Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Yep, I just read the PTS changes. That's horrible.
    Trion does this though. I don't know how it is now but full point souls were the way to go, no like half/half was redundant.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

: (

That bums me out, I enjoy using it to run old experts/normals since they're so easy to heal and you can pump out decent damage with various Defiler builds. It was always a strange soul though, never quite felt like they had a clear direction with it. It was a semi-support build, then it was pushed more towards healer, and then damage a bit, and then sitting in a kinda weird halfway point between healing and damage.

Apparently the revamp (who could call it a revamp when it's so generic) was because the damage reduction from links were too strong. So hey just get rid of all the healing altogether

Nobody will use it though. It'll end up like druid. That soul got revamped into a dps soul too instead of a solo thing and nobody uses it cause shaman is significantly better. So it's worse off then it was before

- - - Updated - - -

Ya I started to remember why I quit. P2w, Trion making everything generic, killed build diversity killed soul uniqueness. Ya unless things change in this content psych (oops I mean "expansion") there's no reason to come back

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Nobody will use it though. It'll end up like druid. That soul got revamped into a dps soul too instead of a solo thing and nobody uses it cause shaman is significantly better. So it's worse off then it was before.
    The same is true of most other souls too, if its not the top DPS it doesn't generally get used outside of specific niches. They could really do with either scapping some ideas completely, or combining them into other souls. I mean, would anyone really even notice if they combined Necromancer and Warlock into a single DoT soul with a pet? I probably wouldn't.

Rather than adding more souls for SFP, I think they should be seriously looking at taking some away. With any souls that are in the same niche are in direct competition with each other, unless the difference between them is so small its insignificant, people are just going to use whichever one is better and ignore the other. If they both serve the same purpose, is there even a need to have both of them in the first place? If Trion keep adding 2 new souls per class per expansion we're going to run out of ways to differentiate them pretty soon. There comes a point when all the major niches have been filled already and adding more souls to fill them is just pointless.

Lets face it, its going to be pretty stupid when every calling has 4 Tanking souls, 8 Healing souls and 16 DPS souls to choose from. Especially when only 5-6 of those are probably ever going to see any use at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Eh no? I might not play WoW ever again but even i can see just from reading this site that the biggest complaint is the gap between content, 14 months from WoD to Legion and wasn't it a similar 14-15 months between MoP and WoD?
    A gap between content (which I'll agree is often too long at the end of the expansions) is not the same as you saying they release all their content at in the first few weeks and then nothing, as if Rift is somehow special in that case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Oh wow. Queuing for specific warfronts is now patron only alongside dungeons. Pathetic.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    The same is true of most other souls too, if its not the top DPS it doesn't generally get used outside of specific niches. They could really do with either scapping some ideas completely, or combining them into other souls. I mean, would anyone really even notice if they combined Necromancer and Warlock into a single DoT soul with a pet? I probably wouldn't.

Rather than adding more souls for SFP, I think they should be seriously looking at taking some away. With any souls that are in the same niche are in direct competition with each other, unless the difference between them is so small its insignificant, people are just going to use whichever one is better and ignore the other. If they both serve the same purpose, is there even a need to have both of them in the first place? If Trion keep adding 2 new souls per class per expansion we're going to run out of ways to differentiate them pretty soon. There comes a point when all the major niches have been filled already and adding more souls to fill them is just pointless.

Lets face it, its going to be pretty stupid when every calling has 4 Tanking souls, 8 Healing souls and 16 DPS souls to choose from. Especially when only 5-6 of those are probably ever going to see any use at all.
    I understand where you're coming from, but that's mostly because MMO companies do not hire mathematically-inclined individuals to balance classes. They seem incapable of that.

I've offered plenty of recommendations on PTS throughout my time playing Rift, and very rarely did they take them. These suggestions would have balanced specs within 1% of each other (within the same niche, of course).

Instead Trion and Blizzard both seem to enjoy overbuffing a few classes at once, and then eventually catch others up.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post

With that, you have just described pretty much every mmo ever. WoW even more so!

10+ Year Old Account
    EDIT: Temporary Issue - they confirmed it would be resolved - I tweeted @TrionWorlds and got a response.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2016-08-12 at 01:23 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    EDIT: Temporary Issue - they confirmed it would be resolved - I tweeted @TrionWorlds and got a response.

Poor trio. not gonna have any idea why you tagged him lol.

Gotta be careful with the @ anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Oh wow. Queuing for specific warfronts is now patron only alongside dungeons. Pathetic.
    Was going to buy Starfall Prophecy today...
    Nevermind
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trion released a small write up on one of the Life zones coming in Starfall Prophecy, Scatherran Forest and the new quest hub town Alittu.

http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/2...herran-forest/

It seems the Live Stream tonight will also focus on this zone and will have the Devs taking us on a tour of said zone, all at 10.30pm GMT

https://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, but that's mostly because MMO companies do not hire mathematically-inclined individuals to balance classes. They seem incapable of that.

