Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    At least during sporting events, people should pay attention and have some respect. The event goers that are still walking to their seats while it's going on are just silly, or talking during, or god forbid sitting the whole time.

It's like a minute or two of your time, grow up and just be civilized briefly -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    At least during sporting events, people should pay attention and have some respect. The event goers that are still walking to their seats while it's going on are just silly, or talking during, or god forbid sitting the whole time.

It's like a minute or two of your time, grow up and just be civilized briefly -_-
    I think, during sporting events, people should be focused on sports and not national jerking.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I think, during sporting events, people should be focused on sports and not national jerking.
    They don't randomly play the national anthem in the middle of the game lmao what are you even talking about have you ever watched a sporting event in your life?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    They don't randomly play the national anthem in the middle of the game lmao what are you even talking about have you ever watched a sporting event in your life?
    Hmm, in the Olympics it could happen all the time for a medal ceremony in the stadium. in Rio you are better prepared to stand a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    You country was dumb enough to ban it's own flag a few years ago in school so what?
    Huh?

I'm not sure where schools in the us say the pledge we never did it.
    Plenty of other Americans are claiming they did have to do it.
    That's flat out wrong they play the first and sixth stanza of the Wilhelmus at sporting events.
    Yes, the OS and other international events.
    But national ones? Never heard it.

Also, the reason they don't play it more often is it's 15 minutes long if sung in entirety.
    Well, thanks for that, sherlock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post

Just shows how far patriotism goes in some groups if you're expected to stand during an anthem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Honestly, no, aside from boxing, I've never watched sports. I do know however that sometimes before an event national anthems of both teams are played. Pretty silly, IMO, as well as teams in Olympics split into national teams - but, well, to each their own!
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    The National Anthem in Chicago is like this:

The rest of you guys can stand still and pretend you're at a funeral.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, no, aside from boxing, I've never watched sports. I do know however that sometimes before an event national anthems of both teams are played. Pretty silly, IMO, as well as teams in Olympics split into national teams - but, well, to each their own!
    Happens in Stanley Cup and other events all the time.

etiquette question: are you obligated to sing, when the person in question hired for singing stops ? well, Canada is not shy of singing their anthem, but the question begs an answer

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Then you are just unaware of it. You have Royal Protocol for when God Save the Queen is played. It's such a big deal they made a big fuss about it when Obama accidentally broke it not long ago. Here you go since you claim you weren't aware of it.
    We don't have laws in regards to the national anthem either and I'm not sure where you got that we do. I didn't have to pledge allegiance to anything either.
    Well here's the thing. I lived in England for 22 years, I've lived in the US for 2. I have heard the US anthem in 2 years probably 50 times more than I ever did in England. I've seen about more 500 US flags than I ever saw UK ones, (these are conservative estimates) and I've seen people pledge their allegiance, and read about it in meeting minutes, which I never saw (because we don't have one).

My point is, the US is very patriotic, moreso than what I would consider 'normal'. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, I quite like that people take pride in their country. I was always frustrated in England at the lack of 'pride' I was perceiving by people, (I had one friend who was basically embarrassed to be English) and the willingness to accommodate other cultures beyond what is reasonable, to the point of degrading our own. I don't see that happening here.

Perhaps you didn't have to do the pledge of allegiance, but my understanding is that's more common than not.

I realize there are no punishments for not following the protocol, but it is in "the law". It's not A law, but it's written down on a federal level as an official protocol code that people should follow.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post

Just shows how far patriotism goes in some groups if you're expected to stand during an anthem.
    It's just a sign of respect I guess that is a foreign concept to the Dutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    The National Anthem in Chicago is like this:

The rest of you guys can stand still and pretend you're at a funeral.
    Well by the looks of that scene, if anyone stood silent and still for more than 2 minutes they'd freeze to death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    "Normal" being unpatriotic, that's amusing. McCanada, Inc. presiding right here.

Of course besides Hockey there isn't too much for Canadians to be patriotic about in the first place, so I understand.
    Right my good man, we must enforce blind loyalty without thinking about it. Don't question it. Just do the needful without a second thought.

