Why guilds need raiding logs

I've been with same guild for 6 years now and have been playing wow pre Molten Core release.

I want to change my team for another team within same guild. My guild has many teams with different days/time schedule raiding.
    I am also new to worldofwarcraft logs.
    Finally I was able to upload combat logs from a pug of HFC (they did mount achieves) I just came to record my logs and of course in our pug we had mythically geared people who'd pull 110k dps (hunters) and I was in my 721ilvl as a boomy dong 38k to 52k on fights. The 38k was because either I'd focus on adds more or be asked to use mass roots on adds to get the achieve. Then I look at another applicant who's applying to the same team a DK who linked his logs and he's showing how he's rated top dps across like 10 fights.... then I look at my logs at some fights #3 on dps meter and #12 on other fights, and my logs look mediocre compared to that player.

Question : When a raid leader is looking at logs, is it important to see if the player is top ranked? Would you recruit someone who's maybe #12 on dps but spent 30% on adds dpsing them down vs someone who's #4 on dps and did 90% of dps on boss? What else do you look at logs? Damage taken? Deaths? Causes of deaths?

I am just very curious what do raid leaders look for when looking at worldofwarcraft logs? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magazz View Post
    I've been with same guild for 6 years now and have been playing wow pre Molten Core release.

I want to change my team for another team within same guild. My guild has many teams with different days/time schedule raiding.
    I am also new to worldofwarcraft logs.
    Finally I was able to upload combat logs from a pug of HFC (they did mount achieves) I just came to record my logs and of course in our pug we had mythically geared people who'd pull 110k dps (hunters) and I was in my 721ilvl as a boomy dong 38k to 52k on fights. The 38k was because either I'd focus on adds more or be asked to use mass roots on adds to get the achieve. Then I look at another applicant who's applying to the same team a DK who linked his logs and he's showing how he's rated top dps across like 10 fights.... then I look at my logs at some fights #3 on dps meter and #12 on other fights, and my logs look mediocre compared to that player.

Question : When a raid leader is looking at logs, is it important to see if the player is top ranked? Would you recruit someone who's maybe #12 on dps but spent 30% on adds dpsing them down vs someone who's #4 on dps and did 90% of dps on boss? What else do you look at logs? Damage taken? Deaths? Causes of deaths?

I am just very curious what do raid leaders look for when looking at worldofwarcraft logs? Thanks
    Usually if a Boomkin is focusing on adds, the dps should be HIGHER not LOWER.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overall position on the ranking within your own raid team is irrelevant, it's you compared to other balance druids from other raid teams. Having a high DPS raid will make your DPS seem a bit higher than usual, though, due to short fight length.

They're also looking at damage taken, deaths, if you switch to adds, etc.

It's very much up to the person looking to decide what they care about. I'll be honest, a lot of people are so stupid that they can hardly notice that the reason you're doing less dps is that you're 30 ilevels lower.

I generally check that candidates hit prio adds and don't die to mechanics and that their dps is in the ballpark where I feel it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    I generally check that candidates hit prio adds and don't die to mechanics and that their dps is in the ballpark where I feel it should be.
    This.

Plus for slightly more serious team - look at if the opener is 'correct' and then the rotation decent, and if you are doing any bitch jobs that class is suppose to do (like interrupts). And where you fall on avoidable damage.

Deleted
    As said, it depends on the person looking.

You can learn huge amounts about a player looking at logs, or you can learn essentially nothing - its entirely up to if the person who's looking knows how to look, and also knows how to see if it was you being bad, or other players causing you to take more damage and do lower dps (On fights with 5 yard spread mechanics, anything that requires stacking/Spreading your dps and damage can be severely increased by other players constantly forcing you to move. Which is easy to see if you replay a fight, but if you dont you're just gonna be left thinking someones an idiot)

While its annoying that you may be doing everything right, but where severely impacted by other players, and will then be refused entrance into a guild based on this thats eventually a good thing. It shows that the guildleaders are unable to read logs right, and means that they will make decisions, sit players and judge your performance based on misinformation. Which you dont want, and will save you hassle in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by magazz View Post
    When I was RL during BC and Wrath, I cared more about mechanics. If someone tunneled a boss and topped the charts, while another DPS was CC'ing adds or kiting but didn't die or cause any other deaths then I valued that more than pure DPS. Other RL may be different, but its not hard to sit on a boss and hit 4 or 5 buttons without using any brain power.

Not that kiting/killing adds is Rocket Science, but at least you are moving/doing something else and contributing.

As a GM / RL I use them to evaluate Player performance and Why People die in fights. It is invaluable at times to see what is going on.