Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Overclocked pc - BSOD - Random occurrence

Hey all so a quick question...

My pcs been running overclocked for about 2 weeks straight now (i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz 1.340v), previously it was at 4.6ghz 1.345v - I've had no issues what so ever with BSOD or such and temps are acceptable i.m.o, below 80c so its not overheating.

Today whilst temps rose quite high (31c) my pc reached a max temp of 74c, nothing to worry about, but later on i went downstairs, came back up and noticed my PC had froze and then BSOD.

My question is... What is causing the BSOD? It's only happened once, should i even worry about it?
    Could it be my OC ? As in requiring more voltage? It ran 2 weeks fine without any issues, maybe i was on the edge and it requires the original 1.345v?

I've bumped the voltage back up to 1.345v but i just want your opinions tbh - To me it makes me think it can't be the OC due to it being stable for 2 weeks.

My i7 2600K OC would BSOD only on idle, it would happen only 1 out of 50 idle's and it usually required over 20mins of idle time for it to happen which meant rarely, literally once per month or maybe per 3 weeks.. took me 6 months before i figured out it wanted a certain C-State to be enabled so it would stop happening cause apparently another C-state would cause the BSOD when it was enabled, apparently after 20mins of idle

If you BSOD on heavy-load thats when the OC is unstable, if you BSOD on idle its usually the stupid power settings that you need to find which to disable for it to stop happening.

My 6700K is running at 1.375v, 4.6Ghz right now, could probably go a bit lower, but didnt bother. 1.325v at 4.5Ghz was stable also. Check your load line calibration and make sure all core are syncronized.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I BSOD during wow + streaming, but i literally did this the past 2 weeks without any issues, so meh idk, all cores and sync'd ill check LLC later.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    I BSOD during wow + streaming, but i literally did this the past 2 weeks without any issues, so meh idk, all cores and sync'd ill check LLC later.
    You'd ideally need something that will get you graphs of 12V voltage and vcore.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    You'd ideally need something that will get you graphs of 12V voltage and vcore.
    Okay so i'll give as much info as possible;

- LLC is set to Auto
    - I don't know how to track 12V in graph

the BSOD Only happened once, yday at the 1.34voltage (2week stable) - i have now upped it back to 1.345V which it has not crashed on in the past.

Something i did notice was when i turned my computer off via the computer option "Shut down" my pc monitors would turn off but the FANs and GPU/Sound Card LED would stay on, as if the pc did not shut down. This didn't happen every time but it did happen quite often. I believe this was around the time i also reduced the voltage from 1.345 to 1.34v

My PSU is brand new - EVGA 650w gold or something similar.

Was all this an indication that the 1.34v wasn't actually enough? Even though i never had any BSOD until yday the shut down issue makes me think it could be? I know this is normally an indication of PSU issues but its brand new and only happened with the voltage change if memory serves right.

Okay so i'll give as much info as possible;

- LLC is set to Auto
    - I don't know how to track 12V in graph

the BSOD Only happened once, yday at the 1.34voltage (2week stable) - i have now upped it back to 1.345V which it has not crashed on in the past.

Something i did notice was when i turned my computer off via the computer option "Shut down" my pc monitors would turn off but the FANs and GPU/Sound Card LED would stay on, as if the pc did not shut down. This didn't happen every time but it did happen quite often. I believe this was around the time i also reduced the voltage from 1.345 to 1.34v

My PSU is brand new - EVGA 650w gold or something similar.

Was all this an indication that the 1.34v wasn't actually enough? Even though i never had any BSOD until yday the shut down issue makes me think it could be? I know this is normally an indication of PSU issues but its brand new and only happened with the voltage change if memory serves right.
    For graph tracking try SpeedFan, it doesnt support my motherboard's sensors though. You can also use HWMonitor Pro (I believe trial is enough) or motherboard software. For LLC try setting it to the lowest possible (eg Level 1, Extreme or something like that). Also if you have an ASUS board your instability could very much be caused by memory.

I never really understood LLC

Basically it makes your Vcore, for example mine is: 1.345v - drop and rise as needed?

So LLC:1 makes it go very low/very high? e.g: 1v-1.4v ?
    LLC:7(max) makes it go 1.3-1.37?

Obviously just examples above, but i'm unsure how it actually works.

My memory is noted in the motherboard manual as being supported too.
    I'll try HWpro.

I never really understood LLC

Basically it makes your Vcore, for example mine is: 1.345v - drop and rise as needed?

So LLC:1 makes it go very low/very high? e.g: 1v-1.4v ?
    LLC:7(max) makes it go 1.3-1.37?

Obviously just examples above, but i'm unsure how it actually works.

