Thread: 2016 MLB Thread

Page 65 of 83 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Stanton with another season-ending injury, that boy ain't got no luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Brett Anderson comes off the DL, McCarthy goes on, Anderson leaves game in 2nd inning with an injury...

Really happy the O's came back today. Early pitching wasn't good at all but the offense eventually came through and Britton closed it out as usual.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The best way to get out of a slump is to beat up on the Yankees.

Another homer for Syndergaard. I feel we are done, his last start was a 9-0 loss at home to Arizona, sitting at .500 for the year, this is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Hoping the O's can get a win tonight. Mookie killed us last night.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DayDayKnucks View Post
    Hoping the O's can get a win tonight. Mookie killed us last night.
    Doesn't look to be happening at this point. Which I am thankful for

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Doesn't look to be happening at this point. Which I am thankful for
    You guys got us this time around. This division is an awesome race right now.

Would be lovely if Alex actually comes to Miami to try and get the 700 HRs. Would give us few Marlins fans something to watch other than Stanton strike out at least twice per game, and Jose Fernandez being the clown that he is.

With half the team on the DL, this season is over. Prado is leaving after this season too, so just bring in A-rod to provide some entertainment.
    Last edited by Ulfric Trumpcloak; 2016-08-18 at 04:00 AM.

Stanton 480ft bombs though...

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, does anyone want to win the AL Cy Young?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    At this point it's probably J.A Happ who wins it, despite my Toronto bias, he is 17-3 so far. The case can be made that if Sanchez stays in the rotation for the Jays, he is an easy contender for the Cy Young award.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Should be Zach Britton, but it will be given to a starter.

Michael Fulmer has a case for the Cy Young, but he did not start the season in the majors and will likely not have enough wins to be in the conversation especially if he gets shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Michael Fulmer has a case for the Cy Young, but he did not start the season in the majors and will likely not have enough wins to be in the conversation especially if he gets shut down.
    He's going to have the same problem Britton will. He won't have nearly the same number of innings as the other guys (also doesn't help he got beat up pretty bad today).

Britton isn't even the most valuable pitcher on his own team, but I would guess if he goes the rest of the season without giving up another run he'll get it just from the narrative.

I wouldn't have a problem with Britton. I have 3 of the 4 save leaders and Mr. 105. So nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Britton isn't even the most valuable pitcher on his own team, but I would guess if he goes the rest of the season without giving up another run he'll get it just from the narrative.
    I would say he is the most valuable pitcher Baltimore has right now. 37 for 37 in save situations. 0.54 ERA in his last 50 innings and the MLB record for consecutive appearances without allowing an earned run. He is literally having one of the best relief seasons of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by DayDayKnucks View Post
    I would say he is the most valuable pitcher Baltimore has right now. 37 for 37 in save situations. 0.54 ERA in his last 50 innings and the MLB record for consecutive appearances without allowing an earned run. He is literally having one of the best relief seasons of all time.
    Well that's the problem comparing relievers to starters. Britton has only pitched 50 innings, and his ERA is a bit misleading since he gave up 3 "unearned" runs in that one game in June (he pitched terribly that game but because of the early error none of the runs were earned). And Britton isn't even close to having one of the best relief seasons of all time, if he makes it up to 3.4 WAR he'll only be in the top 70 since 1988 (at 3.1 now). Check out Mark Eichhorn in 1986, that's a ridiculous relief season.

Tillman has pitched 150 above average innings. Those extra 100 innings mean a lot. By the end of the season starters are going to be over 200 innings and Britton will be lucky to hit 60. You can pretty much remove 60 innings with a 0.54 era from any of the top starters still have an above average pitcher for those extra 140 innings.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm generally against relievers winning the Cy Young, but if no starter has a standout season and a reliever does, you start to consider it. Voters have gone away from giving too many votes to closers, they tend to finish ~5th in voting at best.

Realistically, it will be Porcello or Happ. Both will have a shot at winning 20 games, and be top 10 in WHIP and ERA. Only been 1 reliever to win it since 85, and that was when Eckersley got 51 saves. There are a number of guys that you can make an argument for, and at least the Cy Young voting is better than the joke that is Gold Gloves, so someone that actually deserves it will win it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Realistically, it will be Porcello or Happ. Both will have a shot at winning 20 games, and be top 10 in WHIP and ERA. Only been 1 reliever to win it since 85, and that was when Eckersley got 51 saves. There are a number of guys that you can make an argument for, and at least the Cy Young voting is better than the joke that is Gold Gloves, so someone that actually deserves it will win it.
    I'm assuming you're talking AL only. There's been a few more in the NL since 85: Bedrosian, Davis, and Gagne.