Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    I dont want you to get anything. You stated your budget and applications, I made out the best for your situation.
    Nah. You recommended IPS due to "better image quality" which doesn't make any sense. IPS has better off-axis performance, in terms of image quality VA is simply better than it because it has 3~5x darker blacks and contrast is the aspect of a picture that is more obvious and contributes the most to overall PQ. Panel types are essentially the same when it comes to colour reproduction, all three major types can easily reach 100% sRGB which is the target. If you want wider color gamuts with LCD then you have to switch the backlight, not the panel type. Or add quantum dots.

IPS isn't terrible when you're using it during the day with lights on or the sun hitting it, in fact for office work or color correction I'd only recommend IPS due to better uniformity and the absence of color shifts, but @Sheeya clearly stated that he'd use the monitor for media consumption and in this scenario we can safely assume that some of the media consumption is going to be done during the night with lights off. And with lights off both TN and IPS are total crap.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-08-13 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Nah. You recommended IPS due to "better image quality" which doesn't make any sense. IPS has better off-axis performance, in terms of image quality VA is simply better than it because it has 3~5x darker blacks and contrast is the aspect of a picture that is more obvious and contributes the most to overall PQ. Panel types are essentially the same when it comes to colour reproduction, all three major types can easily reach 100% sRGB which is the target. If you want wider color gamuts with LCD then you have to switch the backlight, not the panel type. Or add quantum dots.

IPS isn't terrible when you're using it during the day with lights on or the sun hitting it, in fact for office work or color correction I'd only recommend IPS due to better uniformity and the absence of color shifts, but @Sheeya clearly stated that he'd use the monitor for media consumption and in this scenario we can safely assume that some of the media consumption is going to be done during the night with lights off. And with lights off both TN and IPS are total crap.
    While the difference in color reproduction isnt as big as it was 5 years ago, it's still VERY noticable. VA panels are great for office/media but they are worthless for gaming (where all of its advantages dont matter at all). In my experience having deeper blacks is personal preference, most people dont care about it.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    While the difference in color reproduction isnt as big as it was 5 years ago, it's still VERY noticable.
    Very noticeable hmm?

This is a KS9000 which uses a VA panel:

And this is an LG H8500 which is IPS:

There isn't any tangible difference in color reproduction.

VA panels are great for office/media but they are worthless for gaming (where all of its advantages dont matter at all). In my experience having deeper blacks is personal preference, most people dont care about it.

The difference from Plasma to VA is bigger than from VA to IPS but the video works either way. The contrast ratio difference is obvious in both cases.

Deleted
    So I should get a VA screen?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheeya View Post
    You should get whatever monitor fits better within your budget. Sure, panel types matter but the good VA monitors are all quite expensive and you don't have that much variety. IPS is not terrible either for media consumption as long as you have some kind of light in the room.

I mean, I don't really know a lot of monitor models from the top of my head, @Remilia would be much better to give you options within your budget. But since you have media consumption as one of your main use cases I'd also strongly suggest you to go with at least a 27" monitor.

I'd probably buy this:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2717d.htm

Or this:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/business/d...LS32D85KTSR/ZA
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-08-13 at 07:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That depends entirely on you really and how much you value contrast. Typically media consumption praises contrast but for anime you're not going to notice anything. Remember anime is also created via computer and in turn monitors and no professional uses VA panels due to it's characteristics. I'm personally indifferent to picking either IPS or VA panels. I'm using both in fact right now, an Sharp MVA for FG2421 and a LG IPS for U2414H. Issue with VA monitors are there's a distinct lacking in selection and most good ones start costing way out of your budget. By that I mean there's only BenQ and Samsung that bothers with VA these days. And the issue with BenQ is that there's not a whole lot of good reviews (as in the review itself, not monitor) for their VA monitors so I'm not going to blindly recommend and the low end Samsung sucks.
    There's two panels that are VA and high Hz, the Sharp MVA as mentioned for FG2421 and the AUO AMVA for BenQ X35/Acer Z35. The issue with the latter one is that it's pixel response is actually too slow (slowest I've seen in a while) to support the 144Hz where as FG2421 has a very fast response time for a VA and can support the 120Hz, however that one is discontinued.

