Advice regarding a used laptop

So long story short, needed a cheap, decent used laptop for business reasons (mostly to run Coreldraw and stuff for a laser engraver, don't judge it's not like this is my gaming rig) and I found a decently priced one at the local state gov't surplus auction, so I took a plunge and bought it. This is what it would be if it was new: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834157279

Looking over it, almost everything checks out. Right processor, amount of memory (even if an oddly low number is available), a bit scruffed and used on the outside, screen is ok, etc. However, the previous owner or whatever state employee yanked out the 640gb hard drive and swapped it with some crappy 55gb one that must have been in a Dell laptop or something as it references Dell crap on a HP laptop, even the admin account username is Dell. So kinda peeved, but it is what it is, and since auction places are jerks and won't let you return despite the improper description, looks like I'm stuck with it.

So in trying to make the best of this scenario, what are some options for me here? The Windows 7 product key on the sticker must be an OEM one as I tried downloading the iso or whatever from Microsoft's website (BIG disclaimer here, I am not a techie and have limited experience with software stuff like this, so I am likely butchering terms) and it was giving me an error to contact the manufacturer, which I can't obviously, and it didn't come with recover disks and the like. So it doesn't look like I'll be able to wipe and restore it, which I wanted just because who knows what might be on the laptop despite it looking clean. Is there any advice out there regarding how to make sure it's clean without the ability to just wipe it all if I choose to use it as is?

The other option I think I have is... I --- think --- I have a Windows 8 download and product key I can use, my main PC runs Windows 7 and this was back during the push to get people to upgrade to Windows 8; I never did, but I decided to go ahead and download whatever files Microsoft was giving away at the time in case I ever decided to (which I didn't). So I have a product key for it and what I think are the installation files, and unless there was some expiration date on that offer they should be good right? However if this is the case, I don't want some lousy 55gb random/used hard drive. Is it possible to go out and buy a laptop hard drive (nothing too fancy, was thinking just a basic 500gb one), then install this Windows 8 product onto it?

If anyone has some helpful advice, that would be great. Thanks!
    Last edited by xezar; 2016-08-16 at 04:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    First, the 55gb thing sounds... either incorrect, or mislabelled, or something else. I figure it's either

1) Partitioned strangely, you can check this from Start -> RClick Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management
    2) It's a 120gb SSD with OS and another 40gb of who knows what
    3) Its a 64gb SSD
    4) It's literally an old 80gb drive, which was put in there for some odd reason. I doubt this.

The first thing I'd do is see if it's eligible for the Windows 10 Upgrade... The 'free' period is over but it still may have a key licensed to it. If it is, just download and reload that.

As for the sticker, I would just contact MS chat support and verify. That checker tool has always been hit and miss with me.

One of those ought to score you a clean reinstall on what should be a normal drive.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    First, the 55gb thing sounds... either incorrect, or mislabelled, or something else. I figure it's either

1) Partitioned strangely, you can check this from Start -> RClick Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management
    2) It's a 120gb SSD with OS and another 40gb of who knows what
    3) Its a 64gb SSD
    4) It's literally an old 80gb drive, which was put in there for some odd reason. I doubt this.

The first thing I'd do is see if it's eligible for the Windows 10 Upgrade... The 'free' period is over but it still may have a key licensed to it. If it is, just download and reload that.

As for the sticker, I would just contact MS chat support and verify. That checker tool has always been hit and miss with me.

One of those ought to score you a clean reinstall on what should be a normal drive.
    Checked disk management as you suggested and even it's saying only 55.81gb capacity on the C drive with 77mb reserved. No other drives besides the blu ray plaer. So yeah, that's a weird one, and it's definitely not a SSD (too noisy for starters even considering the fan), pretty sure the early models like this one didn't have SSDs as an option either.

As for Windows 10, how would you check for eligibility? To my knowledge, that free upgrade stopped promptly on 7/29. Unless it's possible to lie about using some assistive technology? Heard that apparently let you upgrade for free, but I don't use it so not sure. Otherwise this hard drive on here is weird, it says there has never been any Windows updates ever to it.

Edit: decided to BS about the assistive tech thing and it's offering to download, so rolling with it for now I suppose. Will see how it works out.
    Last edited by xezar; 2016-08-16 at 06:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Win10 upgrade thing was... I don't know. Wonky. I'm still on 7 but my 10 key is 'allocated' already, so I can upgrade for free whenever. Just contact MS support about it.

Disk Management should also say what the disk is. Right click on the drive and go to Properties.. It should say "_______________ ATA Device"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Win10 upgrade thing was... I don't know. Wonky. I'm still on 7 but my 10 key is 'allocated' already, so I can upgrade for free whenever. Just contact MS support about it.

Disk Management should also say what the disk is. Right click on the drive and go to Properties.. It should say "_______________ ATA Device"
    Looks like it's saying it's a Toshiba MK6034GSX. Googled it and yeah, says it's a 60gb hard drive. So weird.

But yeah, went to that Windows 10 assistive technology upgrade page, offered to download so giving it a shot. Worst case scenario it messes up that hard drive, I go with option 2 I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Out of curiousity, how much was the system?

And yeah the 60gb thing is.. strange. I'd definitely replace it, either way.

Out of curiousity, how much was the system?

And yeah the 60gb thing is.. strange. I'd definitely replace it, either way.
    Paid like a hundred or so, maybe a bit more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah for that price I'd say it's worth spending another 20-30 on a cheapie 7200 500gb drive or something

Beginning to think the screen was dislodged at one point, for some reason I can "push" it in a bit, but then it goes back out. It was definitely dropped at one point as the top right corner was dinged, but yeah...oh well, still works I guess.

So if I decide to replace the hard drive, since I'm (hopefully) upgrading the current one to Windows 10 atm, how exactly do I go about like...moving everything to it I guess?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you get the new drive, it's pretty much like this:

On current OS, download windows (Whatever you get) and make sure you have the license key for it. Move the ISO onto a flash drive (You can get an 8gb for like $4 at walmart or whatever) using the DVD to USB Tool from microsoft (rufus works good too but I havent personally used it).

Shut off system, pull out old drive, put in new drive, power on with flash drive attached

Boot from flash drive, install windows, done

Hmm, so I just can't use one of those programs out there that just clones a drive?

Interesting nonetheless, thanks for the advice! Upgrading by claiming that you assistive technology on the one Microsoft page works fine as well, so now doing a proper clean install and hopefully purging everything off this one drive.