I've offered plenty of recommendations on PTS throughout my time playing Rift, and very rarely did they take them. These suggestions would have balanced specs within 1% of each other (within the same niche, of course).
    The difficulty with having things balanced so finely is that very small disruptions can push things over the edge. Like a weapon proc for example, if you've got one thats far better for one soul than another, that soul is going to pull ahead of the competition. How do you go about fixing that if you're a Dev? Buffing the other souls would mess up the careful balance you've created. Nerfing the one thats overperforming would, again, ruin your careful balance. Nerfing the proc would mean its now worse for everyone, not just the strong soul. You're setting yourself up to be the victim of unintended consequences no matter what you do .

Its the kind of balance that needs constant work to maintain, and I don't believe Trion are at all up to the task. Thats why I worry about any future souls, Trion are running out of small niches that need filling so any newer ones are going to be either so unique they're mandatory, like the Defiler, or so generic they fit in the exact same niche as another soul and only one of them will see play.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    With that, you have just described pretty much every mmo ever. WoW even more so!
    I think WoW used to suffer, perhaps, less from it when I was playing than other MMO's. Particularly for classes like Shamans or Druids, where you had trees each filling a different role entirely. Obviously it got a bit muddy for classes with only DPS trees, but they at least tended to either have their own niche within their class or else provide a valuable (de)buff for raids. I can't say if this has changed or not since I quit playing, so it may be very wrong at this point.

Came into this expecting screenshots and got 7 pages of constant bitching. Thanks for posting what you could Slipmat. I still play very casually and this looks pretty good.

Yea... not picking this up anytime soon unless some things change. For one, revert the "revamps" of unique souls back to being unique (they became generic. R.I.P druid and defiler) and the prices for some things need to be reduced if it's going back to B2P. Restrictions need to be lifted.

The game is an expensive hot mess

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Came into this expecting screenshots and got 7 pages of constant bitching. Thanks for posting what you could Slipmat. I still play very casually and this looks pretty good.
    TO be fair, I tried defending RIFT, but not being able to que for specific warfronts and dungeons without subbing is ridiculous
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

So having valid criticisms about shitty business decisions such as gating stupid crap behind patron, before changing it making a gear slot gated behind an obnoxious grind and paywall and utter gutting of certain classes is "bitching"? Okay then
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-08-12 at 05:49 PM.

So having valid criticisms about shitty business decisions such as gating stupid crap behind patron, before changing it making a gear slot an obnoxious grind and paywall is bitching and utter gutting of certain classes? Okay then
    Trion needs to be more clear obviously with the direction of their business model. In that other thread that got shut down I did link a video where they addressed there apparent move to the GW B2P model. F2P does not seem to be working out given the level of content this player base expects.

They are trying some strange F2P, B2P, P2P thing now and it is obviously not working. I am not giving them a pass by any means but I am also not acting like they just back handed my kid.

Trion needs to be more clear obviously with the direction of their business model. In that other thread that got shut down I did link a video where they addressed there apparent move to the GW B2P model. F2P does not seem to be working out given the level of content this player base expects.

They are trying some strange F2P, B2P, P2P thing now and it is obviously not working.
    Your thread was shut down as it harassed someone but lets not go there. But if the expansion is B2P with everything there fair enough. If it is B2P with stupid shit gated behind patron/money then no it's shitty. Gw2 has boosters but the store is mostly cosmetics and Lion chest keys which are for unlocking cosmetics and the makeover kits if you are amazingly lucky. They really need to remove shit like specific queuing for both dungeons and warfronts being patron only because that is just silly beyond all reasoning. Swtor is going down just as bad a road as well with its sub perks. F2P partly didn't work due to the store becoming just ridiculous with the earring and planewalker debacle.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-08-12 at 05:55 PM.

Your thread was shut down as it harassed some but lets not go there. But if the expansion is B2P with everything there fair enough. If it is B2P with stupid shit gated behind patron/money then no it's shitty.
    Given this overall forums continued lean towards World of Warcraft content people attacking other MMO's is allowed. There is a difference between constructive criticism and bitching for the sake of bitching like Wonky has been doing. He was banned for a good reason from the official forums.

I saw his type ride Aions nuts for 2+ years after they quit just for the sake of trying to make sure everyone else hated the game. Wonky has appointed himself the official Criticizer In-chief of Rift and his mission in life is to tell me why I should never give Trion any money ever.