Just general suggestion at <3000 SEK
    High Hz panel
    https://www.inet.se/produkt/2340891/benq-24-xl2430t

27" glossy 1920x1080, do note the glossy.
    https://www.inet.se/produkt/2208526/dell-27-s2715h
    It's actually going to provide a better image quality than a anti-glare coated one due to no graininess, but do consider the reflection and where you're using this, it may be a pain in the ass. Pixel per inch however is smaller so it may not be great depending on how close you are sitting to the monitor.
    24" 1920x1200
    https://www.inet.se/produkt/2209806/...trasharp-u2415

Normally for a 27" I'd recommend the BenQ GW2765HT since it's relatively cheap and good performing 2560x1440. 24-25" I generally recommend U2414H or U2515H. 1920x1080/2560x1440 respectively.
    While the difference in color reproduction isnt as big as it was 5 years ago, it's still VERY noticable. VA panels are great for office/media but they are worthless for gaming (where all of its advantages dont matter at all). In my experience having deeper blacks is personal preference, most people dont care about it.
    Color reproduction hasn't been an issue with the introduction of LED backlighting. All panel types can now have native 8bit (no dither) color depth and arguably VAs are better in that terms since there's not a whole lot of 6bit + FRC VA panels while there's a lot of it for IPS types, but that also does mean a lot of good VA monitors tend to be $300+.
    The difference however isn't that, is perceived color uniformity due to off axis color shifts with IPS types being the best and TNs being the worst. IPS tends to be the same with AUO's newest AMVA being the best implementation so far in terms of off color shifts for VAs.

The IPS > all LCD panel types hasn't been a thing for a long time, let it die. It's sad seeing it get regurgitated by a lot of big sites now despite better review sites like tftcentral.co.uk and prad.de note it doesn't matter these days. There are no perfect panel types. *cough* Sony get back on CLED *cough*.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post30354713
    Something that I posted a while ago but still relevant.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-08-13 at 08:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We seriously should make a "Monitor FAQ thread" to leave all the useful information that we always have to type...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    27" glossy 1920x1080, do note the glossy.
    https://www.inet.se/produkt/2208526/dell-27-s2715h
    It's actually going to provide a better image quality than a anti-glare coated one due to no graininess, but do consider the reflection and where you're using this, it may be a pain in the ass. Pixel per inch however is smaller so it may not be great depending on how close you are sitting to the monitor.
    I'm using a pretty old screen, it costed like 1200 SEK 6 years ago or something, I doubt there's any anti-glare coating so even if that would happend at this point it doesn't bother me that much.

I'm usually 70-90cm from the screen, is this an acceptable distance to the screen or should I go with something else?

Thanks for the detailed response btw, I really appreciate you taking the time to not only explain but also finding specific screens from my prefered netshop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm using a pretty old screen, it costed like 1200 SEK 6 years ago or something, I doubt there's any anti-glare coating so even if that would happend at this point it doesn't bother me that much.

I'm usually 70-90cm from the screen, is this an acceptable distance to the screen or should I go with something else?

Thanks for the detailed response btw, I really appreciate you taking the time to not only explain but also finding specific screens from my prefered netshop.
    Personally speaking I'm sitting about 45cm~? something, and a 23.5" 1920x1080 is fine for me. At farther distance it should be fine for a 27" 1920x1080.

Deleted
    Personally speaking I'm sitting about 45cm~? something, and a 23.5" 1920x1080 is fine for me. At farther distance it should be fine for a 27" 1920x1080.
    Hmm, I guess ~50cm is more accurate for when I'm sitting and playing a game, but when it comes to watching anything my bed is right beside me so I usually put me legs there and lean backwards so I guess it varies. Perhaps 27" is a bit too much? Is there a smaller screen with the glossy feature that would basically be same quality just smaller?

If I'm going to reduce size from 27" to 24, 23.5ish then I'd probably want to drop the price instead of getting a 144Hz screen or a higher resolution screen for the same price.

I think my current screen is actually 21.5", going to a 27" screen might mess with my head because of how much bigger it'll be.

What are the benefits of getting higher resolution (1920x1200> 1080), wouldn't that also put more pressure on my hardware while playing games which would lead to lower fps? Or is the difference too low to really matter?

[QUOTE=Thunderball;41861902]1. Yes, you do. 2. I agree, but that doesnt mean 598s are worthless.

1. Again, no. 2. The 598's just don't justify the price. Unless you find a good warehouse deal on Amazon, buuut you can also find a great deal on 558's. I got mine for about $60 because the box allegedly may have had some slight damage. It was in what appeared to be perfect condition.

I had the hd 558s but exchanged them for the hd 598s. Just wasn't satisfied knowing there was a higher tier of this lineup. I'd say it's more of a 10% difference in sound, the 558s are a lot darker in audio and the build quality is inferior. It's just plastic and velour on the headband. The 598 headband is wrapped in pleather with a slight difference in build.

I think <$150 is a solid price for 598s. It usually goes for $100 on black friday on amazon which is what i paid for the 598 se. My beige ones I paid <$200. In this price range the other big competitor are the beyerdynamics dts headphones which I think are also very good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I guess ~50cm is more accurate for when I'm sitting and playing a game, but when it comes to watching anything my bed is right beside me so I usually put me legs there and lean backwards so I guess it varies. Perhaps 27" is a bit too much? Is there a smaller screen with the glossy feature that would basically be same quality just smaller?

