Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is the Alliance a monarchy? Why does Anduin automatically become "High King"?

DISCLAIMER: I am primarily an Alliance player and this bugs me.

I don't know if this has been posted before but it kind of bugs me that Anduin automatically becomes "High King" of the Alliance. He is the prince of the humans of Stormwind, but not the prince of everyone else. I feel like Varian's appointment as leader of the Alliance was warranted by his experience and prowess as a strategist and skilled warrior. Anduin barely has any experience leading, and that is paltry when compared to the likes of Velen and Tryande who have had thousands of years of experience, and wisdom, and, well a lot of things that Anduin doesn't have. He shouldn't be the leader of the Alliance. I see people complaining about Slyvanas' appointment by Vol'Jin as the new leader of the Horde and to me that makes more sense than Anduin becoming the leader of the Alliance just because he was the son of Varian. The Alliance is, well, an alliance, not a monarchy. There shouldn't have been some dynastic transfer of power.

/endrant

He's the only white male.

Velen: Alien
    Tyrande: A chick
    Jaina: A chick
    Muradin: Circus folk
    Mekkatorgue: Circus folk
    Genn: Dog
    Anduin: Privileged white boy
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    its mainly because Orcs vs. Humans, but...

Lorewise Humans have a good majority within the Alliance military, even as the last bastion of Humanity, Stormwind can supply numerous fronts for other members of the Alliance to reinforce with their own resources. Its the flexibility of the human fleets that make them the most valuable to the Alliance, as a result, they have the most influence in the politics of invested parties.

If Stormwind wants to do something, its in the best interest of the other races to aid them, because if Stormwind fails in its objective, it becomes significantly weaker, and makes them less capable when the other races need humans to get things done.

EDIT: I think it also goes without saying, but just in case: Its doubtful that Stormwind Citizens would agree to be led by anyone but another Human being, conveniently being Anduin.

I doubt even Genn would get much support if Anduin didnt exist in the picture, he is a monarch of a former Alliance Nation sure, but hes also a Worgen, which muddles his relationship with his Stormwind counterparts.
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2016-08-12 at 03:51 PM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    The Alliance is not a monarchy. Stormwind is.

Like a like of human-centric fiction (Star Wars, Star Trek, WoW), humans are the bulk of everything and tend to be in charge.

I'm not sure why the Horde pulls it's leaders from all of the races, but the Alliance goes with a succession to the throne; but it's an evolving story, and I'm still hoping Greymane will eat Anduin and assume control. (in wolf form, because eating him in human form would be weird)

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post

Lorewise Humans have a good majority within the Alliance military, even as the last bastion of Humanity, Stormwind can supply numerous fronts for other members of the Alliance to reinforce with their own resources. Its the flexibility of the human fleets that make them the most valuable to the Alliance, as a result, they have the most influence in the politics of invested parties.

If Stormwind wants to do something, its in the best interest of the other races to aid them, because if Stormwind fails in its objective, it becomes significantly weaker, and makes them less capable when the other races need humans to get things done.

EDIT: I think it also goes without saying, but just in case: Its doubtful that Stormwind Citizens would agree to be led by anyone but another Human being, conveniently being Anduin.

I doubt even Genn would get much support if Anduin didnt exist in the picture, he is a monarch of a former Alliance Nation sure, but hes also a Worgen, which muddles his relationship with his Stormwind counterparts.
    Yea that about makes sense. The race with the higher army count would seem fit of leading the alliance primarily. Sure, Velen and Tyrande are more experienced and do not get me wrong OP, I agree with what you are saying. If the humans did take a major blow though and became weakened. The entirety of the alliance would be at stake. If the Draenie or the night elves took a hit. It would effect the alliance, but not to a degree of becoming overwhelmed.

