Question An Ambitious (and possibly impossible) Plan

Hi all.

WoW has been a game that has interested me for a long time, and I have a lot of friends that are really hyped about Legion which has led to me really want to try it out more seriously. However, for multiple (honestly pretty stupid) reasons I can't pay the monthly subscription fee . I know tokens are a thing that can be payed for with in game currency (which as of posting seem to be worth about 37k).

The plan is to take a "starter account" (That is, an account that has the game but not a sub, since afaik actual starter accounts can't really subscribe) and somehow work my way up to getting a token. Possibly even streaming it, if the technology is there :d

Of course, an account without a sub can't get more than 10 gold, so real question is: is there some item/group of items, that with enough luck/time a level 20 could conceivably get that someone might trade for a token.

Quote Originally Posted by Cawy View Post
    Hi all.

WoW has been a game that has interested me for a long time, and I have a lot of friends that are really hyped about Legion which has led to me really want to try it out more seriously. However, for multiple (honestly pretty stupid) reasons I can't pay the monthly subscription fee . I know tokens are a thing that can be payed for with in game currency (which as of posting seem to be worth about 37k).

The plan is to take a "starter account" (That is, an account that has the game but not a sub, since afaik actual starter accounts can't really subscribe) and somehow work my way up to getting a token. Possibly even streaming it, if the technology is there :d

Of course, an account without a sub can't get more than 10 gold, so real question is: is there some item/group of items, that with enough luck/time a level 20 could conceivably get that someone might trade for a token.
    You can't trade for a token. You can only buy them on the AH.

The tokens you buy with cash can't be used. They can only be posted on the AH, and only become usable when someone buys them with gold. Your plan is, in fact, impossible.

Probably within the realm of possibility, but going strictly by the parameters here (earning that much gold yourself on a level 20) it's extremely unlikely.

*May have misread / misunderstood your post initially. I thought you meant you'd somehow earn the gold, to buy the token - rather than someone trading you a token.

Same difference I guess, really, tho.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    You can't trade for a token. You can only buy them on the AH.

The tokens you buy with cash can't be used. They can only be posted on the AH, and only become usable when someone buys them with gold. Your plan is, in fact, impossible.
    Well darn, that's super disappointing. Thanks for letting me know, though. Guess WoW will have to wait for a little while more
    Last edited by Cawy; 2016-09-01 at 05:47 AM.

Hit up one of your friends to pay your sub for a month, then bust your ass to grind gold to pay them back a token's worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Cawy View Post
    Well darn, that's super disappointing. Thanks for letting me know, though. Guess WoW will have to wait for a little while more
    If you have the time to spend on farming items, may I humbly suggest you spend that same time on doing chores or some other kind of work that would allow you to earn the ~15 dollar to sub for a month? it's not THAT much for a sub

Once you have a sub it is definitly possible to keep playing without spending money (I have been playing the last 6 months like that, fairly casually but it does require some commitment to making gold).

Quote Originally Posted by Banquetto View Post
    Hit up one of your friends to pay your sub for a month, then bust your ass to grind gold to pay them back a token's worth?
    I've tried, but I dont think any of them are in the position/ willing to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    If you have the time to spend on farming items, may I humbly suggest you spend that same time on doing chores or some other kind of work that would allow you to earn the ~15 dollar to sub for a month? it's not THAT much for a sub

Once you have a sub it is definitly possible to keep playing without spending money (I have been playing the last 6 months like that, fairly casually but it does require some commitment to making gold).
    Haha, it's not at all a problem of having the money- if I had a sub I'd more than likely get all the expansions without a problem. Like I said the reasons for not being able to get a sub right out are really stupid and frustrating (and hopefully wont last for too much longer)