Deleted

Looking for help, Overclocking FX-8350

Hello there.

I've been wanting to overclock my FX-8350 as it basicly just runs at 35-45C at all times, and i feel i could get a slight dps increase in wow by overclocking it from 4Ghz to 4.4Ghz.

I've read that software overclocking is bad, but i've read a few posts and guides to overclocking in bios, and for some reason i just can't seem to get it working. every time i try and change something it pops up with some text before windows loading screen where it tells me some stuff, and that windows failed to load a few times, it tells me i can either press f2, del etc to enter bios etc, or i can wait for 10 seconds and it will boot on default UEFI.

So i hope someone here has experience with this kind of thing and can offer me some insight on what to do.

PSU: Corsair CM750
    CPU: AMD FX-8350
    GPU is a 7850 1Gig AMD Sapphire.. (...ikr )
    MOBO: Asrock 990fx extreme 3.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated greatly.
    Cheers.

Progress:
    Stable 4.3Ghz using only voltage increase and multiplier, I for some reason can't change bus speed in bios, when i change it nothing happens, like at all, everything stays the same, i even tried going from the stock 195 to 300, still 3 different softwares all said the same, 195. However if i change it through a software like the one that goes with the Mobo, i can increase Bus speed, however it is always unstable, and courses worker 7 & 8 to error out in Prime95.

EDIT: Adding addition question.
    Any insight in what could be the culprit in either my OC bus speed in bios problem, or my fps issue (CPU VS GPU) Would again be greatly appreciated. I've been working on this shit all day....

My fps goes between 20-90. like 20-40FPS in 20-30man raids, 30-60FPS during invasion, and 70-100FPS when just standing in a semi empty area with nothing going on.
    GFX Settings are (AA-Low, Texture-High, Antistropic-8x, The rest is set to either fair or low except particle density which is set to high, View, ground clutter and environment all set to 5.)
    Last edited by mmoc8d3f4cebcb; 2016-08-24 at 09:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How high is the overclock? Mine is running 4.3Ghz Prime95 stable. I forget what voltage it's set to. Just increase the clock to 4.4 and leave the voltage alone. Test it and if something goes wrong, then go back into the bios and increase the voltage one notch up. Test again, until you find the sweat spot. This can get annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf41i5oMI-w

Motherboards are a little different but should be very close.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

On this chip if you only plan to go to 4.4ghz then don't touch the voltage at all, also I would overclock by multiplier only for such a low OC. Also with an OC at 4.4ghz you can usually, depending on the mobo/psu, leave turbo on.

I can't say for sure though, I have this CPU at the moment @4.730ghz, @1.435v/max, with turbo off. My mobo is an ASUS M5A99FX pro R2.0 and I'm using the same PSU as OP.

http://imgur.com/a/HGQRt

15+ Year Old Account
    This is why I bought a mobo that does auto voltages on OCing through bios

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurushock View Post
    On this chip if you only plan to go to 4.4ghz then don't touch the voltage at all, also I would overclock by multiplier only for such a low OC. Also with an OC at 4.4ghz you can usually, depending on the mobo/psu, leave turbo on.

I can't say for sure though, I have this CPU at the moment @4.730ghz, @1.435v/max, with turbo off. My mobo is an ASUS M5A99FX pro R2.0 and I'm using the same PSU as OP.

http://imgur.com/a/HGQRt
    Well, For some strange reason the only way i can even change the CPU frequency is through software, when changing it in Bios nothing happens. I've managed to get 4.3 stable but with increase in Voltage and increase in multiplier, but, even with the voltage increase, it doesn't run above 60C during prime. Still trying to figure out why i can't change the CPU frequency in bios. and for some reason prime keeps failing my worker 7 - and 8 , when trying to OC the bus speed through software, So any ideas would be amazing.

Now that you have managed such an OC, i have to ask, do you happen to play wow?, what GPU / Settings do you play with, and what is your FPS like.
    The reason i am asking and the reason why i am Overclocking, is that my fps tends to drop by a lot when stuff goes on, and i am not sure if it's the GPU or the CPU that keeps me from getting a steady FPS even on a pretty low Gfx lvl (AA-Low, Texture-High, Antistropic-8x, The rest is set to either fair or low except particle density which is set to high, View, ground clutter and environment all set to 5.)

Any insight in what could be the culprit in either my OC bus speed in bios problem, or my fps issue (CPU VS GPU) Would again be greatly appreciated. I've been working on this shit all day....

Edit:
    Maybe i should mention that my GPU is a 7850 1Gig AMD Sapphire.. (...ikr )
    Last edited by mmoc8d3f4cebcb; 2016-08-24 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tweekzlol View Post
    Well, For some strange reason the only way i can even change the CPU frequency is through software, when changing it in Bios nothing happens. I've managed to get 4.3 stable but with increase in Voltage and increase in multiplier, but, even with the voltage increase, it doesn't run above 60C during prime. Still trying to figure out why i can't change the CPU frequency in bios. and for some reason prime keeps failing my worker 7 - and 8 , when trying to OC the bus speed through software, So any ideas would be amazing.

Now that you have managed such an OC, i have to ask, do you happen to play wow?, what GPU / Settings do you play with, and what is your FPS like.
    The reason i am asking and the reason why i am Overclocking, is that my fps tends to drop by a lot when stuff goes on, and i am not sure if it's the GPU or the CPU that keeps me from getting a steady FPS even on a pretty low Gfx lvl (AA-Low, Texture-High, Antistropic-8x, The rest is set to either fair or low except particle density which is set to high, View, ground clutter and environment all set to 5.)