I kinda feel that way with sylvanas right now. A lot of people wonder why she was deemed warchief. Well, she is a insane strategist in battle with guiding troops. Also though, there was a thread awhile back about the horde and what race has the largest army. It may not be so in game. In lore theory though. The undead ranks are probably the most lethal and abundant army the horde has to offer. If the undead got wiped out the horde would face a serious loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stormwind is a monarchy. The other races that make up the Alliance are theoretically free to go their own way or to lobby to have someone else as the Alliance version of their "warchief" if they so wish. Velen would probably accept that Anduin is the leader of the Alliance; he would be less likely to think that Anduin is the king of the Draenei. Anduin is King of Stormwind/humans; he is not king of anything else.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I could be wrong here, but isn't Anduin just the king of Stormwind right now? I don't recall anything saying that he was the High King of the Alliance like his father. I'm fairly certain Blizzard will make him the high king, but right now it seemed more like a leadership council.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Your replies are the equivalent of a dog that farts then looks at the people in the room like they did something wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroofeelya View Post
    Yea that about makes sense. The race with the higher army count would seem fit of leading the alliance primarily. Sure, Velen and Tyrande are more experienced and do not get me wrong OP, I agree with what you are saying. If the humans did take a major blow though and became weakened. The entirety of the alliance would be at stake. If the Draenie or the night elves took a hit. It would effect the alliance, but not to a degree of becoming overwhelmed.

I kinda feel that way with sylvanas right now. A lot of people wonder why she was deemed warchief. Well, she is a insane strategist in battle with guiding troops. Also though, there was a thread awhile back about the horde and what race has the largest army. It may not be so in game. In lore theory though. The undead ranks are probably the most lethal and abundant army the horde has to offer. If the undead got wiped out the horde would face a serious loss.
    Going by what Vol'jin said, the Loa told him that she should be Warchief and that the others wouldn't understand it. Hell, I'm sure even Sylvanas herself is no doubt clueless as to why she was appointed the position beyond Vol'jin saying so.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by theJademist View Post
    DISCLAIMER: I am primarily an Alliance player and this bugs me.

I don't know if this has been posted before but it kind of bugs me that Anduin automatically becomes "High King" of the Alliance. He is the prince of the humans of Stormwind, but not the prince of everyone else.
    I did not know he was made leader of the Alliance. But to answer your question, the most important element of being an alliance leader is being able to hold the alliance together. Which means putting the interest of everyone on the same level. Diplomacy plays an important role. Maybe the other leader have had sufficient experience to trust having a human in that role, thus Anduin being the automatic choice.

Deleted
    I went away with Jaina. Let's see what will happen :P

Jaina for High Queen. Make the alliance great again!

10+ Year Old Account
    arent all kings part of a monarchy ? so their children are too right ? thats what monarchys are

Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    I did not know he was made leader of the Alliance. But to answer your question, the most important element of being an alliance leader is being able to hold the alliance together. Which means putting the interest of everyone on the same level. Diplomacy plays an important role. Maybe the other leader have had sufficient experience to trust having a human in that role, thus Anduin being the automatic choice.
    A more obvious choice for leadership of the Alliance would be Jaina Proudmoore, especially now that she's not shackled to the interests of the Kirin Tor. She's actually led troops into battle, knows all the players diplomatically, and needs a job right about now. She's 100% anti-horde right now, so that would be usefull to prop up the horde/alliance conflict fiction.

She's fought the Legion before. She defeated Archimonde. She's a badass.

But no, someone (coughKosakcough) decided for feels to put an untested, uninteresting, uninspiring character on the throne and in charge of the Alliance, at a time when they most need strength and leadership. Makes no sense, and it makes Varion's death pointless, if it's only to showcase Anduin more as a character, because they're either going to have to dismantle his character and make him Varion 2.0 to get any traction with players, or kill him off, too.

And, with Varion gone, his intent to kick Sylvanas out of Gilneas is gone, never to be mentioned again. Conveniently. That's probably how they're dealing with the story corner they wrote themselves into there - just act like it never happened, now.

The only way this all could be interesting is if they have some big plot point based on Anduin fucking up. But I'm less than convinced they have the talent to pull something like that off now, and that doesn't fit Kosak's ham fisted "for the feels!" style of cliche creation. (He doesn't write story, as much as leap from cliche to crutch to cliche).

They've made a real mess of all of the lore characters. Will be watching to see how they try to undo it. Now would be the time to introduce new big characters, but after what they did to Yrel...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I'm not sure why the Horde pulls it's leaders from all of the races, but the Alliance goes with a succession to the throne; but it's an evolving story, and I'm still hoping Greymane will eat Anduin and assume control. (in wolf form, because eating him in human form would be weird)
    Conspiracy theory time: Greymane was working with Sylvanas during the Broken Shore event, coordinating the horde retreat (watch the cut scene again and you can easily see where this could have happened off camera), in the hopes of at least one faction leader being killed.

