Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    My problem with Blizzard's representation of the map is the difference in scale. I imagine that in the lore, Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms, and even Northrend to an extent, are much larger than Pandaria and now the Broken Isles, but for gameplay reasons Pandaria and the Broken Isles seem much larger.

Quote Originally Posted by InDecisive View Post
    You should expect Kezan and Zandalar, if not more, to be retconned to be large enough to support an expansion of their own.
    Both of those are gone....

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Chronicle is written omnisciently in all aspects of the universe we're in. Therefore anything there is in fact what is there.
    Yes, and anything that isn't there will by technicality be there in the future. As we know, just because it isn't there it doesn't mean that it never will be. Blizzard's maps go on what's current, obviously. It's stupid to think that no further additions will be added, bc that's never how it's worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Owenm View Post
    Yes, and anything that isn't there will by technicality be there in the future. As we know, just because it isn't there it doesn't mean that it never will be. Blizzard's maps go on what's current, obviously. It's stupid to think that no further additions will be added, bc that's never how it's worked.
    Yes but basically what they've done by making Chronicle this way is that if it is not on the map there, it has to be created in the current timeline.

Both of those are gone....
    They both have been damaged, to be sure, but I don't think we've ever been told that they have sunken into the sea. The north side of Kezan was evacuated recently and is likely covered with some lava or molten rock, but I'd imagine the island, some wildlife, and some non-Bligewater goblins may still be there.

We learned very little about the fate of Zandalar. In the daily quest Mimic Octopus, Nat Pagle says, "A buddy of mine caught one of these off the coast of Zandalar a few years back. He barely made it back alive, actually. Pesky trolls, but great fishing!" A few years back probably refers to before the cataclysm.

On the Isle of Reckoning, Prophet Khar'zul says, "We NEED dis land! Da cataclysm destroyed our home!" So Zandalar is destroyed in some way, like Darkshore and the Barrens were for instance, but not necessarily sunk.

In the quest Decisive Action, Taoshi mentions that the Zandalari bolster Lei Shen's army with war beasts and troops from Zandalar, suggesting that there may still be a living presence on Zandalar.

Quote Originally Posted by mitotic View Post
    They both have been damaged, to be sure, but I don't think we've ever been told that they have sunken into the sea. The north side of Kezan was evacuated recently and is likely covered with some lava or molten rock, but I'd imagine the island, some wildlife, and some non-Bligewater goblins may still be there.

We learned very little about the fate of Zandalar. In the daily quest Mimic Octopus, Nat Pagle says, "A buddy of mine caught one of these off the coast of Zandalar a few years back. He barely made it back alive, actually. Pesky trolls, but great fishing!" A few years back probably refers to before the cataclysm.

On the Isle of Reckoning, Prophet Khar'zul says, "We NEED dis land! Da cataclysm destroyed our home!" So Zandalar is destroyed in some way, like Darkshore and the Barrens were for instance, but not necessarily sunk.

In the quest Decisive Action, Taoshi mentions that the Zandalari bolster Lei Shen's army with war beasts and troops from Zandalar, suggesting that there may still be a living presence on Zandalar.
    The entire reason the Zandalari were helping Lei Shen was a last ditch effort to not die out. It was mentioned to death in MoP. The island was almost gone and they had no other options but to bring back Lei Shen.

Deleted
    Nice map !

I think you can remove Thal'Dranath, as it was confirmed in the audiobook that came out recently that Thal'Dranath is the Broken Shore.
    By the way, Lapidis is north of Gillijim, not on the other side of Stranglethorn
    Zandalar is being described as mostly destroyed, so I think it shouldn't be as big as it is.
    Wasn't Kezan mostly destroyed by Deathwing too ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Owenm View Post
    There were isles mentioned and referred to that aren’t shown on the Chronicles map. Some of them may have been referred to in the South Sea, some in the Great Sea. However the source mentioning them was the RPG, which is not canon.
    Some of them may exist, some of them may not (when the RPG is the only source mentioning them), however because they are not on the Chronicles map, they won’t be added in that region, they may come somewhere in the Veiled Sea or the Forbidding Sea.

The majority of isles named on the front are isles known prior to Cataclysm. They are not in the chronicles map thus they won’t be added between west EK and east Kalimdor.

If Azeroth was tidally locked and Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, Northrend was on the strip of decent climate, the planet would be extremely huge, like bigger than a star probably.

Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    Nice map !

I think you can remove Thal'Dranath, as it was confirmed in the audiobook that came out recently that Thal'Dranath is the Broken Shore.
    By the way, Lapidis is north of Gillijim, not on the other side of Stranglethorn
    Zandalar is being described as mostly destroyed, so I think it shouldn't be as big as it is.
    Wasn't Kezan mostly destroyed by Deathwing too ?
    Oh cool, I hadn't realized about Thal'Dranath. Thanks!

And yeah, I would have put Lapidis north of Gillijim, but the Vile Reef is there. And I couldn't shift Gillijim south, since the Timeless Isle is there. I'll just move the Timeless Isle a bit to make room, I suppose.

The entire reason the Zandalari were helping Lei Shen was a last ditch effort to not die out. It was mentioned to death in MoP. The island was almost gone and they had no other options but to bring back Lei Shen.
    And the whole reason Goblins are all over Azshara is because they have nowhere else to go. If Kezan was habitable, Gallywiz would be living there in his palace, not some beach the Horde let them squat on. Hell, the only reason goblins are IN the Horde is their home was destroyed. Undermine, we have no idea, but as there's no global disruption of trade, one can assume that the Trade Princes are still there, working away. (Blizzard hasn't mentioned this at all, it's pure speculation)

Granted, Metzen/Kosak can change that with a stroke of a pen, but that's the lore as I understand it.

Kezan was destroyed? Like what? Sunk?

And why wouldn't Galliwix stay in the Horde? He's got probably the best mantion in the game and he's a leader who gets away with mostly anything. And by the way, he should get his own model.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mitotic View Post
    That's a really interesting point. Yes, I suppose Azeroth could orbit its sun in such a way that the point closest to the sun at any given time is always the same point. Then that point would be the warmest point on the planet (call it the south pole), and the point directly opposite the globe would be the coldest (call it the north pole). But in this case, only one of the poles would be cold, and the other one would be hot. Maybe this is possible?
    Why does Azeroth have to orbit a sun? Nothing in Warcraft has told us about orbits. Perhaps Azeroth simply sits in the Twisting Nether?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post
    Why does Azeroth have to orbit a sun? Nothing in Warcraft has told us about orbits. Perhaps Azeroth simply sits in the Twisting Nether?
    That's also possible, I suppose. Though gravity definitely is a thing in the Warcraft universe, so if the sun is sufficiently large I'd imagine that Azeroth would tend to orbit around it. (Or else be drawn towards the sun, but since the sun doesn't seem to be getting any larger in the sky that's probably not the case.)

But perhaps gravity works differently in the Warcraft universe!

Quote Originally Posted by Evilfish View Post
    Kezan was destroyed? Like what? Sunk?

And why wouldn't Galliwix stay in the Horde? He's got probably the best mantion in the game and he's a leader who gets away with mostly anything. And by the way, he should get his own model.
    Go play a Goblin, in the starter zone. Kezan is basically one big volcano, which erupted when Deathwing came out of his hidey hole. That's why the goblins end up in Azshara, they get rescued by Thrall, and given a home there. I didn't say they shouldnt be in the Horde, the story of how they went from being neutral to a Horde race is because of the Catacylsm.

And yes, he should have his own model, but like gnomes, Blizzard has ignored them ever since.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyux View Post

Gravity...how does it work?

Also, it's kind of hard to have night and day without orbiting a sun. The Nether has no light source like a sun - or at least we don't know, because nobody has ever been there and returned, in the game. Also, if Azeroth was in the Nether, it would be established in lore - go read the Chronicles. Azeroth is pretty obviously not in the Nether.
    Last edited by Gadzooks; 2016-08-25 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Go play a Goblin, in the starter zone. Kezan is basically one big volcano, which erupted when Deathwing came out of his hidey hole. That's why the goblins end up in Azshara, they get rescued by Thrall, and given a home there. I didn't say they shouldnt be in the Horde, the story of how they went from being neutral to a Horde race is because of the Catacylsm.

And yes, he should have his own model, but like gnomes, Blizzard has ignored them ever since.
    I did. I have a lvl 100 gob hunter which I really love, but I've never seen the island destroyed. But I suppose it does not matter much, they already have a pretty nice area in Azshara. Give it some time and it will look like Kezan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Gravity...how does it work?

Also, it's kind of hard to have night and day without orbiting a sun. The Nether has no light source like a sun - or at least we don't know, because nobody has ever been there and returned, in the game. Also, if Azeroth was in the Nether, it would be established in lore - go read the Chronicles. Azeroth is pretty obviously not in the Nether.
    We're in a Fantasy setting, weird and unrealistic cosmological models are par for the course.
    Look at Discworld, or the bizarre seasons of A Song of Ice and Fire.
    The Sun might actually be quite a small object orbiting the planet. We don't even know that Azeroth is necessarily a globe, despite the Titans' decorative ones.

You're right that it isn't in the nether, but we've still never seen a picture of Azeroth's solar configuration.
    It could just be on a bigger version of the wandering Isle

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Assuming there is some sort of equator as well, as in, the sun and climates... Then there could well be a lot more content to the south again, as another cold area. Pandaria is basically the equator at this point.
    Also I heard from somewhere, cant remember where from, but apparently Azeroth map only shows one side of the planet, the other side is just ocean, so plenty of space to " discover " new lands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistedelmo View Post
    There was a posting back a few years ago about the blank space on the opposite side of the globe found here.

Your map lacks back clutter!
    Also they are both seas
    Forbidding Sea and Lost Sea....

What is the definition of a sea?
    "A sea is a large body of salt water that is surrounded in whole or in part by land"

So, if we have 2 SEPARATE sea's
    there must be more land mass on the opposite side.

In a world where magic exists, they can't say that people don't know all the landmasses on the planet.

Deleted
    Just remove the god damn portals. I dislike them so much. Let me take a boat or zeppelin. I loved that about vanilla, and I enjoyed when Wotlk brought it back for the first few levels. With portals you often forget where everything is in the world.