Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Not completely related, but today I read two articles about Dr. Michael Burry dumping all his holdings in Apple and suggesting others do too. He has a habit of seeing trends way before others so when he dumps something it is worth listening to.
    This. The dude from the big short.

Whats really funny is watching those old interviews with jobs from the 90s, Where he talks about pepsi and how they never change much and all the practices they did and how he just shits on them for it. And now to see apple doing everything that he shit on pepsi for doing. I see the apple bubble popping very soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Fuck Apple, their shitty products and all their mindless fans. I'm a PC man. Always have been, always will be. Never trust a company that insists on a closed system for all their products because they sure as shit will bend you over a barrel every chance they get. Apple charges twice as much as they should on shitty products for people who don't know how to use computers in the first place. They even try to claim that as an American company they're keeping jobs in the U.S. when the entire production process happens in China.

Yeah, fuck Apple, their faux-hipster culture and all their overpriced shit. Fuck 'em all.
    microsoft is slowly going to a closed ecosystem as well.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

The thing about Apple's products is that they have always seemed overpriced, but now they ARE overpriced for the first time in recent memory.

It's true that the average Apple product skimps on a decent GPU, and is thus fairly unappealing to gamers. It's true that they are expensive. This is a general thing and I can absolutely understand why Macs don't appeal to a lot of people here. It's something I desperately want Apple to fix.

However, Apple products have always featured so many things that just makes them better than their competition, even when their processors are slower. Apple were among the first to put in M.2 SSD's in MacBook Pros and consequently they felt really snappy. They also usually come with great processors.

But the real value is a huge collection of "gimmicks" that all add up to making a plain better computer. The track pad is huge and very precise, and it has force touch now. By far the most advanced and powerful track pad on the market. It runs circles around the PC. The keyboard is nice and precise and well spaced on everything except the MacBook. They were also among the first to put very high resolution displays in their products. And then it combines bluetooth with wifi for things like AirDrop and continuity, which are incredible timesavers. There's nothing like your coworker needing a file so you just beam it over wirelessly. No USB key needed.

When the 5K iMac came out, the cheapest alternative on the PC was literally a display at the same price plus a high end computer on the side. Like $1000 more expensive, and that's not even including software like Windows and Office, of which the Mac comes with free and quite powerful equivalents. How can ANYBODY call that overpriced?

Recently, however, Apple has let the Mac line-up slide. For the last 1½-2 years, almost no Apple laptops or desktops have been upgraded. They're still 2014 hardware with 2012 GPU's. The worst of the lot is the Mac Pro, which is an absolute ****ing joke now. Really bad machine at the price.

So... I'd normally say Apple compared pretty favourably price wise unless you're specifically looking for a fast GPU. Now, however? The Mac is a piece of shit, which is really sad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    They are either people that are not very computer savy, fan boys, or have some other obscure reason (I hear video editing quite often).

I'm willing to bet that it's really the non-tech-savy, like my mother. She loves her macbook air because of the display, the weight, and the "speed". I explained to her that a lot of that comes from the SSD tech that the Air uses, but it's w/e to her. She paid for it, she likes it, big deal.

Unless they change their business practice and product functionality, I actually forsee them going downhill. Crazy right? Apple falling? This prediction is based on how tech literate the future generation will be. Most people in this forum have probably owned an Apple product or more at some point in their lives. Some stick with it (which is fine), and other learn that there are better alternatives.

In short: It's all about educating.
    Aahhh quit the bullshit. Half the university faculty at the insititute for mathematics and about 1/3rd of the faculty at the institute for software technology at the Technical University of Denmark use Macs. The ratio seems to be about the same elsewhere.

There's another very appealing aspect to the Mac: You get UNIX and incredibly powerful object oriented application, and it runs well. It's not like on Linux where it might work fine, but it also very well might not. The Mac is always well tested, so you can get on with your research but do it in an environment that appeals to you as a programmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    . They also usually come with great processors.
    They come with generations old processors.

It's an Apple product. Thats whats wrong

You're paying for the brand... rubbish devices trending idiots go after.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's Apple. 99% brand, 1% substance. Granted it's always been more or less the case that Apple was more expensive however there was a time when Apple products actually did also imply some fairly unique piece of tech. I still remember the working on old Macs (with Motorola 68k CPUs) and the early PowerMacs with their PowerPC-based architecture. It was actually fun to work on a Mac back then. Back in the times when you would refer to yourself as Atari user, as C64 user, as Amiga user or Apple user.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    while i dont agree on the performance comment i do see that apple is more and more limiting their productline towards a specific type of user (u can read not making products for gamers). Apple products usually have a longer life expectancy towards performing with their own hardware specific software. This usually results in better performance on older hardware combined with newer OSX versions.

Having said that the flexibility of the product is limited more and more. A macbook with a dedicated videocard (that isnt even topnotch for gaming) starts at a high price. Their current design philosphopy is clearly tailored towards productivity and battery life.

