Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Alliance Honourable death

Since yesterday,i've been thinking - can Varian's death be considered a honourable one,the death he actually deserved? I think,there's no doubt, that he died as a hero, but heck, did he die in battle?Why did Blizzard have to put him on his knees before that fel filled bag of bones?Really getting a feeling,that he was executed more than he died in battle,cause the wound he got behind didn't seem mortal to me (or was it?).

What is your opinion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Varian's death was fine. He got the "for the Alliance" in before Gul'dan killed him.

It's Tirion's death that was pretty ignominious.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Varian's death was fine. He got the "for the Alliance" in before Gul'dan killed him.

It's Tirion's death that was pretty ignominious.
    Well,probably it was meant to be a mortal wound and it wasn't displayed correctly,thus making it look like a demon stabbed him in the shoulder more than his chest. If it's meant like he was mortally wounded and despite the pain he finds in himself the strength to raise his head and defiantly spit in the face of gul'dan "For the Alliance", im fine with it.

Genn should have jumped and let him live. Varian got to save the few people on that boat that hadn't fallen off so that is nice, but it isn't like his death is what the alliance leave. He killed himself to save maybe 10 people.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Genn should have jumped and let him live. Varian got to save the few people on that boat that hadn't fallen off so that is nice, but it isn't like his death is what the alliance leave. He killed himself to save maybe 10 people.
    Three of those people were Jaina, Geblin, and Genn; three powerhouses in the Alliance. Sacrifice one to save three or lose all four. The math was easy.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Three of those people were Jaina, Geblin, and Genn; three powerhouses in the Alliance. Sacrifice one to save three or lose all four. The math was easy.
    Don't forget the PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why didn't Jaina just mass teleport them all?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexsa View Post
    Obviously this was her plan all along.

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Genn is the only one we know for sure was on there. If Jaina is why she didn't open a portal and save a few people is a big plot hole in the escape. Again Genn should have jumped over him and saved his king and let the other people get away.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post
    Since yesterday,i've been thinking - can Varian's death be considered a honourable one,the death he actually deserved? I think,there's no doubt, that he died as a hero, but heck, did he die in battle?Why did Blizzard have to put him on his knees before that fel filled bag of bones?Really getting a feeling,that he was executed more than he died in battle,cause the wound he got behind didn't seem mortal to me (or was it?).

What is your opinion?
    He died fighting for what his goal was. Gul'dan gave him special attention after causing so much trouble. Better than dying to a stray bolt, a rock, a demon stab (*looks at funeral pyre*) or such.

- - - Updated - - -

Genn is the only one we know for sure was on there. If Jaina is why she didn't open a portal and save a few people is a big plot hole in the escape. Again Genn should have jumped over him and saved his king and let the other people get away.
    The High Tinker we know too, as the airship tilts, you see him hold some soldiers with his mech.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Varian entrusted Genn with relaying a message to Anduin.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Gelbin can be seen trying to save a soldier when the fel reaver grabs the ship.

I'm not sure Genn can oneshot a fel reaver the way Varian did. I'm not sure anyone in that ship could. If the wrong person tried, the whole thing would have gone down.

Also, storytelling, all that situation was built to sacrifice Varian, if you can think of a better scenario where his death would have been more necessary or unavoidable, feel free to write a fanfic about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Varian entrusted Genn with relaying a message to Anduin.
    Not to mention that the whole reason they got away was because Varian slammed his sword into the Reaver's head. Not sure what Genn could have done since he doesn't seem to wield one any weapons. Varian knew the stakes and probably though he was the best one with the best chance for the majority of people getting away.

And you only see 10 people on top of the gunship, I'm pretty sure the hold had a number of people as well.

Was wondering that. She didn't even appear in the cinematic.

Why cant Varion and Voljin walk back to there body and res?

Because Jaina's a dreadlord, remember?

Saying that there were only few soldiers on board is wrong. You know, You personally and your raid party members were there aswell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felixon View Post

What is your opinion?
    He died after Deus Exin the shit out of some ridicuosly sized Fel Reaver and then some. In comparison, Vol'jin kills two felbats after getting impaled like a pinata. I'm not sure can you even be serious. He died saving his friends, what more do you want?

Blizz put him on his knees because guess what, thats what dying does to you. And Guldan decimating his body is the best thing ever since now he can't come back as FelVarian the raid boss aka the fanservice.

Deleted
    definition of honour varies from one group to another. but was it honourable? no, more stupid than not. these alliance soldiers should have jumped on the fel mech and kill it. wasting king on it, well, is a waste. unless he was the only one on the hell ship, except Genn who could do it but well, cheap writing. all the gits would do it. their lives belong to the king anyway, but nope, nooope.

Deleted
    You'll find that most actual death is in the end fairly ignoble, the act that precedes it is what can define if it was honorable or not.

Varian might have been blown up by Gul'dan in a final moment of screaming agony, but he served his people one final time when he decided to bite that bullet and commit himself to save the rest of them. He never wavered before the fel fire forced the physical reaction of pain, the only satisfaction Gul'dan would ever be able to extract from the defeated sovereign.