Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    It is good for the mere sake of it. How do you not grasp that? If anyone actually gave a shit about storytelling comics, movies and TV would've fallen into the abyss years ago.

Do you actually believe that the white male sausage party is how comics should actually be? Most of your favorite characters date back to a time where society was much more racist and homophopic and somewhat sexist? Things weren't diverse because the publishers were scared shitless of doing so.
    Man, you are really racist against white men.

Clearly the better choice is to do nothing at all. Also "Forced" is an opinion you have. I prefer to say more accurate reflection of society.
    You didn't literally use the word force, but you alluded to it.

Except for all the people that it didn't piss off who do enjoy the comic. Who aren't shouting misogyny at anyone. You might not like it. That's fine. You might dislike it for the wrong reason (misogyny) or you might not like it for other reasons. Quite frankly I can't tell which is which.

Quite frankly, Batman is my best selling comic and I find that completely baffling.
    You can't tell which reasons I dislike it for? Odd, I just fired off a bunch right there. None of which had anything to do with misogyny. Which is a joke in and of itself, I don't hate women.

Yes, you did. I helpfully clipped the part where you did.
    Please point out where any of my criticisms of the characters were focused on their skin colour or their gender, because you didn't "clip" anything of the sort. Go ahead, I'll wait.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    lol no doubt. There's a fuckin' laundry list of problems with Ghostbusters (2016) being a terrible fucking movie from inception to release, none of which have to do with "all female cast" rage.
    Thank goodness the Wonder Woman trailer came out and shit on that "Can't stand female led movies" myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    "Forced diversity is always good!" ... thats just tokenism.
    So then we should have more minority groups in comics since theyre not well represented, most of comics is still white dudes, so clearly more of them have to get replaced. Then it's not tokenism because it'd be a serious attempt at making the comics world reflect the real worlds diversity.

I'm stoked you agree with having many many more diverse characters in comics as opposed to the small number we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by BreakerOfWills View Post
    So then we should have more minority groups in comics since theyre not well represented, most of comics is still white dudes, so clearly more of them have to get replaced. Then it's not tokenism because it'd be a serious attempt at making the comics world reflect the real worlds diversity.

I'm stoked you agree with having many many more diverse characters in comics as opposed to the small number we have now.
    No, its tokenism - literally, to the definition of the word. You're arguing for forced diversity, for tokenism. Just for the sake of it. Thats your only reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Thank goodness the Wonder Woman trailer came out and shit on that "Can't stand female led movies" myth.
    I dislike the Wonder Woman movie not because it's a woman, but because DC has gone full fuckin' retard with their cinematic universe and I don't trust them any more

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    and Endus' response to race/gender/sexuality:

is pretty bigoted.
    Except that's not my response. You deliberately left off half the sentence. It's about as honest as if you claimed I'd said "Slavery is a strong system for supporting an economy" and thus was a supporter of slavery, leaving off the rest of the sentence where I'd said "though the human rights abuses inherent to its action make it untenable in any ethical society."

You don't get to just edit down someone's statements until you can make it look like they said something "bad". That's basically just lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    No, its tokenism - literally, to the definition of the word. You're arguing for forced diversity, for tokenism. Just for the sake of it. Thats your only reason.
    By your definition tokenism is a "the practice of making only a perfunctory or symbolic effort to do a particular thing, especially by recruiting a small number of people from underrepresented groups in order to give the appearance of sexual or racial equality within a workforce."

So the issue is too small a number to give the "appearance" of equality. So clearly the answer is to get tons more diversity, so it's actual equality instead of the appearance of it. Therefore the only answer is way more diverse characters. Unless you want less diversity, in which case make that argument.

I dislike the Wonder Woman movie not because it's a woman, but because DC has gone full fuckin' retard with their cinematic universe and I don't trust them any more
    I don't blame you. BvS and SS were dissappointing, even if I had fun. Still, I should have some fun.

I don't blame you. BvS and SS were dissappointing, even if I had fun. Still, I should have some fun.
    The fuckin' sad part is that the "Ultimate Edition" of BvS was actually not bad lol, it especially made a lot more shit make sense like the whole desert attack. Why was so much cut from the theatrical release?! Fuck.

Thus far the only thing quasi decent that came out of DC since ...since... Dark Knight Rises is the Wonder Woman "cameo" in BvS.

To be honest DC really needs to hire the guys who fucking cut their trailers to fucking cut their movies too, because it's pretty obvious that the only fucking competent people working for DC are they guys who have to cut their trailers.

I have hopes for Wonder Woman, from what I've seen in the trailer...but again...it's a DC trailer.

P.S Oh yeah... and Amanda Waller in Suicide Squad was ...to quote Deadshot... Gangsta and a Mean Lady.