My memory is noted in the motherboard manual as being supported too.
    I'll try HWpro.
    LLC makes you Vcore more stable, eliminating time needed to stabilize vcore under load/power mode change, while increasing the load on your CPU power phases (which shouldnt be an issue considering that most OC motherboards have 8-10 CPU power phases). Depeding on the mode chosen and the manufacturer of your motherboard high LLC mode can significantly overvoltage your CPU so you have to monitor it closely. The goal is to find a setting that will keep your vcore close to what you set in BIOS under all conditions.

LLC makes you Vcore more stable, eliminating time needed to stabilize vcore under load/power mode change, while increasing the load on your CPU power phases (which shouldnt be an issue considering that most OC motherboards have 8-10 CPU power phases). Depeding on the mode chosen and the manufacturer of your motherboard high LLC mode can significantly overvoltage your CPU so you have to monitor it closely. The goal is to find a setting that will keep your vcore close to what you set in BIOS under all conditions.
    Okay so i haven't crashed since i set Vcore to 1.345 - although i aint been active much since then either...

I've gone into the BIOS and set my LLC up - i set it to level 1 first - at idle Vcore was 1.31 and was dropping below 1.26 - this kept happening until level 6
    Level 5 was showing 1.328Vcore idle

So i currently have my LLC on level 6 (max is 7), idle Vcore: 1.344, under a quick Aida test it didn't drop below, and i saw it BRIEFLY jump to 1.360 or something for less than a second.

Is this okay?

Really don't understand LLC much , tried researching it and everyones talking about additional settings e.g. Extreme and such.
    When i had LLC on Auto before though, it always stayed around 1.344v too.

Also about the PC not shutting down thing, It seems like its either of these 2:
    1. pcs been on for a while
    2. It's very hot that day

I've tried it in the mornings and it shuts down perfectly, i'll see what happens today, hopefully it stays cool like it is right now.

Edit:

Also HWpro dosen't allow 12v tracking in trial - Speedfan dosen't work for me either.

Okay so i haven't crashed since i set Vcore to 1.345 - although i aint been active much since then either...

I've gone into the BIOS and set my LLC up - i set it to level 1 first - at idle Vcore was 1.31 and was dropping below 1.26 - this kept happening until level 6
    Level 5 was showing 1.328Vcore idle

So i currently have my LLC on level 6 (max is 7), idle Vcore: 1.344, under a quick Aida test it didn't drop below, and i saw it BRIEFLY jump to 1.360 or something for less than a second.

Is this okay?

Really don't understand LLC much , tried researching it and everyones talking about additional settings e.g. Extreme and such.
    When i had LLC on Auto before though, it always stayed around 1.344v too.

Also about the PC not shutting down thing, It seems like its either of these 2:
    1. pcs been on for a while
    2. It's very hot that day

I've tried it in the mornings and it shuts down perfectly, i'll see what happens today, hopefully it stays cool like it is right now.

Edit:

Also HWpro dosen't allow 12v tracking in trial - Speedfan dosen't work for me either.
    LLC settings really depends on the manufacturer. On my board the highest LLC setting is Level 1, for example. Drops to 1.26 are really serious though. Your shutting down problems can be a byproduct of your voltage problems, could also be a C-state bug on your motherboard or alternatively you can try to play with package power limits.

Well the 1.26 drop was only on LLC 1

At my current LLC settings 6 my 1.345Voltage is consistently 1.344Voltage, i've seen it drop to 1.328Voltage (once for a second) and as high as 1.36voltage

Is this fine? The drop to 1.328voltage for example.

my 12V hangs around 12.096v and lowest i've seen is 12v...

From what i heard my Vcore should not drop below my set Vcore which is 1.345?

15+ Year Old Account
    The problem with LLC is microspikes in voltage. Under normal operation (no LLC), your vCore voltage will drop under load. LLC is designed to bump up the vCore to compensate for this drop, which typically makes the overclock more stable. The problem comes when the load dissipates. It takes some time (fractions of a second) for the system to recognize and adjust to this drop. In the meantime, the vCore voltage has spiked for that fraction of a second.

As an example, let's say you're running at 1.36V. Under load without LLC, this might drop to 1.32V. With a properly set LLC, the motherboard pushes another 0.04V to compensate. Once the load goes away, that 0.04V takes a few seconds to go away, temporarily running your CPU at 1.40V. It's only a fraction of a second, but the effect over time isn't too well known because it's rather hard to determine if you took a year off the life of a CPU because of these microspikes.

In any case, the LLC setting used should never result in vCore increasing under load. This is extremely important because it is not only running more than intended voltage, but then microspiking even higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    The problem with LLC is microspikes in voltage. Under normal operation (no LLC), your vCore voltage will drop under load. LLC is designed to bump up the vCore to compensate for this drop, which typically makes the overclock more stable. The problem comes when the load dissipates. It takes some time (fractions of a second) for the system to recognize and adjust to this drop. In the meantime, the vCore voltage has spiked for that fraction of a second.

