Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I don't know what other movie's marketing usually cost, but i heard this one had 120 million or so and i personally think the marketing was terrible or nothing special at best. The movie itself was good enough i think. Not perfect, but by no means it was a worse fantasy movie than The Huntsman: Winter's War, which got more revenue from the US than this.

I'm hearing that the DVD pre-orders on Amazon are #2 among this year's movies while 'Murica is #3. I think this is a movie what many people not expecting much from but they will probably dowload it at home for free and while doing so they may change their mind until a sequel comes, if it does.

Unfortunately a movie with this kind of tech is pretty expensive it has to be really awesome to be on pair with the current superhero and animated Disney or Pixar movies. BUT, this movie is actually #1 if we don't see the former categories (edit: okay there is that Jungle book, so #2). I think a sequel will come, but i'm only like 60% sure, it's pretty hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Because it has absurd story, badly directed, badly acted by bored no name actors. All the budget was spent on CGI/mocap, most of which was edited out, the rest of the costumes and props is cheap as hell. That is a bad joke, not the movie we've been waiting for.
    It does not "brings in 430 million", only 40% or 50% of that sum is received in Worldwide/USA markets, and about 30% in China. Other movies have much better box office in the markets that matters. Hell, Prometeus made twice as much money as Warcraft!
    It was the movie that I, personally, was waiting for (maybe not completely story-wise, but animation and visuals). In movies like this you do not need to be an oscar winning actor to make the movie good. Like Marvel movies have amazing actors... they are from the same class of actors (without a few exceptions).

Quote Originally Posted by 6ev4enko View Post
    In movies like this you do not need to be an oscar winning actor to make the movie good. Like Marvel movies have amazing actors...
    In superhero movies you have a vivid visuals and action that takes the attention from the B-rate actors. Warcraft's visuals, on the other hand, are bland and boring, and the actor "play" is painfully visible. And no, Canadian TV actors are not what you want to see in a $165M blockbuster.

In superhero movies you have a vivid visuals and action that takes the attention from the B-rate actors. Warcraft's visuals, on the other hand, are bland and boring, and the actor "play" is painfully visible. And no, Canadian TV actors are not what you want to see in a $165M blockbuster.
    Please, tell me a "bland and boring visual" in Warcraft and compare it to one in a superhero movie. Because I dont understand what "bland and boring visual" means.

Please, tell me a "bland and boring visual" in Warcraft and compare it to one in a superhero movie. Because I dont understand what "bland and boring visual" means.
    It means he only watched a camrip so didn't exactly see anything of quality.

Didn't we have this exact thread a month ago when that article actually came out?

I can't say the movie doesn't deserve it, if anything I still think it made way more money then it deserves. There was so much wrong in this movie that I had to turn up my fanboy volume to 11, and then I ended up giving it a 6. But if I was completely new to the movie I would've been even more critical to the story, dialogue, acting etc that make a movie good. As a Warcraft fan it was still enjoyable for a single watch.

This isn't the movie that the fans deserved. Its not like the story of WC1 was even that good in the first place, so I can't fully blame Duncan for having such material to work with. They should've just started with the Arthas movie, which has a lot more potential to have done better and therefor getting more sequels. Now the first movie did below average and we still have no idea if we get a sequel or not, but for them being this silent makes me think that we won't be getting one.

Deleted
    I just have the most faintest hope that it wont be all about the money and they will make a triology just because warcraft deserves it. But alas... money...

One thing people dont consider is the huge hype effect it gave to Wow in people starting to play again, that gotta count for something right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I can't say the movie doesn't deserve it, if anything I still think it made way more money then it deserves. There was so much wrong in this movie that I had to turn up my fanboy volume to 11, and then I ended up giving it a 6. But if I was completely new to the movie I would've been even more critical to the story, dialogue, acting etc that make a movie good. As a Warcraft fan it was still enjoyable for a single watch.

This isn't the movie that the fans deserved. Its not like the story of WC1 was even that good in the first place, so I can't fully blame Duncan for having such material to work with. They should've just started with the Arthas movie, which has a lot more potential to have done better and therefor getting more sequels. Now the first movie did below average and we still have no idea if we get a sequel or not, but for them being this silent makes me think that we won't be getting one.
    Yeah if they get to WC3 and WC3:FT with the movies and do them properly. Holy moly, if that does not bring the nerds out of the caves nothing will. Except pokemon Go...

Inb4 Pokemon Go movies

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post

Dude you cant just start from the fucking middle, that is just plain stupid. I do agree that some moments in the movie are weak, but I really dont know what you guys expected. It is a MOVIE, you cannot put the whole story into it, it will get too complex. Hell, even series like Game of Thrones leaves so much stuff behind from the books, because it is too complex and quite honestly, just dull to be made for a movie.

I do agree, though, that if there are sequels and hopefully they are successful and not totally bashed by paid critics, the movies will get better and better because the story is so much fucking better.

Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    This is all a bit premature. The first Resident evil film only made 40million in the USA and another 60million worldwide, but they had 5 or 6 sequels. This is because DVD and Bluray sales were very good and made those films very profitable. Many players will buy the DVD/Bluray so all is not lost just yet. Moral of the story is, GO OUT AND BUY THE BLURAY when it comes out in Oct
    I could see that happening to a degree. As someone else said, there is just too much stigma for warcraft and WoW. I would definitely be interested in the disc version but you won't catch me dead going to the cinema for it .

Please, tell me a "bland and boring visual" in Warcraft
    Men in armor with swords. Big musclebound men with tusks, half-naked and decorated by junk, coming in 2 colors. As for actual fantasy creatures, you have a gryphon, which looks only marginally better than Buckbeak from HP:PoA (2004!). Claustrophobic sets with flat backgrounds. There is nothing bright, unusual, what really attracts your vision.

Men in armor with swords. Big musclebound men with tusks, half-naked and decorated by junk, coming in 2 colors. As for actual fantasy creatures, you have a gryphon, which looks only marginally better than Buckbeak from HP:PoA (2004!). Claustrophobic sets with flat backgrounds. There is nothing bright, unusual, what really attracts your vision.
    This actually confirms that you have no idea what you're talking about. Apparently you did not realise that they basically wanted the characters and creatures look exactly how they look in the game. If I go by your logic, everyone in armor from LOTR and hobbit movies look like shit and boring, also the orcs look ridiculous. But, oh wait, it is LOTR so it has to be good and everything has to be compared to it, no matter that what you're comparing is from a totally DIFFERENT FANTASY.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    430 millions
    From 221 of Chinese millions, Chinese partners will get the full sum, about 50%. USA partners will get only 25% of that.
    Prometheus made 97% of budget at home (3 times more than Warcraft) and 212% overseas (2 times more).

15+ Year Old Account
    The movie came out way too late. World of Warcraft is long past its prime. It should have been made somewhere in the last decade. The chosen story was also wrong. Far less people know hardly any of the characters in the movie. The orcs are way too large, out of proportion really. The special effects looked kinda lame. The acting wasn't all that great. It was just meh. Not bad, but certainly not good either.

But, here they are making a movie about a fictional world that houses one of the greatest villains of all time, and you don't make the movie about him. There's plenty of story involving Arthas to make an epic trilogy. He starts as Arthas and throughout the trilogy he transforms into the Lich King. All of the great characters that many people will know will be featured. In my mind, this would have been a far greater choice. Hell, I get excited about this just thinking about it.
    Statix will suffice.

Deleted
    Gonna buy it on blu ray maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    The movie came out way too late. World of Warcraft is long past its prime. It should have been made somewhere in the last decade. The chosen story was also wrong. Far less people know hardly any of the characters in the movie. The orcs are way too large, out of proportion really. The special effects looked kinda lame. The acting wasn't all that great. It was just meh. Not bad, but certainly not good either.

But, here they are making a movie about a fictional world that houses one of the greatest villains of all time, and you don't make the movie about him. There's plenty of story involving Arthas to make an epic trilogy. He starts as Arthas and throughout the trilogy he transforms into the Lich King. All of the great characters that many people will know will be featured. In my mind, this would have been a far greater choice. Hell, I get excited about this just thinking about it.
    Well, with the hard-on most of the upper echelons of blizzards have for orcs it was obvious that they would go for the most unrelateble story for the mass audience.

Also I'm not sure their chances would have been better if they made it earlier. The whole nerd thing only became main stream after all the super hero movies and during the heyday of WoW the effect still wasn't there. Maybe the Hobbit stuff also exhausted the crave of people for fantasy stories. I further think a lot of the previous WoW players might also not have such great fondness for the franchise anymore, especially after the last couple of stunts blizzard pulled. Plenty of reasons.. .
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2016-08-13 at 06:24 AM.

Dude you cant just start from the fucking middle, that is just plain stupid.
    Star Wars did it, and as far as I know its considered either the best or most popular movie serie there is. I'm not familiar with this decision, but they started out with their best stuff which warrented enough sequels to keep a thriving franchise going. The First War is not one of Warcrafts better stuff at all, if anything its rather dull in todays age where humans vs orcs is seen as terribly cliché. Even Warcraft fans should've been fatiqued by orcs after raiding SoO for 14 months and then spend 2 years in WoD, fighting almost nothing but orcs. Maybe this movie would've worked better if they released it atleast 8 years earlier, it was a better time for the game and atleast the orcs didn't feel played out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Most people outside of the US thought it was pretty decent to good.

Not sure what blizzard did to antagonize the fans in the country they reside. Maybe they should close down shop in the US and focus more on their EU branches.

Blizzcon in Berlin = i'm there.
    I'm sure devs disrespecting fans on social media and game stagnation was part of it.

Deleted
    Hope they make another Warcraft movie, but by the looks of it, shouldn't there be info out already on imdb if they're about to make another one or I'm I totally wrong?

It is still a month before DVD selling starts; it is still not clear how much are the movie losses.