Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    We managed a 100person wedding at a country manor for ~£20k. It's incredibly easy for costs to spiral out of control and companies definitely cash in on the bride's desire for everything to be 'just perfect'. I was quoted £450 for a fucking cake so I got a friend of a friend to make it for £150 including the ingredients. Also, My wife's grandmother bought her dress (because she always wanted to do that), I wore my military uniform and so did my best man. We used my father-in-law's nice old car to drive her there.

I brewed a shit load of home-made alcohol that went on all the tables and we bought about 150 bottles of wine for £2 a bottle from Lidl, then chilled it right down so everyone was already wasted / couldn't taste it come the breakfast. We also hand-made the favours, my mum made the runners for the tables and did the flowers. Evening 'buffet' was fish & chips and Cornish pasties!

We even had a cash bar but interviewed about 10 different bar companies to find one that offered us the drinks we wanted and charged less than pub prices! We were just ruthless with the pennies and you couldn't tell come the day. Everyone had an amazing time and people still rave about it over a year later...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodSense View Post
    A 200 person wedding at $130 a plate on which is about going rate for saturday wedding on long island is 26 thousand just for the hall. Now add in flowers, a band, videography, and limo rental and you can easily be pushing 40k. TBH the cheapest wedding I've been to on long island , which was about 7 years ago cost about 32k and mostly because the hall was under renovation so the the venue had to be moved to a more expensive place at the same price.
    $130 a plate? What kind of food is going to be offered? $130 is more than I would spend if I were to invite 10 people to a day long party.

And 200 people... Seriously, where do you even get so many? Do you invite like every niece-of-a-friend-of-a-brother-of-a-friend-of-a-friend or something?

---

I don't know, I can't imagine spending more than $1,000 on my wedding. And even that would be quite a luxurious wedding. But people who have incomes in hundreds thousands a year... Well, sure, it is understandable.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathoric View Post
    I wouldn't go over 20-25k to be honest.

I would rent wedding attire for Bridesmaids, Best men / Ushers , Groom. Bride can have a limit of 3k on a Dress. Have one menu - A starter, Main and Dessert. Screw the vegetarians, they can munch on handmade sandwiches.

Opt for a fully inclusive wedding package. As an example that i looked up online for a Barn venue:

Venue Type :

Civil Ceremony Licence
    Chapel on Premises
    Exclusive Use
    In the Country
    Barn

Evening Entertainment :

Evening Reception Facilities
    Dance Floor
    Entertainment License
    Live Band Facilities
    DJ Facilities
    Outdoor Fireworks Permitted

Overnight Accommodation :

Overnight Accommodation for Wedding Couple
    Overnight Accommodation for Guests

Other Features :

Confetti Permitted
    Disabled Facilities
    Car Parking
    Helipad

Dining Options :

Seated Meal Facilities
    Buffet Meal Facilities
    In House Catering
    Alcohol License

Capacity :

50 to 75 guests
    75 to 100 guests
    100 to 150 guests
    150 to 250 guests

Venue Staff Assistance :
    Wedding Coordinator
    Master of Ceremonies/ Toastmaster

All of that for £4,950.00. Proof - http://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-ven...4138.htm#pos=2

Hire a top notch photographer, so that's a good wad of cash there. Probably a couple thousand.

Hire a musician, preferably a harp player over the piano. And a wedding singer - Another wad of cash spent here.

Hire transport for the guests

2k on a Cake.

Rest on small tidbits like Flowers / Decorations, invitations and light entertainment ect.

Here's two pictures of that Barn venue, not too shabby if i say so myself for under 5K. Beats a church anyway for me.

A barn?
    You think most women are going to be cool with getting married in a Barn?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    100k to get married and how much more do you lose in the divorce?

Marriage seems likle the worst investment ever.
    Well at least at divorce you have nothing to give her since you spent all the money on the wedding. Imo smart move for the guy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    My first wedding cost somewhere like $15,000 and was probably the most awkward experience in my life.

The second wedding cost $2200 and that included the weekend stay at the B&B we got married at as well as most of our recreational costs. It was a much better experience.

The big wedding is terribly overrated.
    Awkward in what way? I'm genuinely curious? Why did you go for it if it was going to turn out that way?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I plan to hold a wedding in a forest, under an oak tree or in a cave. Somewhere outdoors is right for me.

Something simple, natural, inexpensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

This is the only smart way to get married...

MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    This is the only smart way to get married...

If you love her and she loves you, why would you need this...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Because life and marriage isn't a Disney movie.
    Haha, that is a interesting argument.

Do you cut down on your other life expenses too, or is it selectively towards a Moment that is meant to be special?

I mean, if you want to be realistic ; Then you could cut out all of your luxiries, that you do "Because you like", and keep what is nessecary.

Luckily, Some have a higher life standard than that. I personally do whatever i please and find joy in it, i won't settle for a rotten piece of paper for my special moment, if that comes. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    If you love her and she loves you, why would you need this...
    Haha ohhh boy ummm hmmmmm...

Some passwords you just don't share.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Haha ohhh boy ummm hmmmmm...

Some passwords you just don't share.
    You're saying you don't love her if you want a pre nup.
    Last edited by Tennis; 2016-08-28 at 05:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because life and marriage isn't a Disney movie.
    It surely isn't, when you expect everything you do to fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You're saying you don't live her if you want a pre nup.
    Pre-nup or not she will take 1/2 from you anyhow and any kids. So don't get married unless you want to be with her till death.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    You could buy a small house in Alabama for 100k. Small house!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It surely isn't, when you expect everything you do to fail.
    Failure doesnt always happen, but its always smart to consider it a possibility and prepare for it. Its better than not doing so and if it does happen, you end up worse off

It's not about expecting it to fail. It's about understanding that it could.
    Women are so practical. *sigh*

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    How about...

And this is going to sound crazy...

But how about having a smaller smaller wedding, and have the party at like.. your house *gasp*

It's almost like you could not piss your money away. People are retarded.
    That's not always an option.

My girlfriend and I did a head count once. Even if we only invited our immediate family and and their spouses/kids we're looking at close to 60 people. If we add in people like her grandpa and my grandma, her cousin (basically her sister), two of my aunts and our really close friends we easily break 100+ people.

So it's either not invite any of our friends and most of our family, or pay out the ass.

What a waste of money. You could buy a house for 100 and just have people over for a ceremony in the backyard lol.

Luckily I have no will to get married soon, nor do I want a large, fabulous, perfect story-book wedding.

I like small weddings among close / immediate family members, and close friends.

Maybe I'm femaling wrong? Dunno'...
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Quote Originally Posted by NoobistTV-Metro View Post
    They cost as much as you are willing to spend. they can cost nothing too.
    Where can you get a marriage license for free?