Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Not H1B related, but if any are still in India and work US time zone, ask how they make it home from work. It's eye opening... I try to work extra hours to make sure my team never stays late. Salaried, so I don't get extra money for doing it... It's that bad over there...
    Quite a few are in the US, and quite a few simply don't. You put in a work order and the next morning its done, pretty convenient.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Quite a few are in the US, and quite a few simply don't. You put in a work order and the next morning its done, pretty convenient.
    And if something goes wrong, you lose a day.
    Last edited by Felya; 2016-08-27 at 04:21 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

No, simply replacing US workers does not make this a problem. If someone is better in another country, an easy way to bring them to US is never a problem. The problem is around why there is no one in US, as good for the same price. The answer is due to exclusivity of education. The same degree of education and professional competence is much harder to get in US and thus carries a steeper price. Unlike China and India and Poland, our degrees spike the cost of employment due to their scarcity. This isn't manufacturing, these are skill jobs. These are the jobs we want Americams to excel at, but education barriers simply don't allow our population to be on the same level.

You fix H1B problem, by fixing American education. You bring the coal miners, the car manufacturers and all jobs going away or to other countries, into classrooms. Teach them IT... Increase the educated IT base... Lower the price of employment due to professional competition... The need for H1B is gone...
    Part of the problem is the H1B visa is fucking with the supply and demand on our side for the education. If we limited the number of H1B visa's demand on our side would go up for those specialized trades, which would also increase pay. This would lead to more people pursuing the education in those fields.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I see the problem as, say you're a top C++ programmer making over $100K a year. Companies say they can't hire C++ programmers because there aren't enough in the US. But these foreign H1B people are willing to work for less and this brings your wages down too. Not only do you have more competition for your C++ jobs but you are competing with people who don't mind making less money.
    Why are they willing to live in US and still make less? Their school cost albatross doesn't exist. Their IT education is far more common, thus doesn't carry the cost in employment here. We don't just bring any dumb ass with credentials, it's several people that rise up over a much larger pool.

C++ education does not need to be as scarce to warrant the price US employees are forced to demand. But, just compare learning a second language in US, to other countries. If we cannot reach those levels with something as basic as learning multiple languages, C++ has no hope. Our pre college education focuses on the wrong thing, with a wrong philosophy. Our college education is either too much if a barrier financially, or a financial albatross that demands employee's overhead that other countries do not have.

We are creating this problem. We have to be able to get the best at the price from all over the world. It makes the country stronger. This only becomes a problem when our own population falls so far behind, that finding someone better at the price, simply becomes too easy. The problem isn't them, it's us. H1B is a problem that points right at education. A solution to which is far more important to American future, than all the bullshit we hear about manufacturing.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Very interesting information here. Thanks for sharing.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Part of the problem is the H1B visa is fucking with the supply and demand on our side for the education. If we limited the number of H1B visa's demand on our side would go up for those specialized trades, which would also increase pay. This would lead to more people pursuing the education in those fields.
    What would the result be? Shittier product, because we had to hire a less qualified person than we could? No, getting the best person for the job is not the problem. The problem is that the best person for the job is not American. It's much easier to point fingers, but the solution to this has nothing to do with the ability to bring people in.

Deleted
    Why hire a American worker. Who will spend most of the work time on Reddit or goofing off. When you can hire someone , who is doing their job?

If your Job is being threatened by a Visa Worker it means you are not valuable enough to keep and that is no ones fault but your own. Skilled, valuable workers do not get fired unless the Business is doing badly and downsizing.

Don`t blame Businesses for getting the most value for their money. If the Workforce is inefficient it will get replaced. Just like a broken part in a machine gets replaced.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Why hire a American worker. Who will spend most of the work time on Reddit or goofing off. When you can hire someone , who is doing their job?

If your Job is being threatened by a Visa Worker it means you are not valuable enough to keep and that is no ones fault but your own. Skilled, valuable workers do not get fired unless the Business is doing badly and downsizing.

Don`t blame Businesses for getting the most value for their money. If the Workforce is inefficient it will get replaced. Just like a broken part in a machine gets replaced.
    Might as well replace every American worker with a foreigner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/us...mmigrants.html

What would the result be? Shittier product, because we had to hire a less qualified person than we could? No, getting the best person for the job is not the problem. The problem is that the best person for the job is not American. It's much easier to point fingers, but the solution to this has nothing to do with the ability to bring people in.
    with a demand for well trained IT personal will come a supply of well trained personal. That's how the labor market works mr. felya

Their education is often better. Many don't bring kids over with them, because education is better in India. The main issue, from being on the floor with these guys, is that US simply does not have the education needed to fill these jobs. There is a good chance 'John Smith' that answers your tech support call with a heavy accent, actually has a BS in computer science. It's similar to a Russian immigrant joke from the 90s, we had enouph scientists driving cabs in Brooklyn, to form an entire scientific community for most countries.

Look at Poland, whose IT industry is booming, including from places like infosys. They refocused education, by making IT degrees and even pre-college IT education much easier to get. The result has been one of the most booming, while more expensive, outsourcing targets. While most in West like to point at India and China, Poland is quickly catching up, while increasing the cost of outsourcing.

Education is extremely important. If we had greater oportunity towards it and better early education, these jobs wouldn't need H1B visas. If our problem was that even a McDonald's employee has a BS in science, H1B would no longer be a problem. This should be our goal as a country. Everyone has the credentials, but only the best make into their fields. Remember, these are skill based jobs...

Without diverting the thread into what is wrong with education, the solution is here:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dewey
    Thats simply bullshit, its done for economic reasons namely to supress wages.

