Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yes, let's complain about Thor being a girl.

When there was no complaint over THESE incarnations;

And that's just speaking of entities that WERE Thor, rather than just people who managed to wield the hammer.

Mjolnir doesn't come with an "unless they be a girl" exception clause.

Plus, if we want to dig into the actual mythology Thor sprang from, a little gender-bending is by no means out of the picture. Hell, Loki not only turned into a girl, he turned into a female horse, and gave birth to Odin's famous steed, Sleipnir.

Really, with all this stuff, it shouldn't matter that the character's now a girl, or the new person filling the role is black, or hispanic. Iron Man isn't defined by his being white. Thor isn't defined by being a dude. And for the most part, these aren't even changes to the actual character, they're new characters taking on these particular roles. Which makes the complaint even more silly.
    If you want to bring this down to mythology Endus why did they make "the whitest of the gods" hymdall black then?(oh before you say "check my privlage" i am a black gay man)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    what i wonder is how is there alt time line people if theirs no alt worlds any more? unless reed and his ilk made some alt worlds to?
    I've been reading super hero comics for 20+ years. You got to accept the 'this is comics... /punt' mentality or it will not be an enjoyable experience. Suspension of disbelief and logic is required...

I still want to be a super hero when I grow up...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by garr21 View Post
    If you want to bring this down to mythology Endus why did they make "the whitest of the gods" hymdall black then?(oh before you say "check my privlage" i am a black gay man)
    Thor is an omnigod... I don't think he notices the gender or race of us mortals, nor do these confines mean anything to gods.

- - - Updated - - -

Complaining about diversity in comics, is like complaining about extermination of mutants in reality.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by garr21 View Post
    If you were Jewish I would be having a nosebleed from the sheer volume of oppression you must face.

That's like, a royal flush of oppression. But as it stands you are sitting on whatever is just below that. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a heads up to the diversity queens of comics. Their mind control of you began a long time ago. Superman is an illegal alien, who has at least violated voting rights laws, by voting with a fake birth certificate and citizenship. He took jobs from actual citizens. Even in super hero terms, Hal Jordan, not only a citizen of his country, but also of earth. Was pretty much supplanted as our galaxy's protector, by someone from Krypton? A planet that doesn't even exist? And you worship him as a hero? #TrumpWasRight
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    i was getting that you thought them making new characters and giving them the names of others was a problem because social justice warriors liked that they were black but i could be wrong, and diversity hasn't been a problem.
    I would say my objection is its become tired and old. In general it would be nice if something new and original came out.

The other problem is that people introduce genderbend or racebend characters mainly to fist fuck us with an Aesop's fable that would make the old CBS/NBC after-school specials look tame and complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    To me it feels more like certain groups of people are forcing these things to happen whether or not it makes sense, because if they don't get their way they take to the internet to launch slander campaigns and generally throw a tantrum in the name of "diversity" which, let's be frank here, usually means "not white and/or male".

In short, having a black guy become Captain America because it fits the story (and comics always have alternate universes) is one thing, and there's no issue with it as long as it makes sense and the character brings a different take to the character of Captain America. Making a black guy Captain America because a loudmouth group of entitled "kids" on the internet are saying you're a racist because Captain America is always white is another thing entirely. Same with anything else, sexual preference, gender orientation, etc. You don't make a character a genderfluid polysexual half-black half-latinx dragonkin to appease some people who will scream that you are a bad person for not doing that, you do it because you have an interesting story/set of stories to tell with such a character.
    This.
    And it's from a Mod... wow, you gave me back a tiny little hope in this regressiveliberal culturemarxists shithole forum.
    Edit: Oh never mind, i got to the Endus comments, it's gone.
    Last edited by Vilendor; 2016-08-18 at 06:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Marvel's Senior VP of print sales & marketing, David Gabriel, doesnt seem too worried. Sales are doing fine.