Clearly not the apple product i used to love. (yes i went back to pc hardware for my (wow) gaming fun))

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Design and usability are hugely important to many consumers. They value such over performance in most cases- about ~86%, in fact. Which is about the percent of value assessment our focus groups place over performance.

Apple devices often appeal to consumers for their usability and style (design).

Disclosure: I conduct market research studies for electronics, mobile devices, prosumer equipment (etc) for a living.
    That's nice. But having switched from windows to mac os at work. All i can say it is a steaming pile of shit. It is slow and nit user friendly. Windows shits all over it in every way.

It's a shiny box full of shit hardware running a shit operating system.

They are a very good marketing company and truly show the power of good marketing.
    Why join the navy when you can be a pirate

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    They come with generations old processors.
    At the moment they do. They didn't use to.

If you'd actually read my post before responding you'd know that.

I suspect your 17,419 posts are simply one-liners like this responding to things you haven't read and don't understand. Might wanna cut down on that a little.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedOne View Post
    That's nice. But having switched from windows to mac os at work. All i can say it is a steaming pile of shit. It is slow and nit user friendly. Windows shits all over it in every way.

It's a shiny box full of shit hardware running a shit operating system.

They are a very good marketing company and truly show the power of good marketing.
    OS X is not user friendly? Dafuq m8. xD If you can't figure out how drag and drop works I guess it must be hard to use. Otherwise it's difficult for me to see how it could get much simpler.

It's only slow if you have an old-school rotating harddrive, but so is Windows. Unfortunately, a current iMac model ships with a 5400 RPM harddrive, which is very bad.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Aren't "overpriced products that offer much lower perfomance and less features overall" pretty much the standard Apple product?

Deleted
    After my android tablets and smartphone who were so bloated with manufacturer-apps which i never used and who would ruin any memory in given time got so slow that they got useless bought my first IPad. A year after that I bought my first IPhone. And I rather did that to illegally root android phones to get them a custom OS.

Best thing I ever did. Hardware is completely irrelevant on those things, cause android has like hundreds of useless apps that reinstall, run and update themselves after every single android update you make.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    I remember opening up my mates macbook to replace faulty ram and seeing the modules soldered onto the mobo so you literally couldn't repair it yourself. That was around the time I realised apple hates it's customers.
    The upside to that is the answer to almost every tech assist question for Mac users is the same: buy a new one. Shitty for customers, easy work for IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Apple used to overcharge for higher than average quality products that look slick. Now they overcharge for average to slightly less than average quality products that look slick.
    Signature not found

Deleted
    I own an iMac and an iPhone and this thread is entertaining, so much misinformation and assumptions being made on why people invest in Apple products.

It's also pretty funny to see top developers, music producers, film makers being branded as "retards" for using Macs, what have you done with your life?

Apple are notorious for this, I think most consumers that care are aware at this point. I really cannot comprehend why they'd still want to support Apple but they do and there's not much you can say that will dissuade them beyond that.

I think most are caught up in not being able to get rid of the bloatware that can come on Android devices or are unable to unwilling to change the OS, which is a shame as it's pretty easy to do but I can appreciate people just wanting these things done as standard.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Strange, I typed in Accessibility into Windows 10 and this popped up: http://puu.sh/qD0CO/a84f7f7af2.png
    The difference is that the stuff on Apple is designed for it. Windows 10 isn't. There are third party programs for screen reading in Windows that function far better. An iPhone or an iPad is designed with that in mind. It's hard to describe the differences and important functionality is and the differences in quality, how the built-in screen reading on an Apple device (a touch device) is functionally and quality-wise way superior.
    So to get a screen reader for an Android device, you'd have to cough up money. Ontop of that, they aren't as good and the devices themselves don't have the same functionality at all, is messier to navigate and so on. Apple devices have all this built in, easily activated with a voice command to SIRI. SIRI is also pretty good for accessability.

Now, wether or not an app itself is accessible is a different matter.
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2016-08-16 at 01:18 PM.

When, if ever has been the last time you ever saw someone with an Apple Watch ?

Apple makes some cool stuff, but most people can't afford it... most apple products, especially the computers are designed to mainly only use apple based software, and products. Honestly, I dont even know what is inside of a mac computer (hardware)

I think they are more expensive than PC cause, they come with a lot of preinstalled software, that is ready to use on startup... which is nice... but how many times is this just bloatware that people delete anyways.
    Last edited by Linri; 2016-08-16 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Not completely related, but today I read two articles about Dr. Michael Burry dumping all his holdings in Apple and suggesting others do too. He has a habit of seeing trends way before others so when he dumps something it is worth listening to.
    Forget micahel. Carl Icahn exited apple a few months ago. Warrent Buffert; however, did up his stake from 900-1.5b

Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post
    When, if ever has been the last time you ever saw someone with an Apple Watch ?
    About 30 seconds ago.