Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    So a cat 6 is more stiff, while a cat5 is more flexible then?

Why is holo on crack voting for WLAN? Although I know that a cable would be the most secure option two people said that at this distance WLAN wouldn't be so bad. Any more information or experiences about WLAn stability and throughtput?

I went to the attic today, but unfortunately it is no option. The cavity between floors is too wide making it difficult to put a cable there and I think its a ratsnest up there. No way I lay an important cable there only for something to sink its teeth in it.
    WLAN opens up its own huge problems including anything from interference with other wireless networks in the neighborhood (you have no clue when your neighbor is going change their settings or put up a new wireless), to interference with other electronics in your house. Even a crappy lamp or radio can interfere with wireless. Not only that, if there is a section of the house that has vertical wiring going floor to floor, it will almost completely kill wireless signals trying to pass through it.

Communication across a hard wired ethernet cable from point to point is less than 1 ms. Communication across a wireless link is anywhere from 10 ms to 400 ms depending on conditions. Add your wireless delays to whatever internet delays you have, and it will turn into a lag fest under the wrong conditions. Beyond that, it seems whenever someone hears you have wireless, everyone and their mom wants to jump onto it. Wireless communication uses "shared" channels, which a device will pause to let other devices communicate momentarily which will add even more to your ping during peak wireless times.
    /sig

Quote Originally Posted by Kelxin View Post
    WLAN opens up its own huge problems including anything from interference with other wireless networks in the neighborhood (you have no clue when your neighbor is going change their settings or put up a new wireless), to interference with other electronics in your house. Even a crappy lamp or radio can interfere with wireless. Not only that, if there is a section of the house that has vertical wiring going floor to floor, it will almost completely kill wireless signals trying to pass through it.

Communication across a hard wired ethernet cable from point to point is less than 1 ms. Communication across a wireless link is anywhere from 10 ms to 400 ms depending on conditions. Add your wireless delays to whatever internet delays you have, and it will turn into a lag fest under the wrong conditions. Beyond that, it seems whenever someone hears you have wireless, everyone and their mom wants to jump onto it. Wireless communication uses "shared" channels, which a device will pause to let other devices communicate momentarily which will add even more to your ping during peak wireless times.
    While all of this is true, 9 times out of 10, you won't have an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    While all of this is true, 9 times out of 10, you won't have an issue.
    It really depends on the wifi quality. I like routers with OpenWRT or DDWRT, cause I tend to get the most stable setup this way. Lately I lean on getting wifi Access Points, which means I only need a router/switch. Most wifi routers come with terrible wifi antennas. Even with all that goodness, I find myself with intermediate wifi because my neighbors have like 20 of them.