As an example, let's say you're running at 1.36V. Under load without LLC, this might drop to 1.32V. With a properly set LLC, the motherboard pushes another 0.04V to compensate. Once the load goes away, that 0.04V takes a few seconds to go away, temporarily running your CPU at 1.40V. It's only a fraction of a second, but the effect over time isn't too well known because it's rather hard to determine if you took a year off the life of a CPU because of these microspikes.

In any case, the LLC setting used should never result in vCore increasing under load. This is extremely important because it is not only running more than intended voltage, but then microspiking even higher.
    This heavily depends on your motherboard, the CPU power design and LLC implementation. I've warned the OP about the effects and warned that he should monitor his Vcore closely. Problem is Vdroop and LLC and literally different on each and every system. It depends on the motherboard, PSU, processor itself (as the voltage control in two latest generation is done by the processor), other BIOS settings, so it's very hard to tell what to do specifically.

What was the BSOD code? Its hard to tell what it was without it.

15+ Year Old Account
    This heavily depends on your motherboard, the CPU power design and LLC implementation. I've warned the OP about the effects and warned that he should monitor his Vcore closely. Problem is Vdroop and LLC and literally different on each and every system. It depends on the motherboard, PSU, processor itself (as the voltage control in two latest generation is done by the processor), other BIOS settings, so it's very hard to tell what to do specifically.
    That's why the only certainty that I put forward was that the LLC setting should never increase vCore under load.

Well i only had it rise to 1.36v once and i'm not sure when that actually was, I played wow + stream, it was just staying at 1.344v - After i did a few tests on AIDA, It never went above, and didn't drop either.

I'm using Asus AI suite 3 to monitor 12V and such because Speedfan/HWPro wouldn't

I've also noticed it displays my CPU temp differently than HWMonitor does, for example;

AI suite showed cpu at 63c - HWmonitor showed Package: 75c or what not...

Are these not the same? Which one is reliable? Considering i have an Asus z170-A Mobo and the AI suite is the software it comes with i would assume the AI suite is accurate?

Even in AIDA though, CPU was showing temps of 60-65 but the Cores were much higher.
    Maybe i'm stupid and CPU temps are completely different from Package on HWmonitor; i assumed all 4 cores = CPU temp.

Not sure, I'll keep an eye on the Vcore though, still, my Vcore never moved from 1.344v when i had LLC set to Auto.

Well i only had it rise to 1.36v once and i'm not sure when that actually was, I played wow + stream, it was just staying at 1.344v - After i did a few tests on AIDA, It never went above, and didn't drop either.

I'm using Asus AI suite 3 to monitor 12V and such because Speedfan/HWPro wouldn't

I've also noticed it displays my CPU temp differently than HWMonitor does, for example;

AI suite showed cpu at 63c - HWmonitor showed Package: 75c or what not...

Are these not the same? Which one is reliable? Considering i have an Asus z170-A Mobo and the AI suite is the software it comes with i would assume the AI suite is accurate?

Even in AIDA though, CPU was showing temps of 60-65 but the Cores were much higher.
    Maybe i'm stupid and CPU temps are completely different from Package on HWmonitor; i assumed all 4 cores = CPU temp.

Not sure, I'll keep an eye on the Vcore though, still, my Vcore never moved from 1.344v when i had LLC set to Auto.
    Mobo software is generally not reliable. Package temp higher than individual cores temp - completely normal.

Okay so turned pc off - Screen turned off, GPU was off - Soundcard LED stayed on, mobo light stayed on, Fans stayed on. I don't get it at all lol, i shut down pc earlier when it was 28c room temp, after playing wow a bit, shut down normally.

I feel like replugging all the cables in... Mainly Mobo and CPU connectors, somethings not right.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay i've replugged the cables in, i doubt it makes a difference but lets see

Also my RAM runs at 3500mhz when gaming - The ram itself is 3000mhz ram and my motherboard is the asus z170-a which in the manual shows a max OC memory compatibility of 3400mhz - Could this be causing any issues? If so how would i go about fixing it?

I've simply enabled XMP and the rams set to 3000mhz, but it runs at 3500mhz when gaming.

Also there was an option that i disabled LONG ago when i first overclocked as the tooltip literally says "Disable if overclocking". "cpu communicates with the external voltage regulator" i believe.

Yeah I believe it's called SVID support. It enables motherboard voltage regulator to control processor voltage, instead of integrated one. FIVR (integrated one) was added to combat Vdroop, which you are experiencing. You should definetely disable this setting. Also try disabling XMP and see if the shutdown problem persists.