Edit:
    Maybe i should mention that my GPU is a 7850 1Gig AMD Sapphire.. (...ikr )
    That's really strange that you can only OC via software and not in the bios. I'd check what bios version you have installed and then check online to see if it's up to date. I've never used any brand of motherboard out side of ASUS so I can't say all that much on the matter for your board.

As for my computer specs, here they are: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/qczyKZ (link should work) nothing all that special.

And as for gaming, yes, my main game of choice is WoW. I play on mostly ultra settings with v-sync on and shadows on fair. The only time I drop below 60 fps is when I'm in a major city with a lot of people out, usually have a drop to around 45-55 fps and stays stable there. During raids, I don't keep my eye on my fps ever but I can say for sure that I never notice large drops in fps, my best guess is that in 20man mythic during lust I probably drop to around 35 fps. Honestly not bad on an AMD system. WoW is probably one of the worst optimized games out there if you ask me, as long as you don't have freeze ups then you are doing well for yourself.

edit: also, it is in my own opinion that your GPU is meh. AMD is doing very well with the higher end R9's/Fury and with the RX 470/480's but outside of those I would not choose AMD over nvidia. I used to have the ASUS gtx 750 it OC and it is about as good as it gets for wow in terms of GPU usage.
    Last edited by Gurushock; 2016-08-24 at 10:43 PM.

Deleted
    That's really strange that you can only OC via software and not in the bios. I'd check what bios version you have installed and then check online to see if it's up to date. I've never used any brand of motherboard out side of ASUS so I can't say all that much on the matter for your board.

As for my computer specs, here they are: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/qczyKZ (link should work) nothing all that special.

And as for gaming, yes, my main game of choice is WoW. I play on mostly ultra settings with v-sync on and shadows on fair. The only time I drop below 60 fps is when I'm in a major city with a lot of people out, usually have a drop to around 45-55 fps and stays stable there. During raids, I don't keep my eye on my fps ever but I can say for sure that I never notice large drops in fps, my best guess is that in 20man mythic during lust I probably drop to around 35 fps. Honestly not bad on an AMD system. WoW is probably one of the worst optimized games out there if you ask me, as long as you don't have freeze ups then you are doing well for yourself.

edit: also, it is in my own opinion that your GPU is meh. AMD is doing very well with the higher end R9's/Fury and with the RX 470/480's but outside of those I would not choose AMD over nvidia. I used to have the ASUS gtx 750 it OC and it is about as good as it gets for wow in terms of GPU usage.
    Yeah i don't know why the bios is bugged, i'm running the newest version actually just updated it 3 days ago.

Well atleast that is way better than me considering you play ultra, so i guess if i buy a Strix or MSI X, 8gb, 470 or 480, or a Strix 1060 6GB. either one of those and i should be running pretty stable for now it seems?

Quote Originally Posted by tweekzlol View Post
    Yeah i don't know why the bios is bugged, i'm running the newest version actually just updated it 3 days ago.

Well atleast that is way better than me considering you play ultra, so i guess if i buy a Strix or MSI X, 8gb, 470 or 480, or a Strix 1060 6GB. either one of those and i should be running pretty stable for now it seems?
    You don't need strix, it's just flashy. Asus has other cards with the same specs they are cheaper, plus other brands like MSI that have cards for cheaper with the same specs. Honestly, if I were you, I would not worry much at all for now. Just save up money, assuming you like me and can't just drop $600-1,000 easily. Save up and either build/buy an intel computer OR wait for Zen to release(AMD new CPU, AM4 socket/ddr4 ram) zen is looking very good, at the moment one of the first zen chips beats intel's best chip, so AMD is looking to be going places in the CPU department finely(don't quote me on that though, just read it online, can't believe everything you read)

Deleted
    You don't need strix, it's just flashy. Asus has other cards with the same specs they are cheaper, plus other brands like MSI that have cards for cheaper with the same specs. Honestly, if I were you, I would not worry much at all for now. Just save up money, assuming you like me and can't just drop $600-1,000 easily. Save up and either build/buy an intel computer OR wait for Zen to release(AMD new CPU, AM4 socket/ddr4 ram) zen is looking very good, at the moment one of the first zen chips beats intel's best chip, so AMD is looking to be going places in the CPU department finely(don't quote me on that though, just read it online, can't believe everything you read)
    Well, as far as specs go, The RX 480 Strix does seem to have a higher clock speed than the rest, sadly it won't be in stock around me for the next 10 days.

And that was my plan indeed, either building a new intel or a Zen when i find the funds for it. However in the mean time i would very much like to upgrade my GPU as, well yeah 7850 1gb Sapphire is just rubbish. and playing with shite fps on low GFX settings is starting to anoy me. which is why i'm bothering.

However if my CPU was the cause, or part of the cause for my low fps it would be a waste to buy a new GPU without also upgrading the CPU, but as it turns out, your fps is higher than mine with waaay higher graphics, so obviously there is no need to rush replacing the CPU.

Now i just need to figure out what GPU to get, as i can't really decide between, RX 470 / 480 8Gb, and 1060 6Gb.

And last i need to figure out why i still can't OC the Bus in bios without my CPU going unstable.

After that i should be ready for legion.