Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

EpiPen 400% Price Hike - CEO received 671% raise.

Do you think she will buy the WuTang album from Shkreli?

I thought the price hike was due to the fact its become scarce because of the Allerject recall?
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    scarce?
    ....wut?

tenners
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

All pharmaceutical companies do this Martin Shkreli just did it too obviously and got a bad rap for it. In the United States pharmaceutical companies can charge you whatever they want for no reason whatsoever and politicians from both sides are paid to look the other way. They will hold a kabuki theater hearing until the press / public forgets and nothing will be done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    ....wut?

tenners
    http://www.citynews.ca/2015/10/29/ep...ucts-recalled/

There has been a shortage of Epi pens for over a year now

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea I was reading somewhere that a two pack went from $50 to $700...lol. Greed. Isn't her daddy a senator? Another company who works out of Pittsburgh but is officially "stationed" in the Netherlands to avoid taxes. Just rape the public. Meanwhile there's no competition because the FDA shuts down anything that even comes close.

The worst part is insurance companies can force you to change your medication to a generic to save them $$. Prior authorization forms are required for mine and they only last a year. Insurance can then say no and make you switch to a generic or similar type of medicine that is on their preferred list (saves them $$)

Deleted
    I thought the price hike was due to the fact its become scarce because of the Allerject recall?
    Yeah so they raise the price, because they can. It's scummy as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaede View Post
    Yea I was reading somewhere that a two pack went from $50 to $700...lol. Greed. Isn't her daddy a senator? Another company who works out of Pittsburgh but is officially "stationed" in the Netherlands to avoid taxes. Just rape the public. Meanwhile there's no competition because the FDA shuts down anything that even comes close.
    Yep its criminal. Doesnt help that today more and more people have severe allergies then they used too. Especially kids . Tree nuts are a weapon of Mass destruction

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there is potential opportunity here.

Some country should just manufacture ALL of the life saving drugs as generic and resell them too everyone around the world for cheap. Fuck patents and laws I say we just do it. If someone trys too stop you, claim self defense and shoot them. How is taking your life saving medication away from you Not attempted murder?

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Yeah so they raise the price, because they can. It's scummy as fuck.
    I agree, but I understand a price hike due to a shortage, problem is its never a temporary hike, once the price goes up it rarely ever comes back down

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post

Some country should just manufacture ALL of the life saving drugs as generic and resell them too everyone around the world for cheap. Think off all the money. Fuck patents and laws I say we just do it. If someone trys too stop you, claim self defense and shoot them. How is taking your life saving medication away from you Not attempted murder?
    LOL good luck tryin to get them into the USA and who will oversee the quality controls?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelin View Post
    The worst part is insurance companies can force you to change your medication to a generic to save them $$. Prior authorization forms are required for mine and they only last a year. Insurance can then say no and make you switch to a generic or similar type of medicine that is on their preferred list (saves them $$)
    Not here. Though I don't live in the US, but in the dreaded Sweden.
    Nobody but me gets a say in which brand of medication I buy. Insurance doesn't have shit to do with it either.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, but I understand a price hike due to a shortage, problem is its never a temporary hike, once the price goes up it rarely ever comes back down

- - - Updated - - -

LOL good luck tryin to get them into the USA and who will oversee the quality controls?
    It's not a price hike due to shortage. It's a price hike because they see a shortage and take advantage of it by setting higher prices, because people can't say no to their new prices because they need their damned epipen.

Makes me glad that I still have mine from last year and haven't had to use it since I was in Kindergarden. Being allergic to bees/mold/penicillin blows, but thankfully it's be easily avoidable. I'm still waiting for the day that one lands in my drink and I don't notice (saw it on videos in Health class lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Not here. Though I don't live in the US, but in the dreaded Sweden.
    Nobody but me gets a say in which brand of medication I buy. Insurance doesn't have shit to do with it either.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a price hike due to shortage. It's a price hike because they see a shortage and take advantage of it by setting higher prices, because people can't say no to their new prices because they need their damned epipen.
    count yourself lucky. Insurance companies have a preferred drug list which means they've got deals with the manufacturer so they save $$. So when you try to get a different prescription not on that list they have to spend more $. I haven't been denied yet but that doesn't mean they won't try it eventually. It just pisses me off they can legally make you experiment with different drugs which while similar may have a different active ingredient.

Deleted

Some country should just manufacture ALL of the life saving drugs as generic and resell them too everyone around the world for cheap. Fuck patents and laws I say we just do it. If someone trys too stop you, claim self defense and shoot them. How is taking your life saving medication away from you Not attempted murder?
    And people say that capitalism isn't anti-democratic. This is exactly why you need regulations and transparency, because some companies left to their own devices will at some point notice they can get away with doing shit like this.

10+ Year Old Account

I honestly wish this was a possibility. These types of patents create clear monopolies and while I firmly believe people who invent these drugs are fully deserving of making their nut, they shouldn't be able to hold complete control of the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    If narcotics can make there way into the US, i don't see how generic epipens and other medications can't. Hell I use too buy prescription contacts from canada because they are a fraction of the price and I don't have too get my eyes dilated. I assume that is illegal too?

Just saying, there is a huge market out there and I would support it. Yes quality will not be as good as the named brands at the start. I think this is the best solution too the expensive medication dilema. Steal the recipe and resell them like the chinese.

If narcotics can make there way into the US, i don't see how generic epipens and other medications can't. Hell I use too buy prescription contacts from canada because they are a fraction of the price and I don't have too get my eyes dilated. I assume that is illegal too?

Just saying, there is a huge market out there and I would support it. Yes quality will not be as good as the named brands at the start.
    And that lack of quality for something like a epi pen can cause many deaths, big difference between contacts or antibiotics and a Life saving device. No thanks would rather not take my chances with knock off drugs made in China

10+ Year Old Account
    If narcotics can make there way into the US, i don't see how generic epipens and other medications can't.
    Because one effects corporate profits.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Yep its criminal. Doesnt help that today more and more people have severe allergies then they used too. Especially kids . Tree nuts are a weapon of Mass destruction
    And that's because parents are too damn afraid to let their kids be kids. It's been proven that delayed exposure to common allergens actually increases the likelihood of an allergic reaction.

Back when my brother and I were kids, our parents didn't worry about all this allergy BS. If we could swallow soft food then we were ready for peanut butter any other other common allergen inducing foods. We went outside to play, got dirty, scraped our knees etc. Kids aren't meant to live in a bubble and by keeping them away from the world you're just causing the immune system to overreact to things they will inevitably come in contact with.

My son (now 4) had a pretty major reaction the first time he came in contact with my inlaws cats. But we didn't stop visiting them. He was 2 before he first went to their house since we had moved far away shortly after he was born. So his body overreacted to the initial exposure. Several visits later and he's fine around cats now. That's not always the case but more often than not, allergic reactions are due to the above reasons.

The increase in allergies is directly linked to the increase in parental stupidity. Kids are sterilized constantly with anti bacterial crap, aren't offered any sort of "dangerous" food until much later in life if at all and never go outside to just play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.