Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I don't want this, but I could see something like "Reinhardt is injured too badly due to old age to fight, here's someone that wears the exact same armor, but is just a different person".

That doesn't cover the voice lines though, but honestly those are minimal anyway and while I do enjoy them, it's not a severe loss if they're replaced.

But here ya go-
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We don't have any plans to retire any heroes. The interviewer asked if there was a possibility that this could ever happen and I "left the door open". The original poster in this thread did not even link to the original article but rather to an article quoting the article in question.

We're not even remotely thinking about retiring heroes right now or anytime in the foreseeable future.

I think this thread is making a mountain out of a molehill.
    http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overw...age=9#post-169

So it was a interview issue, they asked him specifically, not him bringing it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    If I know Blizz- they will "retire" the hero from the general hero rotation, but you can pay 10$ to buy permanent use of the "retired" hero.
    Blizzard is already making hand over fist CASH MONIES with that olympic box stuff.. No need to actually pull a GABE NEWELL on us YET

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I don't want this, but I could see something like "Reinhardt is injured too badly due to old age to fight, here's someone that wears the exact same armor, but is just a different person".

That doesn't cover the voice lines though, but honestly those are minimal anyway and while I do enjoy them, it's not a severe loss if they're replaced.

But here ya go-
    We don't have any plans to retire any heroes. The interviewer asked if there was a possibility that this could ever happen and I "left the door open". The original poster in this thread did not even link to the original article but rather to an article quoting the article in question.

We're not even remotely thinking about retiring heroes right now or anytime in the foreseeable future.

So it was a interview issue, they asked him specifically, not him bringing it up.
    JesterBRO case closed. lock it up Bossman

7+ Year Old Account

But here ya go-

thank god.....
    k then, this can be closed i guess.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand the logic in why a character would be retired but people are attached to them and it's pretty bummy to think you might never play them again. Perhaps it would end up being a rotation of sorts when there is enough characters to warrent it. Thankfully it is probably a ways off at this point.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    think about it as LoL old characters rework, yup its exactly the same

old sion retired for example, and brought us a new hero with the same name, no one paniced i see?

yorick is biting the dust now

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    JesterBRO case closed. lock it up Bossman
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal123 View Post
    thank god.....
    k then, this can be closed i guess.
    I have no power here

But yeah, it seems like it's safe to say they're not going to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    I have no power here

But yeah, it seems like it's safe to say they're not going to.
    <3 thank you though for the clarification - I was hoping they wouldn't remove anyone, I actually like the game how it is. I don't mind them adding new players either - I just don't want them to remove anyone hahah

I love when someone makes a random Blizzard quote of of its context and people all around the world take the pitchfors anyway.

Remebers me to pay less and less attention to stuff not related to patch/updates.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Only way I could accept this is Hearthstone style: all heroes in Quick Play "Wild" mode, restrictions for heroes in competetive.

Def will be a thing in ranked eventually.

They're doing the same to Hearthstone, you can't use old adventures' cards in standard mode but you can use everything in wild mode.
    Guess a system like that would make sense for Overwatch once they have too many heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkiman View Post
    They're doing the same to Hearthstone, you can't use old adventures' cards in standard mode but you can use everything in wild mode.
    Guess a system like that would make sense for Overwatch once they have too many heroes.
    I was about to say, just have standard and wild formats for it, just like HS.
    If it becomes a problem in HotS they could even do the same thing there.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    welp, if they got rid of D.va and Hanzo I'd ok with that.
    RyugawagatekiGOF*CKYOURSELF! ... Im... just kidding, don't report me for that...

Back to topic this seems like... quite a moronic idea. I mean of course "killing off" could mean storywise, having one character replace the other in all its shapes and forms, which i could accept... but Overwatch relies on its lore only in its marketing. Every other way would be QUITE the dickish move considering that people can and are encouraged to pay extra in this game to get skins, sprays and so on. In fact... they couldn't just remove a champion without making up for that. Even Jeff Kaplan who (and i say that in honest respect regardless) has the foresight of a sushiroll should be able to know that... The backlash would likely be a bit to big.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

Deleted

Except that some people payed money for those voices and skins in particular. Some people like certain characters and replacing them does take away their favourite character. It's one thing to create a skin for a character and make that standard so to say. It's another thing to remove a character for good and give another character with same abilities.

Not sure if it's been said, but it probably means taken out of comp/pro games but still in QP. Would keep the meta changing without becoming stale over months/years and still let people play the heroes in other modes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seifa View Post
    And that's why you shouldn't ever speak about future probabilities in development.... Now this thing will be blown up out of proportions like tomorrow Genji would be removed with the announcement of the new hero while probably it won't happen in a long time... if ever.
    Sigh.
    Genji is already going away on 12/20. He's joining Santa's reindeer gang.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Can they retire Tracer pls? She's like a flea, annoying and hops everywhere..

they should've thought about that before giving each character tons of depth, story and personality.
    people are already attached to them like its a close friend or family member.
    you just cant take things like that away.
    I personally like it, would be a rare example of gameplay and story integration in a multiplayer game. Would make the deaths of heroes much more impactful, since they really would be gone. This is no different then a character not returning in a new installment of a fighting game.

not only that, but its even worse because of the cosmetics, there are tons of people who bought hundreds of loot boxes just to get some specific skin/spray/emote/hilight/whatever for a specific hero.
    hero mains would rage the hell out of the forums.
    You would certainly be able to have the option to still play them in quick match, just not competitive (for obvious reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    Retiring any of the characters is about as likely as WoW retiring Mages and Warriors.
    These heroes are characters, not classes. Blizzard has made that crystal clear since the beginning; it's even advertised on their shop page.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    I'm thinking they're more leaning towards Competitive play
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Def will be a thing in ranked eventually.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkiman View Post
    Already exists: quick match is your wild mode, and competitive/ranked would be standard.

If its just ranked I can see the reasons and req just fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    lol man you kids are so funny. There are no 'safe places' on the Internet.