10+ Year Old Account
    H1B is a good thing but the problem is there should be a healthy standard. There should be a healthy balance between people competing for jobs and jobs competing for people. We have seen that erode away even more so in the tech industry not just because they can pull someone out of a hat from across the world, but also because tech giants have illegally colluded with each other in the past to not offer jobs or higher salaries to those working for their competitors.

Who can compete with someone who has to work hard or get deported?

Amazon loves some H1Bs, I can confirm that personally.
    Working on my next ban.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Might as well replace every American worker with a foreigner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/us...mmigrants.html
    A Worker is a Machine. If Companies can get the same Machine elsewere at a better value, they will choose the most cost efficient Machine. If American Workers, cannot compete, they should make themselfs more competitive on the Marketplace and not complain that Businesses chose a superior Worker.

In your example. Why should Disney hire a American Animator? When they can get the same Quality Animation at a cheaper cost. The American Worker is overcharging for his services and is not being competive.

If I want to buy a product and Store B sells it cheaper then Store A, while offering similiar levels of service. I will get the Product from Store B. In this case Disney is doing the exact same thing. Getting the most value out of a service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    with a demand for well trained IT personal will come a supply of well trained personal. That's how the labor market works mr. felya
    It is coming, just not from US. See my replies through the thread for why.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Thats simply bullshit, its done for economic reasons namely to supress wages.
    It is done for economic reasons, because results of our social standards, driving the economic reasons. If there were more employees for these skills in US, our costs would be similar and the economic reason wouldn't exist. This isn't manufacturing, it's skill jobs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Who can compete with someone who has to work hard or get deported?
    H1B do not get deported, they go home. The same risk as for any at-will American employee. You suck at your job, you are sent home.

In year 2000, I was making $200,000. (This is year 2000 dollar. It is much more now.)
    Then a H1B comes.

Now I am a full time WoW raider and on US government welfare payroll.
    Thanks to Obama.

I enjoy watching people defend mega corporations while they break the law to make more money. Worship at that alter of the dollar a little longer.

Likely the same people who would burn a man at the stake for stealing a candy bar. Hippocrits.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    In year 2000, I was making $200,000. (This is year 2000 dollar. It is much more now.)
    Then a H1B comes.

Now I am a full time WoW raider and on US government welfare payroll.
    Thanks to Obama.

don't forget people trying to enter IT

I had a internship for 3 months where my boss literally said i was his best intern ever.....*i was a network technician and i was setting up class rooms/running cable/routers/switches/etc.....(this is where i actually learned the most cause OMFG GO FIGURE LEARNING ON THE JOB OR USING THE SKILLS YOU DO KNOW HELPS IMPROVE THEM)

I got 5 years in retail with half a year in management in their....(2 out of 3 bosses i had said i was their best employee they ever had and customers would rate me the highest and my dad didn't even believe me on some stories till we meet one in church) last boss abussed my work ethic and drove me nuts in management so i ended up quitting the time my internship began*being underpaid didn't help*

i got 2 AS degrees in Network infrastruture and Information Systems

I built/operate my own 3d printer

i know html, visual basic, and cisco, but i do need more real world experience that only a JOB CAN GET ME.

I am going back to school now to get a BS because no one will hire me *i did about 15 interviews in 6 months and applied at i don;t know how many jobs but easily 100+*

asking enough questions, i figured out i was more then qualified for all the jobs i applied for, they just find *someone better*. Even one job whicvh i thought i had because they seemed to really like me came back and said they will not be hiring anyone and are looking into other options
    (sounds like H1B to me)

taking a C++ course atm.....will end up doing more (they are elective requirements so i can choose other languages like python and what not)but i rather be working then going back to school even longer..... most of this i know the basics already can could easily do better with experience, problem is getitng a starting position tog et experience that is requiring experience to get experience.....

I am 25 and tired of this bullshit, working $9.00 a hour as a manager made me jaded enough.....Trying to get first job in IT made me even more jaded..... then going back to school even LONGER made me super jaded.........

oh and my dad (who has a PHD in Biochemistry)tried to get me a IT job at his place but then he found out they were replacing who they had ON-SITE for people in India on the phone and remote access..... and he is pissed because any computer problem that does happen now never gets fix because the people from India have no clue how to fix a computer....and with no one on site well you have other issues when it comes to hardware and networks
    (he works for a large Corporation)

but oh yeah, these companies can't find anyone to help them...................................................................................... .......................................................................................... .......................................................................................... .......................................................................................... ....................

hell one place told me asking $15.00*on the application not interview* a hour for a Network Admin / Help desk position was to high....and they didn't even give me a chance to say i would go lower *cause i want the experience*
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2016-08-27 at 07:24 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    A Worker is a Machine. If Companies can get the same Machine elsewere at a better value, they will choose the most cost efficient Machine. If American Workers, cannot compete, they should make themselfs more competitive on the Marketplace and not complain that Businesses chose a superior Worker.

In your example. Why should Disney hire a American Animator? When they can get the same Quality Animation at a cheaper cost. The American Worker is overcharging for his services and is not being competive.

If I want to buy a product and Store B sells it cheaper then Store A, while offering similiar levels of service. I will get the Product from Store B. In this case Disney is doing the exact same thing. Getting the most value out of a service.
    Actually a worker is a person, and also a consumer whom if enough of them are unemployed social chaos, instability and collapse soon comes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Looking at those salaries, I can imagine this has gone beyond "sweatshop".

By the way, your average H1B worker doesn't work any "harder". There was a time you could pay lot less but I think Bush Jr. forced companies to pay the same as American workers. Seems to not have worked at all.

Another thing to note, outside of companies like Infosys or Wipro, many of these H1bs are issued to students who go to graduate school in US. Many of these students end up becoming the CEOs and CFOs. While we can work on "sweatshop" hiring, there is nothing you can do if Apple wants to hire someone in US.
    Last edited by jdbond592; 2016-08-27 at 07:13 PM.