15+ Year Old Account
    Jesus fuck this thread is still going?

Go play Wildstar if you want the 'authentic vanilla experience', like they claimed they pulled off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Gonna quote a post from years ago which would hold true.
    Meanwhile, back in the real world, Nostalrius consistently and rapidly grew larger through its entire lifespan.

IF on Nost about 8 months after release: (click for larger image)
    There were far more players by the time it was shut down. And the even crazier thing is that EVERY SINGLE ZONE IN THE GAME had tons of players at all times, due to levelling taking longer and virtually every zone having some sort of valuable resource(s) to farm or gather.

Even levelling in classic wow was 10x more fun than ANYTHING was in WoD, and I expect even less from Legion.

edit: better one:
    Last edited by solarfallz; 2016-08-23 at 05:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post
    Meanwhile, back in the real world, Nostalrius consistently and rapidly grew larger through its entire lifespan.
    It's dead Jim.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling was painful as fuck. You think spending 90% of your time traveling afk on flight masters because one quest series sent you all over the world was fun? 4 hour quest line, 3 hours 30 spent on flight and boats was fun? It wasn't, it was boring as hell.

To point something out Nost people seem to love showing, the population on nost was ONE server. If Blizz did CRZ to every server, it would be same thing. Infact, due to the CRZ in pre-patch, ALL cities are full of life on retail.

It comes down to this. Blizzard owns World of Warcraft. World of Warcraft is an MMO. MMO's change. As MMO's progress, things change, its the very nature of an online game to change. Peoples tastes in games change. If you don't like the changes, and Blizzard don't wish to go back, then you move on. That's how life works. Now, you DO NOT have any rights to the game as it was when you bought it. Infact, you didn't buy World of Warcraft, you bought a licence to use an account which Blizzard owns. Since Blizzard owns the account, they can do whatever they want, and if you don't agree, you stop using the account. That's the 'contract' you have with Blizzard and World of Warcraft.
    The discs you bought are simply a medium of data transfer to allow you to use Blizzards software. You don't own anything on those discs, it says so right in the installer when you installed it, I know because I read it while installing the game way back then.

TLDR: Blizzard owns WoW, they owe you fuckall.

Nostalrius is dead. Vanilla is long gone. If you don't like the game anymore, unsub and move on with your life. Like Tommy said, Bliz doesn't own you a copper. And they have every right in the world to shut down Nostalrius due to copy-right. End of story.
    Last edited by HTowN; 2016-08-23 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post

IF on Nost about 8 months after release: (click for larger image)
    There were far more players by the time it was shut down. And the even crazier thing is that EVERY SINGLE ZONE IN THE GAME had tons of players at all times, due to levelling taking longer and virtually every zone having some sort of valuable resource(s) to farm or gather.

Even levelling in classic wow was 10x more fun than ANYTHING was in WoD, and I expect even less from Legion.

edit: better one:
    People love playing free stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by krishums View Post
    I bet Blizzard is talking very closely with their parent company activision on how the Call of Duty Infinite Warfare/COD4 remake bundle works. If it proves that remaking a 10 year old game helps with cod sales this year then I'm sure activision will push it down through blizzard and we have a solid chance of legacy servers, likely following a similar buy the current game + pay an additional fee for the legacy server bundle.
    Two very different genres. Remakes of older games have already been done in the gaming world. And if you want to pay extra for legacy thats fine...but I don't see 90% of Nost players sticking around paying for it.

To point something out Nost people seem to love showing, the population on nost was ONE server. If Blizz did CRZ to every server, it would be same thing. Infact, due to the CRZ in pre-patch, ALL cities are full of life on retail.
    Actually 1 Nost PVP server was 13.5K players, compared to Blizzards 4-5k. And they had PVE and PVP servers, so not sure what you mean. I imagine you simply don't know what you are talking about, as others likely think as well.

The players per server enhancement boggled Blizzard as well. Since Blizzard could not achieve this.

Page 44 on the Nostalrius Post-Mortem document submitted to Blizzard. (https://www.docdroid.net/flUbn6G/nos...ortem.pdf.html)

From the original Nostalrius page (https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44285)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HTowN View Post
    Nostalrius is dead. Vanilla is long gone. If you don't like the game anymore, unsub and move on with your life. Like Tommy said, Bliz doesn't own you a copper. And they have every right in the world to shut down Nostalrius due to copy-right. End of story.
    Don't you think that is a bad bussiness politics? Your goal is to reach the more posible people to sell your game...

And yes, they have ALL THE RIGHTS to shut down Nostalrius, that's true, most people here know that. What a lot of people is saying, is now that Blizzard close Nostalrius, maybe they can open his own Vanilla servers. That's all.

PD: Sorry about my english, is not my language

Nost fans are kinda living in their own dreams. I mean it's fine that you like vanilla WoW but some people are just downright delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Nost fans are kinda living in their own dreams. I mean it's fine that you like vanilla WoW but some people are just downright delusional.
    Yeah I enjoyed playing some Nost but some of these post are cringeworthy and borderline delusional.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    It was on main, so I came here to laugh, too. I especially enjoy the guy with the corny quotes ;D Do Paulo Coelho plz!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    Jesus fuck this thread is still going?