You can't tell which reasons I dislike it for? Odd, I just fired off a bunch right there. None of which had anything to do with misogyny. Which is a joke in and of itself, I don't hate women.
    Its like people who argue for "State's Rights". Do you honestly and passionately believe in states rights? I understand the argument but why is it so often used by people who really just seem to be mad that the Federal Government won't let you be a shithead anymore.

Do you honestly and passionately believe that The Mighty Thor is poorly written? Or are you just thinking up reasons to shit on the comic because you hate that your Golden Boy lost his mallet to a girl? I really can't tell.

Please point out where any of my criticisms of the characters were focused on their skin colour or their gender, because you didn't "clip" anything of the sort. Go ahead, I'll wait.
    Here you go:
    Honestly Fem Thor should have pissed more people off, but they were too busy shouting "misogyny!" at the people criticizing it.
    I'm surprised you didn't use everyone's favourite insult "SJW". I admire your restraint.

Unlike a vast majority of posters in this thread, I presume, I actually read these comics and most of them are very good despite what people are saying here. I am fine with diversity in comics because young children and adolescence read these comics. They need to know that their diversity is part of the "normal" spectrum of the human experience.

We transmit our cultural beliefs and values in our art. Thus, Marvel is not expressing the belief of, "White people are crazy and terrible!" Rather, they are saying through their art that diversity is part of the human experience and these diverse human beings deserve just as much as white people to be represented in art.

If you are openminded, you should read the first volume of Jason Aaron's The Mighty Thor featuring a female Thor. It's amazing.
    Skoldier for life.

Quote Originally Posted by BreakerOfWills View Post
    By your definition tokenism is a "the practice of making only a perfunctory or symbolic effort to do a particular thing, especially by recruiting a small number of people from underrepresented groups in order to give the appearance of sexual or racial equality within a workforce."

So the issue is too small a number to give the "appearance" of equality. So clearly the answer is to get tons more diversity, so it's actual equality instead of the appearance of it. Therefore the only answer is way more diverse characters. Unless you want less diversity, in which case make that argument.
    Forced being the key word. Context is important. If you're making Thor a female just because you want to force diversity, you're making a token character.

I don't see anyone saying they hate women, minorities or homosexuals. Just lazy writing, tokenism and lack of belief in characters unless they have the Iron Man name to carry them.

Meanwhile, plenty of people eager to assume liking Tony Stark more=bigotry.
    How is it lazy writing, when changing the characters is nothing new for Marvel? It makes no sense to claim, "they are just doing this due to the recent diversity trend."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Its like people who argue for "State's Rights". Do you honestly and passionately believe in states rights? I understand the argument but why is it so often used by people who really just seem to be mad that the Federal Government won't let you be a shithead anymore.

Do you honestly and passionately believe that The Mighty Thor is poorly written? Or are you just thinking up reasons to shit on the comic because you hate that your Golden Boy lost his mallet to a girl? I really can't tell.
    I already outlined my dislike of the female Thor series. What do you want me to do? Explain it again? Or are you just fishing? Hoping that I lose my shit and go off on some racially charged diatribe about "the blacks" and "the womens" invading muh comic books. Keep fishing in that case because I don't need to use some reductive bullshit to explain why something is bad.

Also what the fuck does "State's Rights" have to do with anything? Especially since I'm not even American. Stay on point.

Here you go:

I'm surprised you didn't use everyone's favourite insult "SJW". I admire your restraint.
    That's not a criticism of the character, those are in the previous half dozen sentences. That's a criticism of idiot shills.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-08-19 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    How is it lazy writing, when changing the characters is nothing new for Marvel? It makes no sense to claim, "they are just doing this due to the recent diversity trend."
    A more important question: How does Marvel include more diversity without "forcing" it onto their readers? Why are some white people demanding that diversity be displayed only on their terms? "Oh you can have your diversity in your comics, but make sure that it follows THESE guidelines so that you're not forcing your diversity onto me kthx."
    Last edited by Freese; 2016-08-19 at 12:03 AM.
    Skoldier for life.

The fuckin' sad part is that the "Ultimate Edition" of BvS was actually not bad lol, it especially made a lot more shit make sense like the whole desert attack. Why was so much cut from the theatrical release?! Fuck.
    In my book, there are two ways to look at it.

1. Time constraints forced their hand. Which changes the question to "Who's bright idea to cut that and not shit like the guy talking about being unable to piss, the justice League teasers and like 40% of the media shit?"

2. They finally discovered how to make DLC for movies. Fuck them in the ass.

In my book, there are two ways to look at it.

1. Time constraints forced their hand. Which changes the question to "Who's bright idea to cut that and not shit like the guy talking about being unable to piss, the justice League teasers and like 40% of the media shit?"

2. The finally discovered to to make DLC for movies. Fuck them in the ass.
    I also want to know who was in charge of making all the meta human icons. Did Lexcorp shop that out or did someone in marketing come up with them?