He totally dials in the dudebros, by ignoring all those whiners on the internets!
    The first thing we do is watch the sales. If you watch the Internet and the message boards, you would do the wrong thing. And I think there are publishers who do that, which is unfortunate. So that’s the easiest thing to do, is just watch the sales.
    So they watched the sales of the female Thor, forget the chattering classes on the message boards!
    We said the same thing with Mighty Thor. To me, the paradigm shift started for us when we brought in the female Thor, because that horrified and supposedly alienated the people you’re talking about, but it also certainly rejuvenated that character and that book and made it one of our bestselling books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I have no clue if this comic is any good but I will say one thing about Marvel.

Any excuse for a chance at doing another #1 issue is a good excuse.

ANAD Avengers is probably my best selling Avengers title still but they've all been slipping. Oh well. Better luck next time.

Oh and I agree Marvel's cover paper quality is shit. It creases easily and doesn't hold ink as well.

At least they didn't fuck up the Star Wars comics. Except that pissing off Kieron Gillen bit.
    #1 issues are highly lucrative for Marvel and shops so yeah any excuse I guess. I think it's being broken down into Young Avengers, and USAvengers and some other Avengers themed title. I do feel kinda bad for them doing new #1's because, I believe that it damages the character for the long haul if done too many times too quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree we need more like this:

Comics are in need of more killer cats

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    Eric Masterson http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Eric_Masterson_(Earth-616) after they got body merged to save Eric's life,It started as two people stuck together kinda like firestorm, but after they split he only took(kept) Thor name because he was filling in for Thor (Thor was on Asgard at the time) for the avengers and even came out to Cap and finally the others, who he was (so while having the powers he was basically an imposter and felt guilty about it), and finally got his own name thunderstrike, so it was never really a new "Thor" at any point
    iirc Thor was banished when Eric took over us mantle. Eric was Thor in the same way Jane Foster is now, he is a human being who wielded Mjolnir and used the name "Thor" as his super-hero name, to the extent that he was the star of the Thor comic book. Just like Jane Foster he even had some eye-roll moments with the Absorbing Man and Titania.

Dargo Ktor - not just from future but from a different universe - Earth-8710
    His universe is a potential future of the 616 universe so it follows the same rules, Ktor got to the main universe by time-travel, not dimension hopping like you need to reach the Ultimate universe.

That is beyond stupid and shows the decline of the genre.

Deleted
    I don't give a fuck what color the skin is or what gender the super hero is, as long as I enjoy the movie I will be watching it.
    To be bad that usually with changes like this the movie script also becomes a lot shittier (new fantastic 4 was shit, new ghost busters was shit).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    As a ethnic minority (hispanic)
    Soon to be majority (+40%) in the US by 2040.

Overwhelming majority of +75% by the end of the century.

Quote Originally Posted by Teja View Post
    Soon to be majority (+40%) in the US by 2040.

Overwhelming majority of +75% by the end of the century.
    Then they will move on to canada so many kids

I don't read comic books, I generally consider myself an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Marvel's Senior VP of print sales & marketing, David Gabriel, doesnt seem too worried. Sales are doing fine.

He totally dials in the dudebros, by ignoring all those whiners on the internets!

So they watched the sales of the female Thor, forget the chattering classes on the message boards!
    I want to just yell at the guy for this.

What do you think about the kids category and market? It seems to be a bigger part of the market now. How does Marvel try to reach that target?
    Kids are still hard. When we talk Scholastic, I think of eight and up, but when I think about "kids" I think five- to eight-year-olds. We have Disney Publishing who does a lot with our movie and animated characters. And they do 8x8s and they have kids programs, and all of those books that are in the mass market and bookstores, and worldwide with the characters. We leave that up to them. We make sure that we have comic product to match up with the animation slate that we have. And then we put out other books that I think toe the line between what’s a kids book and what’s an adult book. Some of the Disney Kingdoms books have been right between kid and adult and they’ve brought in a lot of both. Ms. Marvel is certainly hitting the teen audience and the adult audience. Squirrel Girl is doing the same. That’s another book that Scholastic took in large amounts. And maybe it’s a lot of the female-centric titles that are getting to the kids. They read more…
    Some of my best memories growing up was with my brother, watching X-Men on Fox Kids at 11am... playing X-Men or X-Force n the guest room bed. I was Wolverine, he was cable. I was Magneto, he was Mister Sinister. They were wonderful, wonderful memories.

