Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Worst launches so far (EU) were LK and WoD.
    Naxx 25 was literally unplayable for at least 1 full month after release at peak server times due to lag. We kept wiping to the easiest raid bosses ever due to our screens stopping for up to 1 min...
    WoD... we all know how it went. About 2 days of being stuck in or around garrisons.
    Others were seamless or almost seamless. Haven't been there at the vanilla launch tho'.

7+ Year Old Account
    Judging from what has been going on recently, I fully expect a nasty DDoS attack for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    I´m pretty sure my server will be down again ( Blackmoore-EU DE ) ... queue was sth. like 8.000 at max when wod started.

I normally take off for launch day but not this year. DDoS'ers will most likely ruin the fun for everyone.
    i9 9900K | Aorus Z390 Master | 32GB DDR4 | 2080 Ti | LG-UK650W

I am going to do what I always do

1: not log in the moment the expansion goes live. I value a good night sleep more
    2: Get up in the morning eat a great breakfast and enjoy a hot cup of coffee
    3: try to log in knowing that it's not going to be without issues.
    4: If the game works well I'll just chill and try the best to enjoy whatever wow is going to throw at us this time around
    5: If the launch isn't smooth I'm going to the forums and laugh at all the posts about how shitty blizzard is and all the "I want my money back" post etc.

Eventually everything will work out just fine.

Deleted
    Preety shitty; I won't have much time to play tommorow...
    Gotta go sort out some paperwork for graduation in the morning, which puts me back with work for about 2 hours.
    Right after that i gotta go for lunch with my family due to my brother returning home from abroad after a month.

I will most probably only be able to try it for an hour or 2 in the morning (5:00-7:00; if insomnia strikes again, which it lately did A LOT) and then in the evening (after 18:00, probably till 24:00).

On 2nd thought this still beats WoD launch, where i had an afternoon shift and could only play 22:30-01:00

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Has Blizzard ever once had a successful launch?

The answer is no. There will be plenty of shit for the first week or two, but sometimes, that's just what makes it fun, Blizzard-style, entertainment come launch days
    Then you clearly did not play during WotlK. One of the smoothest launches in history of any major company. Also OW. Took only less then 30 minutes for everyone to be able to play.

I can keep going but your just a sad salty person that has to board the hype train how bad this / that / her / him company is. Please, sir, remove yourself from the premises.

Also, they have done a SO many new techniques in order to be able to play smoothly. New phasing zones / instances. The whole reason ServerHop got removed. The server can now 'dump' accounts and players onto different ones without affecting their main server to much. You can play on Sylvanas but unless you are in a group, you actually end up on lets Ghostlands.

One thing to keep in mind tho, they have a server capacity for what they EXPECT on how many people will be joining. Lets say its 5 mil. Their servers can handle up to 6 mil. During WoD they had 1. A DDOS attack and 2. over 8.8 mil. people logged in, going up to 12 mil in the following weeks.
    That number will dwindle down fast in the next weeks. You can't expect a company to pay / upgrade / prepare servers for 12 mil people that will dwindle down to 6/7 in the following months. Its a calculated risk they take but one that is understandable.
    Last edited by mmoc87bdcc5ac3; 2016-08-29 at 11:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD was the only bad launch for me and i play on Frostmourne. login queues will be long though

Prepatch were fine even was 4 hours before maintance were supposed to end.Launch will be fine unless they get ddos

I expect DDos and some bad rough ques on the high/full realms.
    other than that i think it will be a relatively smooth thing.

I am worried about everyone trying to make demon hunters tho. the prelaunch of Demon Hunters brought back some hellfire Peninsula war flashbacks.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Cataclysm and MoP had smooth launches but people seem to forget that. The reasons behind WoD's shitty launch don't exist in Legion, so there's no reason why it won't be playable.