If I'm going to reduce size from 27" to 24, 23.5ish then I'd probably want to drop the price instead of getting a 144Hz screen or a higher resolution screen for the same price.

I think my current screen is actually 21.5", going to a 27" screen might mess with my head because of how much bigger it'll be.

What are the benefits of getting higher resolution (1920x1200> 1080), wouldn't that also put more pressure on my hardware while playing games which would lead to lower fps? Or is the difference too low to really matter?
    The smaller version is S2415H, but it's not listed on the site. =\

In terms of resolution, it'd put more pressure on your hardware but for 1920x1080 to 1920x1200 isn't going to be a huge jump, but if and only if you play at the higher resolution. Mostly you get more real estate to worth with and such. The U2415 is not glossy however, it's a normal anti-glare coating.

Deleted
    The smaller version is S2415H, but it's not listed on the site. =\

In terms of resolution, it'd put more pressure on your hardware but for 1920x1080 to 1920x1200 isn't going to be a huge jump, but if and only if you play at the higher resolution. Mostly you get more real estate to worth with and such. The U2415 is not glossy however, it's a normal anti-glare coating.
    Dustin Home this one yea? It's just as good just smaller?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dustin Home this one yea? It's just as good just smaller?
    I really can't say for certain. Not a lot of people bother with the S series from Dell so there's not a whole lot of information. They streamlined their products a while ago so it didn't have vastly different panel type and models between each series like how it did 3-4 years ago. But yes that's the little one.

Like it or not, but glossy screens aren't that liked (even though Apple's monitors are praised, partly cause of glossy :P).
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-08-14 at 06:10 PM.

Deleted
    I really can't say for certain. Not a lot of people bother with the S series from Dell so there's not a whole lot of information. They streamlined their products a while ago so it didn't have vastly different panel type and models between each series like how it did 3-4 years ago. But yes that's the little one.

Like it or not, but glossy screens aren't that liked (even though Apple's monitors are praised, partly cause of glossy :P).
    Well that's odd, if apple's monitors are praised partly because of the glossy feature, why would glossy monitors besides apple be disliked? Is it because unlike me, they sit near a window where light reflects onto the screen? (iirc glossy screens usually don't have anti-glare protection)

If, there's little information about this specific series, how come you know a fair bit about it (it seems atleast)? Have you had personal experience with such a monitor? What monitor are you using currently btw?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's odd, if apple's monitors are praised partly because of the glossy feature, why would glossy monitors besides apple be disliked? Is it because unlike me, they sit near a window where light reflects onto the screen? (iirc glossy screens usually don't have anti-glare protection)

If, there's little information about this specific series, how come you know a fair bit about it (it seems atleast)? Have you had personal experience with such a monitor? What monitor are you using currently btw?
    Yes it's the reflection, more often than not people find it more annoying to use than it is to look at.

Main experience I have with it is in store and personal experience in general with monitors, white point seemed fine (maybe a bit cold) but I'm not exactly allowed to bring in my colorimeter to the store and measure it. Was looking at some cheap models for 'office' usage so to speak.
    Currently I'm using an FG2421 and U2414H.

And I mixed up the 27" and 24", oops. Yeah, I remember only one of the reviews and thought it was the 27" for some reason.
    https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2415h/
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-08-14 at 07:16 PM.

Deleted
    Yes it's the reflection, more often than not people find it more annoying to use than it is to look at.

Main experience I have with it is in store and personal experience in general with monitors, white point seemed fine (maybe a bit cold) but I'm not exactly allowed to bring in my colorimeter to the store and measure it. Was looking at some cheap models for 'office' usage so to speak.
    Currently I'm using an FG2421 and U2414H.

And I mixed up the 27" and 24", oops. Yeah, I remember only one of the reviews and thought it was the 27" for some reason.
    https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-s2415h/
    Alright, sounds good. I'll probably go with the S2415h then. Now I'm just curious what it's worth. On Dustin Home it goes for 1700 SEK which is almost half of what the 27" version costs. I'm just curious if I'm lucky and this is cheap or if it's supposed to cost almost half as much. The reason I'm asking is because the price varies in sweden from 1690SEK up to like 2200-2400 SEK iirc.

Either way I really appreciate everything you've done to help me, I don't have too much money I can spend so I'm always careful, trying to find out as much as possible before I make my purchase. I've probably said this a bit too much now but it really means a lot to me, so thank you!

With that said, I'll probably purchase the screen at the same time as I get the computer which won't be until early september. With everything I've learned I'll probably make a build to ask for opinions, just to be safe. I'll probably ask for your opinion too when the time comes, if you don't mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    No worries, and I don't know how pricing works in Sweden so I can't help you out there =\
    It is relatively cheap since it doesn't have features like USB hub, limited stand adjustment and ports.