Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Facebook to go H2H with Steam.

I guess if anybody could do it, it would be Facebook.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/games/...?ocid=SK216DHP

SNIPPET:

The company announced on August 18 that it's making an "all-new PC gaming platform." A Facebook rep that the "platform" in question is a standalone PC application — like Steam — for accessing PC games.

Presumably that will include a storefront, some form of chat/friends list, and maybe even game broadcasting. Not only is this stuff standard at this point (even on game consoles), but it's all stuff that Facebook already has: Messenger and Live solve the latter two needs, and Facebook continues to operate a digital storefront on the web.

It makes a lot of sense for Facebook to create something like Steam. Consider this:

Facebook also has a VR headset, . Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has repeatedly stated that he believes VR and, eventually, augmented reality (AR) are the next major computing platforms.

only old people use facebook. all the hip teens are on twitter and instagram
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    And as all others they will fail horribly, as steam has a tested and stable platform that people who are hardcore gamers and spend money on PC games have quite already a lot invested in.

Facebook is not a platform that brings "great games!" as first thought, it's a social media that is mostly seen as a means to promote events and for some egocentric folk that finds everything needs to be on facebook.

It's too late to lay out what steam all has and what facebook doesn't, but to think it can go head to head with the giant is you simply fooling yourself or not getting the whole picture. Steam has greenlight, workshop, their own hardware, all major players are on there. Facebook has, facebook games and will mostly use it as a front to offload more mobile phone aimed games. As pointed out earlier those invested in gaming already use steam, to get people to not just use in addition to steam but as alternative to steam the platform has to be better, at this point facebook at best is playing catch up in a game where steam is flying with jet engines and facebook has just discovered the wheel.

VR goes also beyond gaming, think digital meetings, more promotion events related media, such as walking around in a small part of a movie, theater and what not. He's investing in it as he knows there's a lot of money to be made come product placement and he wants another front seat at that table or at least a seat, for that you need your own VR tech and software to make product placement easier for potential customers.

So all in all, i really find you're reading too much into this. If they are really intending to compete, well it's his money to waste not like he has a shortage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    And as all others they will fail horribly, as steam has a tested and stable platform that people who are hardcore gamers and spend money on PC games have quite already a lot invested in.
    Once upon a time no one thought Nintendo could be dethroned in the console race, and we all know what happened.

Once upon a time Apple was on it's death bed getting destroyed by microsoft, and we all know what happened.

Never say never.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Once upon a time no one thought Nintendo could be dethroned in the console race, and we all know what happened.

Once upon a time Apple was on it's death bed getting destroyed by microsoft, and we all know what happened.
    Never upon a time did people think that McDonalds was going to overthrow Starbucks.

Facebook games pose as much threat to Steam, as McDonalds coffee poses to Starbucks.

And as all others they will fail horribly,
    i mean gog is doing pretty okay
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    only old people use facebook. all the hip teens are on twitter and instagram
    Facebook owns Instagram so they could tie it there too if they wanted. Twitter is garbage, though it would be funny to see game descriptions limited to 140 chars and stupid hashtags. Not that I think they could compete though. I'd wager Facebook is more commonly used on phones than PC nowadays. Instagram is mobile phone only. Not sure how they use that for PC gaming. I've logged into Facebook on my PC maybe twice in the last year. I doubt i am unusual in that regard.

Facebook is trying to devour the internet one platform at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Never upon a time did people think that McDonalds was going to overthrow Starbucks.

Facebook games pose as much threat to Steam, as McDonalds coffee poses to Starbucks.
    Wow, you must be a youngn' Starbucks didn't even really start to expand much until the late 80s, and wasn't really main stream until the 2000s.

Comparing someone who specializes in coffee to someone that just serves it though, great example.

Facebook is not a platform that brings "great games!" as first thought, it's a social media that is mostly seen as a means to promote events and for some egocentric folk that finds everything needs to be on facebook.

It's too late to lay out what steam all has and what facebook doesn't, but to think it can go head to head with the giant is you simply fooling yourself or not getting the whole picture. Steam has greenlight, workshop, their own hardware, all major players are on there. Facebook has, facebook games and will mostly use it as a front to offload more mobile phone aimed games. As pointed out earlier those invested in gaming already use steam, to get people to not just use in addition to steam but as alternative to steam the platform has to be better, at this point facebook at best is playing catch up in a game where steam is flying with jet engines and facebook has just discovered the wheel.

VR goes also beyond gaming, think digital meetings, more promotion events related media, such as walking around in a small part of a movie, theater and what not. He's investing in it as he knows there's a lot of money to be made come product placement and he wants another front seat at that table or at least a seat, for that you need your own VR tech and software to make product placement easier for potential customers.

So all in all, i really find you're reading too much into this. If they are really intending to compete, well it's his money to waste not like he has a shortage of it.
    The faster horse story from Ford..

You are not seeing the big picture. Facebook isn´t going to try to bring ´gamers´ over from steam, what they are going to do is extend facebook games to PC downloads. Different target audience.

More competition is good so I'm all for it.

Some details in The Know video some mite want to hear.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I'll stick to steam. Thanks.

I hate facebook honestly. Would never use it.

what's the point? there are so many already, why make a new one? i'm tired of having my game split between steam, origin, battle.net, that ubisoftshit, gog. now this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    I guess if anybody could do it, it would be Facebook.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/games/...?ocid=SK216DHP

SNIPPET:

The company announced on August 18 that it's making an "all-new PC gaming platform." A Facebook rep that the "platform" in question is a standalone PC application — like Steam — for accessing PC games.

Presumably that will include a storefront, some form of chat/friends list, and maybe even game broadcasting. Not only is this stuff standard at this point (even on game consoles), but it's all stuff that Facebook already has: Messenger and Live solve the latter two needs, and Facebook continues to operate a digital storefront on the web.

It makes a lot of sense for Facebook to create something like Steam. Consider this:

Facebook also has a VR headset, . Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has repeatedly stated that he believes VR and, eventually, augmented reality (AR) are the next major computing platforms.
    The source in your link has been removed. There's nothing in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

Never say never.
    You wat mate?

The main reason I think it won't work is this:

Many people want to keep their group of social friends separate from their gaming friends. For many of us, games are an escape from things like facebook.

Unless they have sales like steam does, nope. They wouldn't be the first to try it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    what's the point? there are so many already, why make a new one? i'm tired of having my game split between steam, origin, battle.net, that ubisoftshit, gog. now this?
    Competition is good. Let Facebook come up with their own tool, it might contain some elements that Steam might use to improve itself.

You can't compare this to Bnet or Uplay or Origin. Those are platforms created by game devs/publishers.

Oh look someone else competing with steam. Unless they can transfer your library of games over to facebook for free this is going to be another niche thing like origins.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.