New Build. Opinions please.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZfTntJ

I am shooting for around $1500 USD budget. I would like to get some input on what some of you think. I can change parts easily.

Personally, I'd consider getting Windows from a site like kinguin since you can get it for 30 and spend the money you saved on a better CPU cooler. I'd also consider the 850 EVo on the SSD. Other than that looks good.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Personally, I'd consider getting Windows from a site like kinguin since you can get it for 30 and spend the money you saved on a better CPU cooler. I'd also consider the 850 EVo on the SSD. Other than that looks good.
    Echoing this suggestion. The money you save can go a long way but I'm not sure about Rosewill cases. I'd rather pick up an NZXT S340 and dump the savings in to components or go a smidge higher to get a H440.

Don't skimp on case fans either.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2016-08-26 at 05:34 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    You'll regret that 120 gb SSD - too small.

Also, do you need an i7? What will you be doing that you think you'll need it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I'd rather pick up an NZXT S340 and dump the savings in to components or go a smidge higher to get a H440.
    I concur. The S340 is slick and sexy.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    850W PSU is overkill, get a 550/650W instead and put the extra money into a bigger SSD.

What are you planning to use this PC for?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    http://pcpartpicker.com/list/s4Rv3F
    Ok. Thanks for the input everyone! It has been a long time since I have built a PC. Will I be able to download an unactivated copy of Win10 and buy the key for $30 then activate? As in a download from microsoft's website?
    @Triggered Fridgekin - The Rosewill case is a full tower with all the features I am looking for. The reviews are really good for it. I will look in to the s340 as well though.

Deleted
    get a black edition hdd. it will last longer!

and i would buy a fractal define r4 or r5 case. the are so good! with good fans i got an inside temperature of 8 celsius!
    for cpu cooler i would go with the mugen 4. i got him myself with 2 fans on him. my cpu never gets above 45 celsius.

a cooler system means it will live longer. thats my opinion. the rest is fine.

one thing... i would always go with asus motherboards... in my opinion they have the best quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptical View Post
    850W PSU is overkill, get a 550/650W instead and put the extra money into a bigger SSD.

What are you planning to use this PC for?
    Gaming in my down time, lots of grad school stuff. @Pterodactylus - I just want to future proof it as much as possible, I don't want to have to upgrade again for as long as possible. Plus I want to add a second 1070 down the road.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    @Pterodactylus - I just want to future proof it as much as possible, I don't want to have to upgrade again for as long as possible. Plus I want to add a second 1070 down the road.
    I'd get the i5-6600K. It's as "future proof" as the i7, but makes more sense considering you're mostly gaming. That extra hundred you save can be better used on things like a bigger SSD.

I bought a 120gb SSD. I told myself that it's big enough for WoW and Windows, and it is. But only having WoW and the SSD made me sad when I waited for my other games to load off the HDD. So I had to get a 2nd SSD for my games. Now I have just windows on my 120gb and a 500gb for my games. I also have a mostly empty 1 tb HHD!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by axiom View Post
    and i would buy a fractal define r4 or r5 case. the are so good! with good fans i got an inside temperature of 8 celsius!
    No you don't, unless you are using your computer in a room that is at 8 C.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a Black and White Build in the S340 with a 500gb SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($86.92 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card ($429.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.69 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($92.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1413.69
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-26 16:12 EDT-0400
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; 2016-08-27 at 05:43 AM.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    I'd get the i5-6600K. It's as "future proof" as the i7, but makes more sense considering you're mostly gaming. That extra hundred you save can be better used on things like a bigger SSD.

I bought a 120gb SSD. I told myself that it's big enough for WoW and Windows, and it is. But only having WoW and the SSD made me sad when I waited for my other games to load off the HDD. So I had to get a 2nd SSD for my games. Now I have just windows on my 120gb and a 500gb for my games. I also have a mostly empty 1 tb HHD!

- - - Updated - - -

No you don't, unless you are using your computer in a room that is at 8 C.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a Black and White Build in the S340 with a 500gb SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($147.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($86.92 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($157.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card ($429.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.69 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($92.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1413.69
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-26 16:12 EDT-0400
    I love that build Pterodactylus. My only concern is the size of the cooler. Are you sure it will fit inside that case? It has been several years since my last build so I am not 100% up to speed with latest trends and what not.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    I love that build Pterodactylus. My only concern is the size of the cooler. Are you sure it will fit inside that case?
    It will fit. It's only 1 mm taller than the CM 212 Evo, the cooler I have in my S340. The fan on my Cooler Master has started to make some noise, so I am not too happy considering it's only about 1.5 years old - that's why I used something else in my suggested build. Plus the CRYOIG looks a lot better than the CM 212. But it will fit. It's the same height as the Dark Rock 3, which I used in the rig I built for my buddy in his S340.

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a completed build that has the Mobo, Case, and Cooler so you can see some pics. Clearly it fits (but it's close!)

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/msNNnQ

- - - Updated - - -

It does cover that first RAM slot, but you'd use 2 and 4 anyway. If you think you need more than 16 gigs (you don't) then you can get 2 16 gig sticks instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    It will fit. It's only 1 mm taller than the CM 212 Evo, the cooler I have in my S340. The fan on my Cooler Master has started to make some noise, so I am not too happy considering it's only about 1.5 years old - that's why I used something else in my suggested build. Plus the CRYOIG looks a lot better than the CM 212. But it will fit. It's the same height as the Dark Rock 3, which I used in the rig I built for my buddy in his S340.

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a completed build that has the Mobo, Case, and Cooler so you can see some pics. Clearly it fits (but it's close!)

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/msNNnQ

- - - Updated - - -

It does cover that first RAM slot, but you'd use 2 and 4 anyway. If you think you need more than 16 gigs (you don't) then you can get 2 16 gig sticks instead.
    Ok I am in love with that build, I think I will go with the NZXT case. In those pictures, it shows that the SATA ports on the mainboard are up and down, I could have sworn the ports in the pictures in the build I made had them side-facing. Up and down would be really annoying to me as it would require cables to be bent a second time, thus increasing the tension on them. In addition to the SATA ports being up and down, would a second 1070 be possible. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Lawnmower; 2016-08-28 at 02:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved to Build/Upgrade help section, where it belongs.