Parts upgrading questions

So i just plopped a new 1070 in and im wondering about upgrading the rest of my parts.

If i replace my cpu do i have to do a fresh OS install?
    If i replace my mobo do i have to do a fresh OS install?

is it ideal to replace both at the same time?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    So i just plopped a new 1070 in and im wondering about upgrading the rest of my parts.

If i replace my cpu do i have to do a fresh OS install?
    If i replace my mobo do i have to do a fresh OS install?

is it ideal to replace both at the same time?
    If you replace CPU only I don't know, but if you replace the motherboard then you do ( you could in theory still run the old installation of windows but you might hve it crash etc.).
    In my opinion it's better to do both at the same time since you can move up to the current gen, but to tell you for your specific case I need to know what CPU you have currently and what you're thinking of getting if you do and don't change the Mobo

You almost always have to replace your mobo/cpu at the same time when you upgrade because you'll be moving to a new socket *most likely* not always true. You don't have to technicly do a fresh OS install but you probably should when you do major part changes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    You almost always have to replace your mobo/cpu at the same time when you upgrade because you'll be moving to a new socket *most likely* not always true. You don't have to technicly do a fresh OS install but you probably should when you do major part changes.
    That's why I asked him what he was planning to upgrade to, for example if he had a 4th gen i5 and he was debating between a 6th gen i5 or 4th gen i7 for about the same money, then the 4th gen i7 is a better upgrade
    But since I don't know his build and plans I cant help him

What OS are you running? With most recent Windows versions, you are allowed to transfer the OS from one PC or motherboard to another by calling Microsoft, provided it is not an OEM version.
    Last edited by Gorgodeus; 2016-08-16 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    That's why I asked him what he was planning to upgrade to, for example if he had a 4th gen i5 and he was debating between a 6th gen i5 or 4th gen i7 for about the same money, then the 4th gen i7 is a better upgrade
    But since I don't know his build and plans I cant help him
    Yeah it's a pretty good rule of thumb to assume the worst on the forums lol. But yeah if he has a good upgrade path with his current hardware then yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    What OS are you running? With most recent Windows versions, you are allowed to transfer the OS from one PC or motherboard to another by calling Microsoft, provided it is not an OEM version.
    You could do that never heard of anyone doing it tho. But in any case you'll more than likely want to format your OS drive moving between motherboard/cpu combos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Yeah it's a pretty good rule of thumb to assume the worst on the forums lol. But yeah if he has a good upgrade path with his current hardware then yeah.

You could do that never heard of anyone doing it tho. But in any case you'll more than likely want to format your OS drive moving between motherboard/cpu combos.
    You are allowed to do a fresh install of Windows on another pc, provided it is not an OEM version of Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    You are allowed to do a fresh install of Windows on another pc, provided it is not an OEM version of Windows.
    You just repeated yourself. I'm not saying that you can't, I'm saying it's a good idea to do a fresh install when you move between key hardware components IE Mobo/CPU/GPU *GPU less than Mobo/CPU*

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying and if I am please explain.

If i do a fresh OS install its not going to be the one i currently use. I have 16gigs of ram and want to go to 32 but my version of windows 7 doesnt allow more than 16.

currently using this in my cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116899

So if i upgrade in the near future it will prob be a new mobo new cpu and more ram. just was wondering if i had to do it all at once if the socket type didnt change or not. Seeing the responses i will most likely just save up and do it all at once.

Your CPU is still good, try overclocking it if you haven't already, you wont gain much by getting a newer one, also 16gb of ram is plenty for gaming.

So unless you have some specific non gaming needs, I don't see a reason to upgrade at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Your CPU is still good, try overclocking it if you haven't already, you wont gain much by getting a newer one, also 16gb of ram is plenty for gaming.

So unless you have some specific non gaming needs, I don't see a reason to upgrade at all.
    I guess i have a unquie sittuation in that i play eve and ussually run like 10-19 clients so that eats my ram up. I havnt monitered it in other games, but if the cpu and ram are still solid ill prob worry about a new monitor then.