As for server queues they increased the capacity of all the servers, you'll still get queues but they'll be a lot smaller than you've experienced in the past.
    MoP wasn't smooth, what the fuck? I was stuck in a helicopter with hundreds of other players flying in a circle for literally 9 hours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    MoP wasn't smooth, what the fuck? I was stuck in a helicopter with hundreds of other players flying in a circle for literally 9 hours.
    Only a handful people got that tho. Sucks to be you I guess...

Ok so, imagine eating 3 double cheeseburgers and 10 chicken wings with barbeque sauce while drinking 2l of diet coke, then afterwards you go to your local mexican restaurant and eat 2 huge burritos. To wrap it up, you munch 3 raw onions and a few cloves of garlic covered by a litre of gatorade.

Imagine the crap you would take after that. That is how shitty is going to be. Probably.

Without a ddos attack it will be so smooth. I have hope this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray View Post
    Ok so, imagine eating 3 double cheeseburgers and 10 chicken wings with barbeque sauce while drinking 2l of diet coke, then afterwards you go to your local mexican restaurant and eat 2 huge burritos. To wrap it up, you munch 3 raw onions and a few cloves of garlic covered by a litre of gatorade.

Imagine the crap you would take after that. That is how shitty is going to be. Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletlion View Post
    Without a ddos attack it will be so smooth. I have hope this time.
    Worse than ddos , worse than lag , worse than server down....

The dreaded phasing bug. I hope it ll never make it out of the beta.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well all we can really do is hope for the best, and if the ddos attack happens that someone can trace were that he hackers are so they can be arrested.

my past experience:

classic launch: mega lag, but actually playable. average ping 2,5 - 5 seconds for the first week, many dcs, but i got to auberdine on my nelf huntress after like 5 hours of exploring whole teldrassil.

Tbc launch: wasnt there for the first 5 days, everything was smooth as fuck.

Wotlk launch: Smooth, only had a problem with falling off the ship and not beeing able to log in for 10 minutes, than everything fine. was the smoothest launch i had experienced. Queue times no longer than 3 hours for me.

Cata launch: LAAAAG dc , after 2 hours it was playable, and vashjir questing was pretty cool. Seahorse = me happy.

Pandaria launch: i spent 5 hours (no joke) in the first helicopter quest trying to hit some mobs, approximately 25 k other players did the exat same. The amount of helicopters swirling around was ridicoulous. after 5 hours for the very first starter quest, things went ok.

WOD Launch: server instant down the moment the portal opened. WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFWTF. 25 k + people in one place. the starting stuff until garrison took 5 hours, average ping 7-10 seconds. imagine several 1000 people trying to hit a total of 7 mobs for quests.
    Spent 1 hour 30 minutes to kill a mob to get the fucking letter (very first quest on Draenor side). Queue times 5 hours plus over the course of 10 days. LAAAAAAAAG.

Trying to visit your Garnison = DC, not able to login for 30 minutes, back to 5 hours + queue (the longest i have been in was queue place 13 k, average time 53 hours lol, was still 3 hours when i woke up the next morning)

after the first few days of lag (acutally the game was totally unplayable) , they introduced their sharding stuff. Meaning u see a questmob, ride to it, and it phases out.
    "Instance server full".

There was never such a shitty launch than wod. it cannot get worse.

What i experienced the last few days, is that whenever you connect to battlenet, or a blizz hp, u get a 404 timeout instantly, and only after 2 or 3 reloads they will let u pass. seems like they have some ddos denying tool installed, that works in a way of auto-deny everything firsthandily.

World server crashes are to be expected, but I really hope that the work they did on servers during WoD and the expansion of the size of said servers helps this time around. 8-10 hour queues in WoD was terrible. I'm just gonna transfer off my server to a dead one for 2 weeks or so if that's the case again.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Has Blizzard ever once had a successful launch?

The answer is no. There will be plenty of shit for the first week or two, but sometimes, that's just what makes it fun, Blizzard-style, entertainment come launch days
    Guess it goes by what your standard is. I've played since early 2005..plenty of expansion launches been smooth on my server