Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Soloing in Legion

Hi there. I'm returning to the game after sitting mists and warlords out. I don't have a lot of free time so I won't be committing to hardcore raiding. I really enjoy soloing content and old dungeons/raids and would like to know which classes are going to be good at it (other than DKs). I did test some classes on the PTR but it is kinda hard to really tell without the artifacts.
    So... According to what we know from the betas, which classes are gonna be strong soloers?
    Thanks and sorry for the grammar, not my first language.
    Last edited by ksaf; 2016-08-24 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ksaf View Post
    Hi there. I'm returning to the game after sitting mists and warlords out. I don't have a lot of free time so I won't be committing to hardcore raiding. I really enjo soloing and would like to know which classes are going to be good at it (other than DKs). I did test some classes on the PTR but it is kinda hard to really tell without the artifacts.
    So... According to what we know from the betas, which classes are gonna be strong soloers?
    Demon Hunters and Paladins (Prot maybe ret as well) will be strong at 110 even more so Veng Demon Hunters.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Hi there. I'm returning to the game after sitting mists and warlords out. I don't have a lot of free time so I won't be committing to hardcore raiding. I really enjo soloing and would like to know which classes are going to be good at it (other than DKs). I did test some classes on the PTR but it is kinda hard to really tell without the artifacts.
    What content are you looking to solo? I'd imagine all quest content that isn't group based will be soloed by any class/spec combo. Current Dungeons and Raids you'd have to rely on LFG/LFR and that's mainly going to depend on what group you end up with.

As for old content, I have yet to find a dps or tank class that isn't capable of soloing most content that would be soloable.

Some world quests aren't as soloable as you may think. The world quests to kill rares are often really group quests but are labeled as solo ones. Every time a rare is selected as a world quest, it gets a buff that increases its damage and health. I tried to do one world quest rare in Azsuna and had my ass handed to me at least 5 times. Even having two other players there didn't help. We just gave up. Pretty much any world quest that has you kill a single mob I'd be leery if it's really a solo quest even if it says so. There's a bear in Highmountain you have to kill for one world quest. The map says it's soloable. Issue is he sleeps in the same area a level 110 ettin wanders around ... and the guy ain't no pushover. He's the Fel Reaver of the area and his patrol path is really small. It's rather hard to avoid him. You might be able to kill the bear solo, but if you get the ettin on you and/or any harpies in the area, good luck.

Your best bet if you want to solo stuff is use a tank. That's been true in past expansions and is still true now. Otherwise, if you want to be there for 30 minutes, you can try a healer, but you'll spend more time healing yourself than doing damage.

Since mobs scale with your iLvL, even at max level, there won't be much of a difference when it comes to gear anymore. So just because you hit level 110 with like 780 iLvL gear and have a hard time soloing stuff doesn't mean once you get into 840 iLvL gear that you can solo things you had a hard time with originally. If a bear took you 10 seconds to kill as a fresh 100, it'll still take you 10 seconds to kill when you're in full mythic Nightmare gear. The only thing that might have some bearing on how fast you kill something is your artifact, but those will take you about 4 months to level ... for your first one.

Has anyone on Beta seen how viable soloing Mists content is at 110? Is it as trivial as Dragon Soul is now?
    And how far can you get in Warlords raids, for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Has anyone on Beta seen how viable soloing Mists content is at 110? Is it as trivial as Dragon Soul is now?
    And how far can you get in Warlords raids, for that matter?
    It won't be as trivial as Dragon Soul because MOP won't get the legacy buff. But it will be much easier to do thanks to gear and being higher level.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    It won't be as trivial as Dragon Soul because MOP won't get the legacy buff. But it will be much easier to do thanks to gear and being higher level.
    I figured it wouldn't be as easy but I was also sort of hoping for some more like, anecdotal evidence.
    I am aware that it will be easier because we are higher level, but I was looking for some kind of quantification of how much. Does it actually require effort and a class that can self heal, for instance, or can you do the whole thing without much of a thought?

I figured it wouldn't be as easy but I was also sort of hoping for some more like, anecdotal evidence.
    I am aware that it will be easier because we are higher level, but I was looking for some kind of quantification of how much. Does it actually require effort and a class that can self heal, for instance, or can you do the whole thing without much of a thought?
    You have me interested in this myself. I'm going to jump onto the beta & run Throne of Thunder on my 820 Warrior.

