Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Map of a potentially crowded Azeroth

We often hear the complaint that the Azeroth map is getting increasingly crowded -- that with the addition of Pandaria and the Broken Isles, there is little room left for the other lands that we know are out there, including the many islands of the South Seas, the various undersea regions of the Maelstrom, the islands comprising Greater Kul Tiras, and mysterious places like Galhara, Hasic, Balor, and the Dragon Isles.

But am I the only one who likes the idea of a crowded, compact Azeroth map? I love the idea of being able to explore every corner of Azeroth. I made a map (high quality version here) of what a potential version of Azeroth might look like, showing every island and zone that I've ever heard about in WoW. Please note that the islands are drawn rather large because, where possible, the map is using the physical size of the in-game zones as the scale (i.e. how long it takes to walk across the zone), not the scale from lore or the in-game maps. And the continents are drawn close together to highlight that a crowded world, with minimal wasted empty ocean, could be really fun.

Is anyone else excited about this possibility? Also, let me know if any areas are missing on the map that you think should be there!

Last edited by mitotic; 2016-08-23 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Updated to incorporate some of the suggestions below!

honestly I love the idea and that's a pretty good map. They can always "stretch" the map so it's a bit less crowded, just make the sea between Eeastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor bigger. They have never and I doubt they'll ever address "the other size of Azeroth", is there is anything between the Eastern Edge of the Eastern Kingdoms and the western edge of Kalimdor.
    SWTOR Friend Referral code: http://www.swtor.com/r/DzSdz8
    (You get free stuff, I get free stuff, win/win!)

Assuming there is some sort of equator as well, as in, the sun and climates... Then there could well be a lot more content to the south again, as another cold area. Pandaria is basically the equator at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Assuming there is some sort of equator as well, as in, the sun and climates... Then there could well be a lot more content to the south again, as another cold area. Pandaria is basically the equator at this point.
    Good point, climate-wise it seems like this is only the northern hemisphere. I just included the lands that are currently in lore in some form, but I'd love to see new lands either south of Pandaria or even on the "other side of Azeroth" as Poshadin said.

The crowdedness of this map makes it very easy to imagine the Kalimdor Pangea that existed before the Sundering. Any lands south of Pandaria or on the other side of Azeroth would probably not have been part of that original Pangea, I'd imagine.

Also to add, what is Dragonmolt Isle? I can't find anything on it.
    SWTOR Friend Referral code: http://www.swtor.com/r/DzSdz8
    (You get free stuff, I get free stuff, win/win!)

We were in Tol Barad and we didn't see Kultiras. Okay...

Quote Originally Posted by mitotic View Post
    Good point, climate-wise it seems like this is only the northern hemisphere. I just included the lands that are currently in lore in some form, but I'd love to see new lands either south of Pandaria or even on the "other side of Azeroth" as Poshadin said.

The crowdedness of this map makes it very easy to imagine the Kalimdor Pangea that existed before the Sundering. Any lands south of Pandaria or on the other side of Azeroth would probably not have been part of that original Pangea, I'd imagine.
    Didn't redshirt guy confirm that the land masses we see are only located in the northern hemisphere?
    Last edited by Spunt; 2016-08-20 at 08:29 PM.
    Sylvanas Windrunner For Warchief 2016!!
    #NoFlyNoSub, #NoFlyNoLegion, #NoFlyNoBuy, #BringBackFlight

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    We were in Tol Barad and we didn't see Kultiras. Okay...
    True, one complaint is that if the world is so crowded, then why wouldn't we have encountered many of these places earlier? That said, I'd rather have a crowded map then have huge stretches of ocean separating everywhere. Some would disagree of course.

The same complaint could be applied to many additions to the map, though. We took boats from Stormwind to the Howling Fjord, so why didn't we see the Broken Isles before? Azuremyst isle is pretty close to Darkshore -- why didn't we see that either before BC? They're great points, but as a player I guess I don't mind too much, as long as the end result is cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poshadin View Post
    Also to add, what is Dragonmolt Isle? I can't find anything on it.
    Poshadin, that's usually called the Dragon Isles, but that name seemed a bit too simplistic. It was in an early concept for the Eastern Kingdoms as a "level 65-70+ raid," and it can be seen in a few early planning maps. I think it could be a cool zone, and we could use something to fill in the empty space between Northrend and Sunwell Isle imo. But it's probably just scrapped for now.

7+ Year Old Account
    that map is just slapping the lore straight into its written face.