Fast forward the story bit, and we see the plot between Greymane and Sylvanas get exposed by Jaina. Anduin becomes enraged at this, and exiles all Worgen from the Alliance. Sylvanas takes them in, exchanging protection for their allegiance. Lothremar, hearing about this, decides that the horde can no longer be trusted, and encourages blood elves to move over to the alliance.

Anduin + Tess, Anduin as King of Stormwind, Tess Quenn of Gilneas, High King Anduin
    and of course baby Bolvar Wrynn
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post

Fair enough, let's say, for the example, that a human leader is needed, even if I disagree. What about Jaina Proudmoore? She is a full human. She has experience leading (I mean, despite Garrosh mana-bombing Theramore, Jaina built it from scratch with a ragtag crew coming in on damaged boats). She has more experience fighting, including the Horde and the Burning Legion as she fought the Legion and the Scourge in Hyjal and Lordaeron and went to Northrend as well. She's a good strategist, in the end, without her teleporting, all troops in Hyjal would have died, she did push in the mogu island ok, and even in Theramore's attack, she managed to gather allies even from fully neutral nations.

In the meantime Anduin... has not fought more than some random beasts. Has no military experience whatsoever and 0 experience leading. Few allies and weak ones. And dubious allies, like Wrathion who changes his view one moment to another and even knocked out Anduin in War Crimes.
    What else... Anduin is young, has no mate, no heir. While Jaina has no heir either, she does have a mate at least. Anduin never ruled anything, let alone a nation.

And let's go further. Who is the most numerous race within the Horde? Well, since orc numbers dropped, maybe the forsaken. But it's one of the two, orcs or forsaken. Yet both agreed to be ruled by a troll. Both followed his rule to the letter. Even if the trolls are one of the smallest races number-wise from the Horde lore-wise. They're just a tribe.

All that said, why does there even need to be a High King/Queen? The Alliance is just that, an Alliance, a NATO. Have a supreme commander, sure. In the end the troops need to work together. But no more!
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2016-08-12 at 07:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stormwind is the monarchy, Alliance itself is not.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Stormwind is a monarchy. The other races that make up the Alliance are theoretically free to go their own way or to lobby to have someone else as the Alliance version of their "warchief" if they so wish. Velen would probably accept that Anduin is the leader of the Alliance; he would be less likely to think that Anduin is the king of the Draenei. Anduin is King of Stormwind/humans; he is not king of anything else.
    This. Right now, in all honesty Genn seems to be the de facto High King (keep in mind the High King Anduin we see at the end of the comic starring him is set many years in the future, with Anduin old and grizzled, visibly scarred from decades of war) given that he's the main driving force behind the Alliance storyline in Legion, which alongside the Horde storyline forms a secondary plot versus the Class Orders doing all the heavy lifting in the Broken Isles proper.

That being said, pretty much all the Alliance leaders like Anduin (because unlike Varian, Anduin has never had an aggressive second personality constantly screwing up his attempts at diplomacy until he got a magical cure for that), and he's certainly one of the most level heads among Alliance leadership, especially with many of them outraged that (from their point of view) the Horde deuced out and ditched the Alliance at the worst possible moment, since they're unaware that the Horde was essentially fighting a three-front battle on that ledge. It's not much of a stretch that the Alliance would rally behind him once things have had time to settle down, or even in the event Genn oversteps his boundaries and Anduin has to intervene to prevent the Alliance from pulling a Garrosh.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kinneer View Post
    But Anduin has never put the interests of the Alliance first. When Tyrande, Jaina wanted Garrosh dead, he visited him and even saved his life. When humans were trying to save him from Pandaria, he was trying to escape them to make new panda-friends while they gave their lives to find him. He helped Baine retake his town only for Baine to come against him and the Alliance and together with the rest of the Horde, wipe out Theramore.
    Anduin is a retard, and the only way the other leaders would support him in a believable setting is if they also believed that and wanted to take advantage of it to rule from the shadows. But I doubt the storytelling is this good for the Alliance.