That's how it works, jawohl?

- - - Updated - - -

They both have the same origin: people's insecurity and desire to separate themselves from others for some petty reason. Patriotism is one of the reasons why there can't be peace on Earth at this point of civilization evolution.

Imagine if, instead of crappy "national interests", people talked about interests of humanity... If, instead of "national anthems", we had world anthems, composed by large multinational groups of people... But no, I guess I am a few centuries early with this narrative. :/
    You speak of great groups working towards greater good? Comrade May90, that will not get you far...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damajin View Post
    Good thing I do pull over for every emergency vehicle running their sirens, as do just about everyone I see on the road. I've seen people get shouted down from other drivers for not pulling over or worse, doing the slow creep and crawl drive while halfassing their pull over. It's honorary because you're giving way to the emergency vehicle and thus through small means helping to give more time to responders to address emergencies and save lives.

Definitely not but it is one facet in that gem for sure, honor and celebration are big parts of the whole thing that is patriotism.

You're confused as to what honourary means.

hon·or·ar·y
    Conferred as an honor, without the usual requirements or functions.

Pulling over for emergency vehicles is the law, it is a requirement, so it can't be honourary by definition.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    You speak of great groups working towards greater good? Comrade May90, that will not get you far...
    It doesn't have to be forced, as that, indeed, won't get us far. But it will happen naturally with time, I believe.

You know what I do? I remain seated with my hat on.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    You know what I do? I remain seated with my hat on.
    I wonder if you actually did that in a sports stadium, what the people around you would do...

10+ Year Old Account
    Yuropians just jelly of 'Merica.

Nothing more.

For real though what does it matter to you if someone is proud of their country?

If I had been born anywhere else other than the US I would have DIED as an infant. And if I had somehow miraculously survived I would have DIED multiple times over since then. And if I somehow miraculously survived that I would be confined to a bed until I died of some other disease.

But since I was born in the US I survived my disease, survived the crippling effects of it, and lived a pretty normal life up to now with basically full access to anything any other normal person would have had access to. What does my being proud of the US and loving this country for that have anything to do with you?

Deleted
    "Oh cool someone won something I guess"

They both have the same origin: people's insecurity and desire to separate themselves from others for some petty reason. Patriotism is one of the reasons why there can't be peace on Earth at this point of civilization evolution.

Imagine if, instead of crappy "national interests", people talked about interests of humanity... If, instead of "national anthems", we had world anthems, composed by large multinational groups of people... But no, I guess I am a few centuries early with this narrative. :/
    That you think patriotism and nationalism is rooted in insecurity shows how little you actually understand it.

The reasonings and desires to separate and distinguish individual nations are not petty nor are they the cause of the strife and conflict in the world today. That is more rightly laid at the feet of those multinational groups of people you think are so great who see nations as resources and commodities and want to extract national identity and cultural variance from the world in favor of a streamlined, LEAN style corporatesque efficiency. That's the world you're advocating for, countries ran like factories and warehouses. It's a utopian fantasy and has never and will never work. Human beings for as similar as they are want and desire differentiation, separation and variance that goes well beyond the cosmetic.

That you think that when people are talking about national interests they're NOT talking about interests of humanity shows how little you get this entire deal. Your multinational people are the ones who aren't ever talking about the interests of humanity unless it's to reference how humanity can best serve their interests. You want to take issue with people, take issue with those clowns and not those people most often salt of the earth Main Street types who want to preserve their national heritage, cultural values and ethnic history against the efforts of your multinational, borderless and valueless efficiency machines.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    Right my good man, we must enforce blind loyalty without thinking about it. Don't question it. Just do the needful without a second thought.

That's how it works, jawohl?

- - - Updated - - -

It's the furthest thing from blind loyalty, then again introspection and philosophical reflection aren't exactly a modern vogue.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    If I had been born anywhere else other than the US I would have DIED as an infant.
    I'm genuinely curious, what disease is there that could only be cured in the states, not in say, Canada or Germany or something?