Formerly known as Arafal

Hmm maelstrom is somehow shrinking, same as big red spot on Jupiter.

Also dat Broken isles are almost big as nothrend.. I dont really like this chaging of lore and maps.. I liked Kul Tiras and some other isles being in baradin bay. I like smaller broken isles near big maelstrom etc.. If this trend will continue, there wont be any sea, there will be only land of new, unexplored continents, which were only hidden from us and they reappeared after cataclysm number 3.
    Last edited by Andromedes; 2016-08-20 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondray View Post
    Hmm maelstrom is somehow shrinking, same as big red spot on Jupiter.
    Haha yeah, every new addition does seem to shrink it further. Technically, Nazjatar, Gishan Caverns, Boiling Terrace, Mak'aru, etc. are underneath the Maelstrom. I just didn't want to draw the Maelstrom over all those zones, but you can imagine that the Maelstrom is so big that it covers them up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ondray View Post
    Also dat Broken isles are almost big as nothrend.. I dont really like this chaging of lore and maps.. I liked Kul Tiras and some other isles being in baradin bay. I like smaller broken isles near big maelstrom etc.. If this trend will continue, there wont be any sea, there will be only land of new, unexplored continents, which were only hidden from us and they reappeared after cataclysm number 3.
    I hear you totally, I too was uncomfortable with the Broken Isles being its own continent at first. But I guess we can't deny the fact that that's what Blizzard chose to do with Leigon -- the Broken Isles is indeed almost as big as Northrend now. And while it would be cool to have Kul Tiras, Tol Barad, etc. in Baradin Bay like they were in Warcraft 2, it doesn't seem possible given how small Baradin Bay is in game. It looks like Blizzard feels this way too, since they put Tol Barad SW of Gilneas, and Kul Tiras is generally known to be SW of Tol Barad.

Yeah and next to Baradin bay is Vash'jir.. i really have no idea how they can make a decent explanation.. Its more suspicious that we even didnt hear about Kul Tiras, even it should have connections with the Alliance.. It seems that blizzard just dont know how to put that island nation into the game and maybe they already missed the opportunity. It would be just ridiculoous if they just appeared as nothing happened.

Deleted

"Islas Perdidas" Means "Lost Islands". You tend to draw the islands a whole lot bigger than they are xD

You're right, the Lost Isles could probably be drawn smaller. The map is scaled according to the actual size of the zone in game, not the size in lore or on the game maps. It's my impression that the Lost Isles zone is roughly the same size as Azuremyst Isle -- perhaps slightly larger, since the entire east side of the Lost Isles is not accessible in game. But my impression could be off, for sure.

By the way, thanks for posting that map! I've actually never seen a WoW map in another language. I'm very curious now what the zones are called in Spanish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mitotic View Post
    You're right, the Lost Isles could probably be drawn smaller. The map is scaled according to the actual size of the zone in game, not the size in lore or on the game maps. It's my impression that the Lost Isles zone is roughly the same size as Azuremyst Isle -- perhaps slightly larger, since the entire east side of the Lost Isles is not accessible in game. But my impression could be off, for sure.

By the way, thanks for posting that map! I've actually never seen a WoW map in another language. I'm very curious now what the zones are called in Spanish.
    Oh, the translations are often quite literal, but sometimes they must be... imaginative xD
    The worst translation is the surnames of characters. Jaina Valiente awdjklnawlndawkld

Edit: Oh and btw, I think if all the isles were so crowded, Thrall would NOT have arrived to Kalimdor so easily, he would be from island to island the whole Warcraft 3 xD
    Last edited by mmoc8aff34db26; 2016-08-20 at 09:47 PM.

Don't forget about Darkmoon Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by craftyard View Post
    Don't forget about Darkmoon Isle.
    Yes, thank you for reminding me! I was taking a break from WoW when that came out. I updated the map in the original post.
    Last edited by mitotic; 2016-08-21 at 01:54 AM.

I'd something like this whould be added in the futurue, say that in that potential future, it whould be hella cool if you could start from say like Winterspring and fly east to howling fjord then south towards pandaria while taking a few detours around the Broken Isles and South Seas to then to end up in Stranglethorn Vale. All without loading screens. As if it was one cohesive world.

That looks quite cool though I would probably push the continents apart a little more, make some more ocean space.

Keep in mind that the in-game map is not necessarily an accurate map, it is a tool for use in the game, not something you can reliably use to tell distances
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

First time I've ever heard someone complain the map is too cluttered lol.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself