Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    Poverty doesn't follow generation to generation, my grandparents were pretty damned poor, my parents were poor but I am pretty well off. Education and hard work pays off. If you fail to succeed in a western country today then that is down to lack of motivation/will, you don't get to blame someone else for the situation you've created for yourself.
    Poor whites tend to remain poor whites for generations , typcially. As do poor any race, as do poor any people any where on the planet. "Well my gerandparents" who gives a fuck about your grandparents when there are billions of others who are right where they are financially because of their ancestors? Ooh congrats you're part of the 30% of people born to poor people that dont'end up poor.... but you realize there's still that nagging 70% that do.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Poor whites tend to remain poor whites for generations , typcially. As do poor any race, as do poor any people any where on the planet. "Well my gerandparents" who gives a fuck about your grandparents when there are billions of others who are right where they are financially because of their ancestors?
    Yeah, you should rather whine and bitch about your situation and blame someone else than pull yourself out of it. That will work great in the long run.

Yeah, you should rather whine and bitch about your situation and blame someone else than pull yourself out of it. That will work grand in the long run.
    Where do you get that from? I didn't say anything like that.

Also can we just think for a moment, I know that must be difficult, becuase critical thought is just lost on people here, but let's try.

Poor people tend to lack money, they tend to lack opportuinty and they tend to be less educated. "just pull your fucking self up!" interesting here is that it's said mostly by the right... the people that by far are the most poor and soak up the most government money, and are the least educated. Yet they keep the sentiment of "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps!"

If it were all about pulling oneself up by their own bootstraps why are the people who overwhelmingly believe this extremely poor and uneducated?

Why are the left, the people who are the most educated, and the people who are the most well to do, why do they say "well it's about hard work, but we must also try and help however we can via socilist programs."Why do the well to do educated people say that, while the poor uneducated say "it's all about hard work, everything is fair, opportunity is everywhere, just gotta grab it!"

Could it be that only dumb uneducated people think "there are no outside facotrs besides just you." ?
    Last edited by Themius; 2016-08-17 at 01:28 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you did. You're constantly trying to divert away from peoples personal responsibility for their situation.

Also can we just think for a moment, I know that must be difficult, becuase critical thought is just lost on people here, but let's try.

Poor people tend to lack money, they tend to lack opportuinty and they tend to be less educated. "just pull your fucking self up!" interesting here is that it's said mostly by the right... the people that by far are the most poor and soak up the most government money, and are the least educated. Yet they keep the sentiment of "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps!"

If it were all about pulling oneself up by their own bootstraps why are the people who overwhelmingly believe this extremely poor and uneducated?

Why are the left, the people who are the most educated, and the people who are the most well to do, why do they say "well it's about hard work, but we must also try and help however we can via socilist programs."Why do the well to do educated people say that, while the poor uneducated say "it's all about hard work, everything is fair, opportunity is everywhere, just gotta grab it!"

Could it be that only dumb uneducated people think "there are no outside facotrs besides just you." ?
    I've seen blacks come out of south central LA from single parent families to leading wonderfully successful lives. They paid their way through university while maintaining a gpa that got them valedictorian when they graduated university. All the while starting and maintaining different clubs at school and working to pay for their education. Sure it sucks but they made it out to a better life today. What is stopping more from doing that?

Yes, you did. You're constantly trying to divert away from peoples personal responsibility for their situation.
    Personal responsibility only accounts for but so much, the entire story isn't all personal responsibility.

Do you think most of the descendants of wealthy people are still wealthy because of personal responsibility? This country has barriers, pretending otherwise is foolish. As said "personal responsibility" is puppted by the right rich and the right uneducated poor. Meanwhile the left sees it as the more complicated problem it is.

7+ Year Old Account
    Personal responsibility only accounts for but so much, the entire story isn't all personal responsibility.

Do you think most of the descendants of wealthy people are still wealthy because of personal responsibility? This country has barriers, pretending otherwise is foolish. As said "personal responsibility" is puppted by the right rich and the right uneducated poor. Meanwhile the left sees it as the more complicated problem it is.
    Just because someone else is rich it doesn't prevent you from being able to pull yourself out of poverty or getting an education. You're acting as if pulling yourself out of poverty means becoming as wealthy as those who have inherited wealth.

Oh you mean the democrats that run those cities in crisis for 20 or more years into the ground? How is that the republicans fault? It's top down democrats from mayor to the new hire cop that pulls you over for no reason. You aren't seeing reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    I've seen blacks come out of south central LA from single parent families to leading wonderfully successful lives. They paid their way through university while maintaining a gpa that got them valedictorian when they graduated university. All the while starting and maintaining different clubs at school and working to pay for their education. Sure it sucks but they made it out to a better life today. What is stopping more from doing that?
    People do do it... but it's not race that's the culprit here. Around the world the majority of poor people simply stay poor. In just about all countries this is the case. It's not about race, it's about economics. The reason blacks (americans) are so poor just so happens to stem from their history in this country which is rife with ways to literally disenfranchise them. Africans and black west indians are black, but their history in this country is nowhere near the same as black Americans who come from a very different background.

My family has been relatively well to do for the past 100+ years, if they were dirt poor in the past and dirt poor just barely 30-40 years ago... I would liekly have had a drastically different life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Oh you mean the democrats that run those cities in crisis for 20 or more years into the ground? How is that the republicans fault? It's top down democrats from mayor to the new hire cop that pulls you over for no reason. You aren't seeing reality.
    Democrats aren't left in this country.

You can blame the "tough on crime"era for a lot of fuck ups.

What's up with all the alt ban evading accounts?

And what's bullshit about saying "jim crow led to extreme poverty in black american communities years ago. Poverty tends to follow generation to generation so it'll be a few more generatiosn before that group is doing much better than they are now."

We've literally seen this around the world, but it seems when we tlak about black people, oh no no no, it's just that they're bad people.

- - - Updated - - -

What do Africans have to do with the treatment of black Americans after slavery?
    It's bullshit because you are saying - "if you are a poor black youth and commit a crime, it isn't your fault."When the only persons whose fault it is is yours. Being poor is not a free pass to commit crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    It's bullshit because you are saying - "if you are a poor black youth and commit a crime, it isn't your fault."When the only persons whose fault it is is yours. Being poor is not a free pass to commit crime.
    Where do you get it isn't their fault from?

If I say "hm this husband battered his wife, it appears that it may have something to do with his history. His father used to abuse him and his mother and this likely is why he was more likley to abuse his own family."

Are you telling me that observation means I'm okay with domestic violence?

I mean fuck, try to make an obersvationa and offer historical context, and now you instantly support all crime.

"he murdered his mother, it appers he got more violent after suffering a frontal lobe injury." "Fuck you themius, why are you advocating murder!" Well shit...

7+ Year Old Account
    Skipping posts because they're too hard for you to respond to. Cool, I'm right.

Skipping posts because they're too hard for you to respond to. Cool, I'm right.
    Already answered, I don't have time to hold your hand through simple arguments.

7+ Year Old Account
    Already answered, I don't have time to hold your hand through simple arguments.
    No, you're just refusing to acknowledge their personal responsibility for their situation and acting as if pulling yourself out of poverty means that you should be as rich as those who have inherited wealth.

If you're living in poverty in a western country in present time then that is because of yourself, not others. You don't need to be rich to not live in poverty.

Jim crow effects are still felt within this country and probably will be for another 3-4 generations.

I don't know why people think "hey it's been like 40 some years, everything is totally equal now."like.. no... it takes a long time to repair issues like this. You see this around the world with past ethnic groups who were oppressed given recent equality (recent being within the past half century) it takes a long time, things don't just magically fix themselves simply because "now" things are equal.

If you deny a group of people education, it'll take more than just a couple decades to make sure that generation is fully educated to the level of everyone else. Do you deny that?

There's a reason why black americans do worse than black immigrants, it's because of their background, they're more disenfranchised than immigrants are and are worse off, and it's because of their history.

Generational poverty isn't new... we know it exist, and usually if you're poor you stay poor or it takes quite a while to get out of poverty. Why do you think it should be any different from black Americans?
    And so, the lame duck of poverty leads to rape, murder and looting comes back to the lake. All to justify some stolen and burnt weave.

If you spend 20 years telling black people they are disadvantaged for being black and it is the fault of white people, do you think they'll try to improve or just believe it and do nothing but complain?

Running away from police shouldn't result in you being shot unless the person running is going to pose an immediate threat to someone else.
    You can't fuck a bee hive and expect not to get stung. Perhaps shooting the person that was running was an overreaction, but if people would just show some respect for authority we wouldn't have these problems. It's not a problem with police. It's a problem with society. Period.

Hmf...only white people have the luxury of claiming that they are colorblind.

But don't be a poor black man and get arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    You can't fuck a bee hive and expect not to get stung. Perhaps shooting the person that was running was an overreaction, but if people would just show some respect for authority we wouldn't have these problems. It's not a problem with police. It's a problem with society. Period.
    Running away with a gun in hand seems grounds for a shooting. I was referring that in general, a person running away shouldn't be shot, unless they pose an immediate threat. A gun is an immediate threat.

I said this you know... so maybe maybe read the second page.

No, you're just refusing to acknowledge their personal responsibility for their situation and acting as if pulling yourself out of poverty means that you should be as rich as those who have inherited wealth.

If you're living in poverty in a western country in present time then that is because of yourself, not others. You don't need to be rich to not live in poverty.
    Your ignorance about US poverty is glaringly obvious.

If you're born in it, you tend to stay there.

You little airy-fairy claims are just that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Your ignorance about US poverty is glaringly obvious.

If you're born in it, you tend to stay there.

You little airy-fairy claims are just that.
    I didn't stay there. I pulled myself out of it. It's your lack of motivation/lack of will to change your situation that keeps you in it.

There is absolutely nothing that's stopping people from pulling themselves out of poverty other than themselves.