Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The amount of events/medals in swimming is too high tbh. USA won 18 of their 26 medals just from swimming. If you are a nation that excels at this sport you are pretty much guaranteed a top 3 medal spot, even if it was the only sport you took part in.

Or I want 20 events in horse riding in return. (not really I hate it)

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    The amount of events/medals in swimming is too high tbh. USA won 18 of their 26 medals just from swimming. If you are a nation that excels at this sport you are pretty much guaranteed a top 3 medal spot, even if it was the only sport you took part in.

Can we combine all the Speed Skating events at the Winter Olympics? The Dutch would certainly love it.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2016-08-10 at 06:16 PM.

Deleted
    BBC one has male gymnastics finals now on if you missed it. Nearly over. Fantastic.

The problem is that you only get one medal from team sports. Maybe team sports should be awarded a medal per # of teammates, or at least 1 per starter. Let's face it, team sports usually take the full 2 weeks to finish as it is, thus awarding more in terms of totals makes at least some sense.

Deleted
    After seeing the success of the rugby sevens I think the football should be switched to five-a-side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ledecky is a freaking beast. She caught up then put a full second on Austrailuas team.

There are 17 swimming events, the US has 520 medals in those, followed by Australia with 178 but because 2 countries dominate them we should get rid of some events? 15 of the 17 have been in 10 or more Olympic games..

There are 47 athletic events, the US has won 767 medals in those over the decades, the next closest is Great Britain at 194 medals, maybe we should get rid of those because seemingly 1 country dominates them?

Gymnastics has 18 events, the US and like 2 other nations (not counting the former dominate USSR) typically win medals there also, should we lower the number of events?

There are 13 boxing events, the US, Cuba and Great Britain win pretty often, who needs 13 boxing events

France is pretty much alone in Cycling, there are 18 events, it isn't fair because the French excel at cycling...

Deleted
    USA stronk!

In fairness, sometimes the difference between US athletes and the others is simply too much. In women gymnastics for example, although the Russians were also good, the US team was simply too much to handle. And that means great training facilities and money well spent.

Having said that, come on, only the lamest of the lames starts cock measuring contests over the olympic medal table!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    After seeing the success of the rugby sevens I think the football should be switched to five-a-side.
    I say 3v3 even.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    USA stronk!

... And that means great training facilities and money well spent.
    It's also just down to population. I'm guessing sometime in the future China will be topping the medal lists, as they seem to be developing their economy at quite the pace. But right now, just looking at countries with a decent gdp per capita, the US is by far the most populous one.

It's also why my country will never be able to compete in anything but medals/population. Being from a country of just 300k can be hard sometimes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akylios View Post
    It's also just down to population. I'm guessing sometime in the future China will be topping the medal lists, as they seem to be developing their economy at quite the pace. But right now, just looking at countries with a decent gdp per capita, the US is by far the most populous one.

It's also why my country will never be able to compete in anything but medals/population. Being from a country of just 300k can be hard sometimes.
    medals/population sounds pretty cool anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Akylios View Post

It's not just a matter of population or resources. In the US, sports pervades practically every aspect of our culture, whether you're talking about kids playing baseball at the park, fantasy geeks gathering for a draft party, or high powered execs trying to figure out how to sell Gatorade and Nikes to people who don't need them. Not everyone has the potential to be a top athlete, but our society makes damn well sure that nobody who has the ability ever chooses to do something else instead. In China, athletics is sort of the preserve of a tiny minority who are selected to train at state academies based on some pretty arbitrary criteria, the greater bulk of the population couldn't care less about it unless nationalistic dick waving opportunities present themselves.

I am not following swimming closely, but i want to watch for the drama.

What happened to the 19 years old hot stuff / shit talking american girl? I read a few days back she and the Russian girl where gonna face off again for grudgematch 2.0
    What event final is that gonna be?

All Blacks not even going to make the medal rounds in Sevens. My mind is officially fucking blown.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Velodrome events start today, Britain have already set an Olympic record in the men's team sprint, and a world record in the women's team pursuit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    Velodrome events start today, Britain have already set an Olympic record in the men's team sprint, and a world record in the women's team pursuit.
    BORING! Women gymnastic all around finals is where's at.

- - - Updated - - -

What a champion Simone Biles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Track cycling just started, time for a British medal procession.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fiji killing GBR in rugby. Kill them dead!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Fiji killing GBR in rugby. Kill them dead!
    Noooooo wish I could watch

10+ Year Old Account
    And still got 2nd in the 100 fly semifinal 40 min after winning the 200 IM. Greatest Olympic swimmer ever

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    And still got 2nd in the 100 fly semifinal 40 min after winning the 200 IM. Greatest Olympic swimmer ever
    Well yes. Last night his Gold tied him with some guy Leonidas who did back the late 100's BC. Also Katie Ledecky winning the 800m freestyle preliminary by 7 seconds.....
    Last edited by Tierbook; 2016-08-12 at 03:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.