Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Lots of miss information.

Doing this for a living, let me try and add some facts from experience. Some of these not necessarily addressed in this thread.

1. Attacks are usually on customers, not the providers. I've seen the language, such as "our provider is being attacked". This is 9 times out of 10, not the case. No win in attacking a large provider, the backbone links are typically enormous...100GB up to 1TB.

2. Providers are nothing more then "shippers" of data, packets in, packets out. It's up do the customer to protect there network...but it's not always that easy.

3. All Tier 1 providers sell DDOS services, and they are expensive because of what it entails. Essentially, detect the attack, redirect the traffic to "cleaners", then send to customer cleaned (google arbor).

4. I don't know why blizzard wouldn't be subscribing to the providers scrubbers, could be it's to expensive, or possibly the extra latency added could affect performance (i doubt this but i honostly don't know).

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    NoScript is your best friend to prevent picking up malware from the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Very interesting read, also to the OP.

Couple questions, is there really any way to prevent malware from infecting your device? Is malwarebytes a good enough application to run regularly to check for malware on your system and remove it? I'm smart enough to know not to click on any suspicious emails or links, but I would think during the normal course of browsing and such something might get through.

Any good recommendations to PC protection? I use the normal Windows Firewall / Security, but have you found something to be more effective?

I just wouldn't want my PC or any of my mobile devices contributing to the problem.
    There is no foolproof software tool to prevent or detect it.
    And it isn't always the fault of the user, as there can be malicious content hidden in the likes of advertisements.
    MalwareBytes is certainly one of the ones with a better reputation.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by darklogrus View Post
    How come every time theres a problem on Blizzy's end it's automatically a DDoS attack.
    Because they are actually getting DDoS'd.......................

Stop being dumb and blaming Blizz for everything because you can't play WoW for 20 minutes.