the PDF of the testing right off NASA website.
    Search PDF CI1 NASA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I didn't load anything, taking Occam's razor into account i asked what people thought was more likely.
    Occams razor says “It is vain to do with more what can be done with less.”

I fail to see how that’s applicable here, perhaps you would clarify?
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Search PDF CI1 NASA
    So what would be the biggest news story in scientific history is only known to people who downloaded a pdf? You do not think that perhaps you misunderstood their conclusions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Answer me this.

Doesn't seem likely.
    Not likely? Perhaps.

Impossible? Not even remotely.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Search PDF CI1 NASA
    You know who wrote that PDF? Richard B. Hoover. He has claimed three times that he found alien bacteria in meteorites. Once in 1997, once in 2007, and once again in 2011. Every time it was debunked. He no longer works at NASA.

For those curious, I can't get to the PDF right now for some reason, but here's a cached version from google: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=en
    Last edited by Tzalix; 2016-08-08 at 05:23 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    We were created.

...by sperm and egg coming together.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmollster11 View Post

I choose God, because people are not smart enough to simply fabricate the Bible and all it's glory.
    I recommend you read up on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller...rey_experiment and prebiotic organic synthesis. Which means we have some evidence for it, and it makes sense in the greater scheme of scientific understanding. On the other hand, we have no evidence whatsoever of a Creator, and especially no evidence of a Creator as YOU imagine it.

Anyways to address your "Bible glory" thing.

Competing texts that make as much sense or more than the Bible.

The Sutras, The Vedas, The Quran, The Avesta.

Hell, the Iliad in a sense filled a similar role for ancient Greeks as the Bible does for Christians. Not to mention the Confucian Four Books. From a purely literary and philosophical standpoint, the Bible for all its popularity is remarkably, boring, self contradictory and frankly unimaginative.

I always preferred Hellenic Mythology. It sure makes more fun to read.

I also think people can learn a lot more about morality and ethics from Marcus Aurelius than they can from most religious texts.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-08-08 at 05:51 PM.