Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    Based on what history? It is inspired by European history. Take Europe out of the equation and you have no Warcraft. Take America or any other place and you have it, easy.
    Which part is inspired by European history? Castles? Monarchies?

The Kingdom of Stormwind is based on Medieval England, with anglo-saxon council of nobles having power over the kingdom.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2016-08-29 at 04:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Some people have to, in order to try and shed being associated with their home countries.
    Europeans generally identify as European and by their nationality. It isn't about shedding associating with your homeland, but appreciating your ancestry that isn't limited to your country only.

And regardless of your mental dancing, its an American made game, by and American company. Just admit your hypocrisy about hating American things and move along. Thats all.
    It isn't an American "thing" but a European product made by an American company.

It's like an American drawing the EU flag... it remains European, lol.

Deleted
    You're taking it too far. Blizzard, established in America, moved to Europe where it belongs.

End.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment
    "Headquarters: Irvine, California, United States"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Apparently Castles, Monarchies, Taverns, and the like are all exclusively European.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    As a European... Oh wait. Dammit. Brexit happened.

I DON'T FIT IN ANYMORE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post

The Kingdom of Stormwind is based on Medieval England.
    It is European by design. Castles in European style, music in European style, monarchies in European style, characters in European style... etc.

Deleted
    It is European in the sense that the core elements in the game from a cultural, architectural, etc. aspect are drawn from European places.
    No it isn't. Give me some concrete examples, not more of this vague bullshit. You're completely ignoring all the parts of it that are blatantly not remotely inspired by anything European.

I dont understand why you're trying to appropriate it like this either. Do you have no personal pride so you have to steal someone elses?

- - - Updated - - -

It is European by design. Castles in European style, music in European style, monarchies in European style, characters in European style... etc.
    Please, tell me, what is "European style"? Define it for me.
    There were kings and queens long before Europe was even a word, and most of them weren't on continental Europe.

Humans are the only race that have a medieval style to their buildings, even then it's highly stylized. Night Elves are greek/japanese. Dwarves are fantasy/norse. Draenei are space aliens. I could go on.
    Last edited by mmoc4a603c9764; 2016-08-29 at 04:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Europeans generally identify as European and by their nationality. It isn't about shedding associating with your homeland, but appreciating your ancestry that isn't limited to your country only.

It isn't an American "thing" but a European product made by an American company.

It's like an American drawing the EU flag... it remains European, lol.
    Really? folks identify as 'European' when asked. Never in all my years and all my travels has that ever been the case. So you'll forgive me if I think you are a liar that is full of shit.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    As a European... Oh wait. Dammit. Brexit happened.

I DON'T FIT IN ANYMORE
    *facepalm* oh god..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Apparently Castles, Monarchies, Taverns, and the like are all exclusively European.
    Yeah nobody else ever had those, ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Entertainment
    "Headquarters: Irvine, California, United States"
    I meant in the scenario in which Blizzard did move to Europe, and so would no longer be American whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I meant in the scenario in which Blizzard did move to Europe, and so would no longer be American whatsoever.
    I suspect you'll have snow monkeys come flying out of your ass before Blizzard moves their base of operations to mainland Europe.

Deleted
    There is no such thing as "european castles" or "monarchies". At best, the castles are Roman, at worse Hittite. Second, an iberian monarchy was different from an anglo-saxin monarchy which was different for the eastern europ... wait, there were no monarchies before Charlesmane started to push Christianity there.

"European culture" is a non-existence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    No it isn't. Give me some concrete examples, not more of this vague bullshit. You're completely ignoring all the parts of it that are blatantly not remotely inspired by anything European.

I dont understand why you're trying to appropriate it like this either. Do you have no personal pride so you have to steal someone elses?

- - - Updated - - -

Please, tell me, what is "European style"? Define it for me.
    The way you ask is very stupid, and sad as well. What constitutes "European" is the whole, not necessarily only the parts. Are the castles in WoW European just because they are castles? No. They are European because they are designed like castles in Europe, and are put in a story inspired by European royal rivalries... etc.

Really, you must be very blind to not see the European elements.

Deleted

Deleted
    If the monarchy was in UK style, Varian would have stayed in his castle getting fat, drink himself stupid, and sent off all his soldiers to die fighting the european legion. Anduin would be whoring his way through brothels in Darnassus. They would both be surrounded by crowds of pathetic sycophantic morons wherever they went.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd say it's more Anglo-Saxon with Greek, Celtic and Welsh overtones added to it.

Most of the "fantasy" settings in popular culture is based on a few books/myths.

Mostly the Arthurian Legends mixed with Lord of the Rings, Three Hearts and Three Lions, Elric of Melnibone, Beowulf, and the various poems by Homer (like the Iliad, and the Odyssey).

In WoW, The Lich King is pretty much a bizzaro world retelling of Arthur (Arthas), mixing the Sword in the Stone with Elric's Stormbringer, a sword that eats souls.

I think @Theodarzna can expand on this, she has a larger understanding of the storytelling aspect, I am just a book nerd.
    In my view it is a very shallow reading of European mythology, it is more akin to say D&D and draws IMHO more from Gary Gygaxis than the legends of King Arthur, the Tain or really much of anything.

Arthas and Arthur are, at best, just naming allusions, like Uther the Lightbring is a very poor Uther Pendragon who most notably used magic to look like another man to sleep with that mans wife to conceive Arthur. They use bits of the stories, the popular known bits of the stories, but largely it is in my view an American's shallow reading of Pop-European mythology or Mythology in general. Because then you have our Rasta-Trolls with a very shallow understanding of Voodoo, you have our Bizarro Good Girl Drow in Night Elves, ect.

World of Warcraft is a series of shallow allusions, but at best I'd say its a well made D&D campaign setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way you ask is very stupid, and sad as well. What constitutes "European" is the whole, not necessarily only the parts. Are the castles in WoW European just because they are castles? No. They are European because they are designed like castles in Europe, and are put in a story inspired by European royal rivalries... etc.

The way you avoid the question and cock up your answer with gibberish is quite intellectually dishonest. Why do you chose to be that way?

Deleted

Again, no. The "european castle design", as you call them, is older than the Roman Republic or the Greek Cities. Monarchy rivalries are even older.

The closest "European concept" that we actually get in WoW is the Victorian Gilneas. Even Stormwind and Lordaeron only pick minor things from the Arthurian myths (which might be roman).

I enjoy Americans' skill when it comes to develop fantasy, like Robert E Howard (Conan!!), H.P Lovecraft and George R. R. Martin (Game of Thones, obviously).

It's also enjoyable to see WoW applying stories, themes, mythologies, what have you, from different cultures/areas, like Norse gods being in Ulduar.

I think my life would have been boring were it not for those Americans, honestly. I think Europe's "problem" was that we were always spoiled with old and ancient history and mythology so we didn't feel the need to create something new, or at least refresh it. America is in that sense newer culturally and never had the same cultural baggage which created oppurtunities. Does it make sense? I'm not sure if it does

Buuut Europe does appear to be the home of more skilled players, when both PvE (world first) and PvP (arena tournaments/Blizzcon) is considered
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.