I'll report back once I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    You have me interested in this myself. I'm going to jump onto the beta & run Throne of Thunder on my 820 Warrior.

I'll report back once I'm done.
    Thank you! And godspeed.

Don't spread misinformation, mobs do not scale with your ILVL, only your character level, things get easier to kill as you get more gear, i have 4 860+ characters on beta.

Thanks for the answers so far. The content I'm talking about is dungeons and raids from warlords (well, hopefully) down.

Thank you! And godspeed.
    I know it's not much, but I just did upto Tortos (25N) on an 816 Protection Warrior.

Zzzzzzzz... Very doable without self healing, but the DPS is so low that I want to die inside. DPS specs will take down the bosses pretty damn quickly, but I wouldn't give them much hope in anything beyond MoP content until their iLvl is quite a bit higher.

Thanks for the answers so far. The content I'm talking about is dungeons and raids from warlords (well, hopefully) down.
    Well my Warrior on live (Prot/745 equipped) can solo a lot of Mythic dungeon content now, and I reckon I could solo HFC assault normal if not for the HP on the vehicles. Going to take a while for people to have the gear at 110 to do Mythic, though.

You should play a single-player game and not a MMO.

The answer is always: tank + self healing. So is blood DK, prot paladin and vengeance DH.

I would also say warlock/hunter but their pets are no longer that strong..
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

You can solo on majority. I'm casual so spend majority of my time either soloing PvE content or doing 5 mans. So i'll be focusing on soloing content and mythic 5mans in Legion. I normally pick a hybrid however... Rogue seems fantastic in Legion for all aspects of the game so I'm going to try it out.

Outlaw and/or Sub seem very good for soloing any sort of PvE content. Obviously tanks will be best (may go for Feral/Guardian as an alt) but theyre all so boring and after playing a tank for 4 years it's time to go for a pure. Rogue ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by guardian_titan View Post
    Since mobs scale with your iLvL, even at max level, there won't be much of a difference when it comes to gear anymore. So just because you hit level 110 with like 780 iLvL gear and have a hard time soloing stuff doesn't mean once you get into 840 iLvL gear that you can solo things you had a hard time with originally. If a bear took you 10 seconds to kill as a fresh 100, it'll still take you 10 seconds to kill when you're in full mythic Nightmare gear. The only thing that might have some bearing on how fast you kill something is your artifact, but those will take you about 4 months to level ... for your first one.
    Is this true? If so, First thing I've heard I'm bummed about in Legion. Where's the feeling of getting stronger if everything scales by your ilvl?

Quote Originally Posted by Deefame View Post
    Is this true? If so, First thing I've heard I'm bummed about in Legion. Where's the feeling of getting stronger if everything scales by your ilvl?
    Mobs don't scale with your ilvl, it just scales with your normal level. So if your level 109 everything else (besides world bosses) are 109.

I agree with the tank + self healing philosopher. But i'm gonna add in WW monk, which many over look. Good damage. they also have good passive self heal in first talent tear, great active self heal in 5th talent row, no downtime due to healing spheres, great aoe for trash, and have mobility off the charts to get around with ease.
    Last edited by beanman12345; 2016-08-24 at 10:16 AM.

for MoP ~Heroic raids:

tier 1 - Blood DK, Veng DH
    tier 1.5 - both Prots ? Guardian ?
    tier 1.5/2 - some DPS specs with self-heal/sustain/pets (BM Hunter for sure here ? who else .. Ferals ? WW ? Ret maybe ?)

would that be correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    for MoP ~Heroic raids:

tier 1 - Blood DK, Veng DH
    tier 1.5 - both Prots ? Guardian ?
    tier 1.5/2 - some DPS specs with self-heal/sustain/pets (BM Hunter for sure here ? who else .. Ferals ? WW ? Ret maybe ?)

would that be correct ?
    warlocks are insane in terms of self healing. Have not tried soloing old content, but it looks like pet is not even a requirement. Lock face tanking seems to be back in Legion in full strength (not that it went anywhere actually). BM hunters are not even anywhere close to that. Unless something 2-3 shots you, you are likely to be healing that damage without major issues. And somehow I doubt that any heroic MoP raid is going to give that kind of damage on a 110 character.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2016-08-24 at 01:50 PM.