Go play Wildstar if you want the 'authentic vanilla experience', like they claimed they pulled off.
    No please, wildstar is nothing like wow vanilla.

Deleted
    The thing is...can Blizzard provide again his old WoW to bring back the old school players? That's the question. And for me, at the end of the day, all is about the money. If Blizzard see that bringing back WoW Vanilla as a new battlenet game is gonna provide money to theme, i'm sure one day, vanilla wow is coming back. And it's nothing bad to provide old games to your fans and explode that nostalgia factor. Every year there is new "remake HD" old games, really old franchises coming back after years, the streamers and youtubers playing old games and making people to play again those old games...it's ALL a big market.

So, if Blizzard one day, see that bringing back classic wow it's gonna be a commercial good idea, i'm totally sure that is gonna be a classic wow server.

The time is Blizzcon. 25 years of Blizzard, 12 years of WoW, 10 years of Blizzcon...it's the perfect time. And Blizzcon is a BIG stage to make this anouncement. Examples of old games coming back and being a huge impact in conventions...Final Fantasy VII...Shenmue...the market right now is living A LOT in this nostalgia factor...and Blizzard can explode that.

Personally, i will love to see coming back a classic server, and gladly i will pay 13€ (15$) sub to play and 20/30/40 € or $ to buy the game again. And like me, maybe other people are willing to do it.

And for people saying that this can divide the community...well, today retail community have no interest with classic wow, and classic wow community have no interest on retail wow of today...so...there are different community. Maybe like 10% of today community can enjoy old wow and can play, but also another 10/15 % of old school wow players enjoy to play retail wow, so...it's not gonna affect the community in any sense, i believe. Maybe i'm wrong, for sure.

Again, sorry about my bad english
    Last edited by mmocb8e5fd8d57; 2016-08-23 at 08:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Yeah I enjoyed playing some Nost but some of these post are cringeworthy and borderline delusional.
    Well, it's degraded into just one zealot on each side insulting the other over and over again. Somewhat like the "No Flying in X.X" thread.
    Last edited by Perkunas; 2016-08-23 at 09:57 AM.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Actually 1 Nost PVP server was 13.5K players, compared to Blizzards 4-5k. And they had PVE and PVP servers, so not sure what you mean. I imagine you simply don't know what you are talking about, as others likely think as well.

The players per server enhancement boggled Blizzard as well. Since Blizzard could not achieve this.

Page 44 on the Nostalrius Post-Mortem document submitted to Blizzard. (https://www.docdroid.net/flUbn6G/nos...ortem.pdf.html)

From the original Nostalrius page (https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44285)
    The amount per server has long since been irrelevant due to CRZ. I can play with everyone I know, no matter where their character may be stored. You will encounter quite some people 'out in the world' wherever you go due to the zoning between servers. The legion invasions are a good example of this, as there's usually dozens and dozens of people participating in the events at any given time. During peak hours, the servers are actually lagging out due to the amount of people in the same zone.

That said, I never really understood the attraction of private servers especially those with outdated content. Been there, done that. It was fun while it lasted, but so is the new stuff. the monthly sub has been rather irrelevant since the introduction since the stuff I do ingame pays for my tokens, and I'm a rather casual player since WoD. Would I have been playing more 'dedicated' like MoP and before, my sub would have been paid for by tokens for the next few years, basically making this free to play outside of expansions.

Leveling was painful as fuck. You think spending 90% of your time traveling afk on flight masters because one quest series sent you all over the world was fun? 4 hour quest line, 3 hours 30 spent on flight and boats was fun? It wasn't, it was boring as hell.
    Perspective. What's boring to you, might not be to others. Have you ever seen a table (or several) of DnD going at it? You might not find it fun or time well spent, but the game is still popular and thriving afte so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Laytnor View Post
    God dammit, I really, REALLY miss Nostalrius. I had way more fun there than I did in retail servers for years now. I will never forgive for taking this away from me.
    Yeah, how dare a company which makes billions of dollars of revenue a year protect its IP! How dare they uphold international copyright law! What a bunch of lunatics, they must be! Let's burn Blizzard at the stake! Grab your pitchforks, boys!

Oh, and while we're at it, let's completely forget they flew the developers of Nost half way across the fucking globe for free!

Deleted
    You are totally right. But, at the same time, if Blizzard gang Nostalrius, why they don't go after other private servers that runs today's version of the game, of servers that are running for years now and have even more people playing that Nostalrius?

That to me it's the problem. I'm ok with Blizzard closing Nostalrius, it's totally fine for me. But, at the same time, i see other servers alive, servers with cash shops, servers that make profit, servers with 6 years or more...and they are alive, and they are more famous than Nostalrius...

10+ Year Old Account
    I am incredibly surprised that this discussion is still going on.

Get over it, people. Blizzard had every right to defend their IP, and they did just that. End of discussion.

Deleted
    The discussion is about Legacy Servers also, not only Nostalrius.