Thread: Ben-Hur Remake

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Well, it is a huge flop.

And no one is surprised.

Impossible to improve on the original, anyway. One of the classics of cinema.
    The "original" was a remake. Actually, the third remake.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Heard it wasn't terrible but went and saw War Dogs instead

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    The "original" was a remake. Actually, the third remake.
    The "original" is considered one of the greatest movies of all times. WHY THE FUCK would you want to remake that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelorra View Post
    The "original" is considered one of the greatest movies of all times. WHY THE FUCK would you want to remake that?
    They call Titanic great but I would love to see a version without a shitty romantic subplot. Remakes have their purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    They call Titanic great but I would love to see a version without a shitty romantic subplot. Remakes have their purpose.
    There are tons of them, they all suck ass. If you only want to see the actual tragedy, watch a documentary...

7+ Year Old Account
    The original told a story, a great story. A remake, today? It'll be all about special effects : how cool can we make the chariot race or the sea battle, etc. The story in a remake, at best, will be a secondary concern. As such, it'll suck.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    The original told a story, a great story. A remake, today? It'll be all about special effects : how cool can we make the chariot race or the sea battle, etc. The story in a remake, at best, will be a secondary concern. As such, it'll suck.
    This newest version is not at all salacious actually. It's surprisingly talky and sober. The ads are misleading as to the tone of the 2016 version.

I think the marketing for this movie was a disaster.

hard to top charleton heston. i liked the original a lot, may go see it. the lead seems pretty mediocre from the previews, which is unfortunate.

I think someone like brad pitt would have been a better fit, he's got acting chops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This newest version is not at all salacious actually. It's surprisingly talky and sober. The ads are misleading as to the tone of the 2016 version.

Like Cleopatra, which was not so bad. Maybe it will be the last peplum for a while. Too bad, because I kinda like the genre. Especially when it tries to remain faithful to the historical context, unlike 300. Unless it's mythological, then yes, be mythological, do not try to turn this into a "realistic" historical movie, like Troy.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post

Here's my question: are they going to leave in the ending where Ben-Hur takes his leprosy-stricken family to see Jesus dying on the cross, and they are miraculously healed? In today's secular and highly PC atmosphere, I highly doubt it.
    Is it gonna be called Ben Hurr-Durr?

You've won Judah. The race won. The enemy destroyed!
    I see no ENEMY.
    What do you think you see? The smashed body of a wretched ANIMAL!?!
    YUP!

10+ Year Old Account
    Because they weren't remaking the 1959 movie. According to the director, this is a book remake, as the 1959 movie diverged in several places from the book. Which was the original. The book was the original, not the movie with Charlton Heston.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

I thought Grace Randolph's review was pretty decent:

She touches on the marketing of the film being somewhat misleading and the studio not backing the film confidently.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Because they weren't remaking the 1959 movie. According to the director, this is a book remake, as the 1959 movie diverged in several places from the book. Which was the original. The book was the original, not the movie with Charlton Heston.
    You do realize that it doesn't matter at all what the fuck is in the "original book"? There's a movie called Ben-Hur, which is considered one of the best movies ever, you DO NOT make another movie about the same shit, even if it's "closer to the book". Or you flop. 100 million budget and 11 million opening. What a great business opportunity! So this movie will remain in history as one of the greatest flops of 2016, god job, producers lol

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that it doesn't matter at all what the fuck is in the "original book"? There's a movie called Ben-Hur, which is considered one of the best movies ever, you DO NOT make another movie about the same shit, even if it's "closer to the book". Or you flop. 100 million budget and 11 million opening. What a great business opportunity! So this movie will remain in history as one of the greatest flops of 2016, god job, producers lol
    You're so salty about other people's money!
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Not exactly. I'm salty about the fact that in several years all we will able to see is shitty remakes and reboots that nobody wanted... It's a good thing though that people shit on them and send them to the bottom of box office, maybe we still have a chance.

From a industry point of view, remakes and reboots are pretty safe bets. Taking a chance on a new property is often far more costly. A those can flop too.

At least with a remake or reboot a basic idea for the film doesn't require additional development and can leverage familiarity with a portion of the audience.

Why do people think you can't remake Ben-Hur? Controversial opinion here but the 1959 version is a 4 hour snoozefest where Heston looks constipated the entire time with boring characters, boring dialogue and meh acting. I have to watch it at least once a week with my Grandad, it's fucking awful.

The one positive is that it's not nearly as terrible as El Cid. That's how I get through it, I tell my self "boy oh boy this could be worse, we could be watching El Cid!".

10+ Year Old Account
    I am glad to see all these remakes flopping hard, maybe Hollywood might get the idea to form some sort of originality rather than covering perfect bases that didn't need top be covered to begin with. Ghostbusters, Tarzan and now Ben Hurr.

It's got to a point where after BFG and PEte's Dragon I am boycotting all remakes, they have all been absolutely terrible, especially this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Another odd thing this year has been bad marketing, movies made to look nothing like how they are :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2016-08-24 at 05:45 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    This seems so bad I probably will opt out of even torrenting it, for fear it will defile me harddrive with its presence...I can hear the original crying out "Nooo! don't put it here!!!"