Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarilo1 View Post
    "hey i raped 12 year old girl can i plz get air conditioning, a king size bed and some lobster for dinner?"
    "hey, I got caught having 4 grams of Mary jane on me, when going to my bud to chill out and whatch some adventure time, could we please get some AC, as I've had 2 heat strokes already?"
    I've no idea what to write here.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Dude, it's been averaging near 40 degrees in Ontario for the better part of a month and I know several people who don't have air conditioning in their homes, and even I can stand that kind of heat because I work in it year round. You know what people did before the days of air conditioning when it was hot, not even 40 years ago? They got off their asses and went for a swim in a river or lake, some people even had pools. My parents and grandparents lived the majority of their lives without air conditioning, hell, we never had it until I was a teenager. We lived and survived without it, it's a fucking luxury and criminals in particular, don't deserve luxury when there are more important people to spend that kind of money on. 46 degrees is child's play, it's gotten hotter than that in some parts of Canada (including Ontario) in recent years and no one has died because of it. A few years ago we had a summer where our average temperature with the humidex was in the low 40's, and people still worked in it. The issue is more with knowing how to combat the heat, not to mention the living conditions in a place like India are a far cry from the quality of life we have in North America or Europe.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2016-08-16 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Dude, it's been averaging near 40 degrees in Ontario for the better part of a month and I know several people who don't have air conditioning in their homes, and even I can stand that kind of heat because I work in it year round. You know what people did before the days of air conditioning when it was hot, not even 40 years ago? They got off their asses and went for a swim in a river or lake, some people even had pools. My parents and grandparents lived the majority of their lives without air conditioning, hell, we never had it until I was a teenager. We lived and survived without it, it's a fucking luxury and criminals in particular, don't deserve luxury when there are more important people to spend that kind of money on.

are you seriously expecting the inmates to "get off their asses and go for a swim in a river or a lake" !?
    I've no idea what to write here.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argarock View Post
    are you seriously expecting the inmates to "get off their asses and go for a swim in a river or a lake" !?
    It was merely an example of what people did before we ever had air conditioning. I have air conditioning and I'd rather go swimming than sit around at home most afternoons.

No

Or, yes, this is what the american prisons do, which is why it's not really working.

Most of the western world it seems have realised prisons should be there to punish AND rehabilitate.
    Just locking a bunch of criminals into a place with horrible physical and mental conditions isnt exactly a good environment to rehabilitate in.

- - - Updated - - -

judging by the amount of people the US have sent to jail compared to other countries, I think they might have started doing this already! :O
    you should probably make the conditions in jail even worse, so less people will want to go there!
    No it's not working because we allow things like rap culture to glorify being a criminal.

"hey, I got caught having 4 grams of Mary jane on me, when going to my bud to chill out and whatch some adventure time, could we please get some AC, as I've had 2 heat strokes already?"
    While I do think that weed laws are stupid, it is still a crime in most places. Dont do the crime if you cant do the time. I say this as a person who lives in an illegal state who smokes.

Also still would like an answer to whether or not poor people have some human right to AC. MANY people in hot areas simply cannot afford the unit or the associated cost of AC, should we give them AC. If the argument is that criminals have some sort of right to it, why should we not afford it to poor folks?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont break the law (especially just for one's own enjoyment), dont risk going to a hot jail. Seems simple enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you get falsely accused in something horrible, Orlong, and get to spend a few months (if not years) in prison, perhaps you will understand the complaint. Sadly, some people lack empathy and compassion, so they can only learn from their own experience...

Also, why didn't this thread get the OP infraction, when he blatantly calls people "scumbags" in the title?
    Last edited by May90; 2016-08-17 at 12:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

It's okay, innocent people never go to prison, ever. The system is perfect and ONLY sends guilty people to prison for life. All those wrongful convictions getting over turned and terrible evidence used to convict people are 100% myth.

Yep. 100% of the people in the largest prison population on earth are there because the government never makes mistakes.
    Sylvanas Windrunner For Warchief 2016!!
    #NoFlyNoSub, #NoFlyNoLegion, #NoFlyNoBuy, #BringBackFlight

So was it inhumane back before A/C was even a thing?

If it's hot enough to be a health concern then fix it. Otherwise - suck it up, pussies.

Quote Originally Posted by Spunt View Post
    It's okay, innocent people never go to prison, ever. The system is perfect and ONLY sends guilty people to prison for life. All those wrongful convictions getting over turned and terrible evidence used to convict people are 100% myth.

Yep. 100% of the people in the largest prison population on earth are there because the government never makes mistakes.
    What % would you say are wrongfully convicted? I fully concede some folks are there unjustly, but how many? And should we make concessions for REAL criminals for the sake of that (probably) small %.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in a room with fairly little vetilation (yay cheap rent right?) in the summer it gets hot enough that if I didn't do everything i could to keep cool, I'd probably die.

So yes, prisoners need AC to avoid death, assuming their conditions get that hot.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I live in a room with fairly little vetilation (yay cheap rent right?) in the summer it gets hot enough that if I didn't do everything i could to keep cool, I'd probably die.

So yes, prisoners need AC to avoid death, assuming their conditions get that hot.
    I have a central cooling system, but I never turn it on, because the electricity bills jump into the sky if I do. Yeah, if I couldn't open windows and drink icy water every hour, I would probably end up in a hospital...
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Deleted
    I am also a scumbag. So I really want to have some TRUE MORALITY FACTS why it is wrong to sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    We don't choose to imprison any of those people. They committed crimes and they chose to go to prison.
    And they put themselves in prison do they? This is a basic legal standard. The government is responsible for the welfare of people in prison because the government has removed their ability to care for their own welfare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    While I do think that weed laws are stupid, it is still a crime in most places. Dont do the crime if you cant do the time. I say this as a person who lives in an illegal state who smokes.

Also still would like an answer to whether or not poor people have some human right to AC. MANY people in hot areas simply cannot afford the unit or the associated cost of AC, should we give them AC. If the argument is that criminals have some sort of right to it, why should we not afford it to poor folks?
    Poor folks still get personal agency. They're not confined to a prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Poor folks still get personal agency. They're not confined to a prison.
    So? If we are to accept, as some here have claimed, that AC is some sort of human right, why should it not be provided. Its the same argument for Healthcare. Personal agency or not its been deemed that HC is a right and measures were taken to insure every one had access.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    lol, ok sport. AC is not a right.
    That's cool.

We were talking about the right for innocent until proven guilty though. I mean, I don't expect you to understand that, given that you say everyone there deserves it because they're guilty. When you decide that being on trial means guilty, not being found guilty of a crime as well, of course

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    You haven't been to Louisiana in the summer before, have you?

It would be like living in Buffalo without heat in the winter.
    75 years ago everyone in Louisiana survived just fine without air conditioning and it was just as hot

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    75 years ago everyone in Louisiana survived just fine without air conditioning and it was just as hot
    Are you sure everyone survived? The death rate from heat tends to be pretty high in places with poor infrastructure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ha ha, land of the free.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.