The reason "Kids are Hard" David Gabriel, you utter and complete dunce, is because you have given free reign to your writers to write adult-themed content that appeals to them and addresses issues they care about and allows them to commentate on today's issues (for some reason). Your mainline comic books are anti-Kid friendly.

In my eyes the gold standard is Adjectiveless X-Men, lets say from issue #1 in 1992 to right around Operation Zero Tolerence kind of brought an end to the Blue/Gold team idea. Are they sophisticated comics? Nope. Are they are great works of the art form? Not at all. But what they are is fun and engaging. As a kid, I ate it up. As an adult, I can read it and think "this is awesome!". It's escapist. It is Marvel Cinema's approach, 25 years early, in comic book form.

In my view, COmic Book writers who want to use their assignments to comentent on the issues of the day probably shouldn't be Comic Book writers. The current Sam Wilson: Captain America series is indicative of this. I detest Trump. I detest the hard right. But it is wholly inappropriate to have a comic, suppoedly meant for all ages, soured by contemporary, and ultimately fleeting controversies. Don't believe me? Go look at all the post-9/11 early Afghan-War comic book stuff. Most people, including publishers, find it all terribly embarrassing. If Nick Spencer wants to commentate, he should go work for The Daily Beast. As for Cap, I want to read about Cap vs AIM, Cap vs the real green suited Hydra, not see US Agent, a long time Avenger, turned back into a fascist.

Blame Flash. He pulled everything into a new timeline.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yes, let's complain about Thor being a girl.

Really, with all this stuff, it shouldn't matter that the character's now a girl, or the new person filling the role is black, or hispanic. Iron Man isn't defined by his being white. Thor isn't defined by being a dude. And for the most part, these aren't even changes to the actual character, they're new characters taking on these particular roles. Which makes the complaint even more silly.
    This line of thinking doesn't align with the reality of the product they're offering.

On the specifics of Thor, this was the 2014 announcement:
    This October, Marvel Comics evolves once again in one of the most shocking and exciting changes ever to shake one of the “big three” of Captain America, Iron Man and Thor. No longer is the classic Thunder God able to hold the mighty hammer, Mjölnir, and a brand new female hero will emerge worthy of the name THOR.
    Who is she? Where did she come from and what is her connection to Asgard and the Marvel Universe?
    “The inscription on Thor's hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it's time to update that inscription,”

They didn't announce just a new incarnation, with just this or that quality. Before they revealed the new identity, the only defining features they announced was that it was
    -a female.
    -a hero.
    -worthy of it.

Considering that being worthy and a hero are kind of a given, the only thing that does actually matter to producers in that announcement is that it's a female.

It should't matter? possibly. Reality is that it does.
    And people are bitching about it because it does matter.
    Anyone that thinks hero-gender should not matter should be complaining about this iteration: because it does.

Thor wasn't defined by being a dude. Thor is now defined by being a female.

So, yes, let's complain about Thor being a girl. And you should too if you are consistent with your rationalization.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-08-18 at 12:04 PM.

Diversity is getting boring. I can pretty much predict some second rate artist is going to do a "shocking" change to some old character in order to get some controversy and fame. I will bother to give the new marvels another eye when they come up with something original.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    In my view, COmic Book writers who want to use their assignments to comentent on the issues of the day probably shouldn't be Comic Book writers.
    This is stupid.

Some of the best comic books - or graphic novels - deal with the present day issues in one form or another.

V for Vendetta, Watchmen, We3... the list goes on.