Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is there any mount that requires a high personal skill to obtain?

In the age of lottery and/or boost runs, is there truly a mount or mounts who can only be obtained with a decent amount of personal player skill?

edit: I guess gladiator mounts can be in this category, alltho boosts also exists in these cases.

Also what if Proving grounds got redesigned to be quite closely balanced for all classes, and you get a unique mount for endless 30?
    Maybe also other personal instanced or world objectives where others cannot interfere with the result.

You do realize this is a mmo and not a solo player game right? So why would they have exclusive mounts encouraging solo play? Just to make you feel special? Go to any invasion even with the access ability of most mounts almost everyone on a different mount. Almost as if different people have different tastes. Who would of thought that right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Boosts exist for everything, so no. Especially once you start thinking of boosts against the ToS, such as account sharing.

The brawlers guild mount is all I can think of right now

Mount from Brawler's Guild? It's SOME personal skill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendlyimmolation View Post
    When an orc eats an orc, two orcs rip out of the orcs stomach, they eat each other and a brand new orc walks through the door, and then his chest explodes and 20 full grown orcs crawl out of his body. They then eat each other and the bodies until there are 3 orcs left. The mystery of the orc reproduction cycle.

There are no particular mounts that have prestige linked to them anymore. Maybe maybe maybe gladiator. But even that can be cheesed with high skilled buddies.

I'm often riding the amani war bear: http://www.wowhead.com/item=33809/amani-war-bear

1) unobtainable
    2) required skill and group effort
    3) easily identifiable as a veteran player

Walking around with Champion of Ulduar and flying with Plagued or Black protodrake.
    Wut wut wut in the mud

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    I'm often riding the amani war bear: http://www.wowhead.com/item=33809/amani-war-bear

1) unobtainable
    My guild was selling Warbear carry's. As were a ton of other guilds on my server. As I'm sure a ton of other guilds on other servers were.

Not sure that it required any skill either.

Soloing Arthas for Invincible mid cata was pretty rough

1) unobtainable
    Or for Gold , Me and my team sold HUNDREDS of these to players during that time and we were just 1 of many groups in the game selling the mounts. Id say that more of them that you see were purchased than the other way around at this point
    Last edited by Moozart; 2016-08-23 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    You do realize this is a mmo and not a solo player game right? So why would they have exclusive mounts encouraging solo play? Just to make you feel special? Go to any invasion even with the access ability of most mounts almost everyone on a different mount. Almost as if different people have different tastes. Who would of thought that right?
    Take a breather, guy was just asking a simple question. And it's not like the game hasn't been catering to solo players for years now, have you even been playing if you don't know this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Any of the pvp season mounts.

They are awarded to the top 0.1% of arena teams. Regardless of if you were in the top 0.1% in 2s, 3s, or 5s, they all take a lot of personal skill.

Yes there are some rare cases where players can buy carries to the top 0.1% for several hundred USD, but this probably happens so rarely that when I see a pvp mount I assume the player earned it (unlike some of the end raid-boss mounts where I typically assume they purchased a carry).

1) unobtainable
    4) I bought it for 3k

But I agree that there is hardly any mount ingame that cannot be bought. You can be boosted at pretty much everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    -Brawler's Guild mount
    All about personal skill.

-Ashhide Mushan Beast
    You get coins upon killing blows (at least, it used to be that way, maybe it's changed), so you need to be capable of predicting others' moves to score the kill 500 times.

-Winterspring Frostsaber
    Used to be all about personal dedication and endurance. May be a good start now because it's damn easy.

-Garn Nighthowl
    Coming up with a solo strategy can be difficult.

-Time-Lost Proto-Drake
    Patience is a skill.

Honorable mention, aka mount that USED to need a high personal skill:
    Bone-White Primal Raptor.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    350 mounts and the 2 that are the worst IMO are Sha of Anger and the love rocket.

I've logged over 6,300 attempts at Sha of Anger and over 1,700 attempts at the love rocket since launch.

But no, other than pvp mounts, there are no mounts that require a high personal skill to obtain. They all just require alts, more alts and even more alts to get more lockouts in per week to farm.

I think the last real personal high skill level required were the ToGC mounts and honestly that's the only mounts I think that were ever put in the game that required any sort of skill to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrel View Post

They are awarded to the top 0.1% of arena teams. Regardless of if you were in the top 0.1% in 2s, 3s, or 5s, they all take a lot of personal skill.

Yes there are some rare cases where players can buy carries to the top 0.1% for several hundred USD, but this probably happens so rarely that when I see a pvp mount I assume the player earned it (unlike some of the end raid-boss mounts where I typically assume they purchased a carry).

I see trade chat spam of carries for the pvp mounts usually earlier than the raid ones. Pvp carries happen as often if not more often than the raid carries. And carries have always been part of the game. So thinking that one has a special mount is quite foolish. Just get one you actually like.

Not sure if it's still the case, but defeating Captain Skyshatter [in a race] while grinding for the Netherwing Drakes was always a challenge for anyone but Druids.

10+ Year Old Account

1) unobtainable
    Could also use The Plagued Proto Drake as it falls under these too.

Deleted

1) unobtainable
    As others have said, this was one of the most sold mounts at the time. Even we in a more casual guild sold many of those.

Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    Soloing Arthas for Invincible mid cata was pretty rough
    It still required luck for it to drop. Because it can still be done, and is a really easy fight with level 100, it's available to everyone nowadays who has luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrel View Post

I'm under the impression that it's the other way around. Most Gladiator titles nowadays are boosted and sold. Most high-end PvE mounts are farmed for the own people in the guild. Just look at the kills of most of the guilds. Until they have many kills for all their members to have the mount, the content is at least already halfway through. So it's just higher end guilds who sell it, whereas the majority of guilds never get to that point, and keep farming it for their own members. [e] That's obviously only true for the limited dropmounts, not for something like the stag, which is available to everyone on the first kill.

But, due to nerfs and them still being available while doing old content, most PvE mounts don't require skill, but patience and luck. Just wait 1-2 addons and you can farm it alone in most cases. So I'd say the Gladiator mounts come closest to what is asked in the OP, as they're not available later on. But as said, I think many of those are sold in the more recent seasons.
    Last edited by mmoc48c29aaf6e; 2016-08-23 at 03:17 PM.