Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    The satire is real.
    Oh I'm so impressed as a white male....pathetic. Grow a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    It's funny to see all the usual right-wing nutjobs fall all over themselves to see who can cry and vent about their victim complex first.

Imagine my surprise
    Thats not very politically correct of you. Isn't being PC about being respectful of others?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Systemic racism against white people doesn't exist. This is true whether or not you believe it and regardless of what demographic you're in.

And yes, it's mostly white people causing every shitty thing in the world, and white men specifically.
    Thats racism.

It's not going to "end" per-se. As this is a cultural shift in society that's in progress.

What WILL happen though is that a new balance of what is acceptable and what is not will be achieved, that's currently what is going on with a lot of the "madness" going on right now. I'm curious as to how society as a whole will end up personally, hopefully for the better overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Extremism is fundamentalism, and fundamentalism is, by its very nature, anti-progressive. That's why you can have religious extremists, but also secular extremists (ie, New Atheists). To be progressive means to not be any of that.

There's no "extreme progressiveness." There's no "we're going to promote diversity and tolerance TO A FAULT."
    eh...when you insist on incredibly stupid things in the name of progressivism, that would fall under extremism. extremism is not unique to a side of the political compass. The stupidity starts when you find fault and offense in EVERYTHING, even where none was intended or even there in the first place.

like OMG YOU COW MURDERER whenever I eat beef. or "YOURE A SELF HATING SEXIST" for not agreeing with every progressive's opinion.

Systemic racism against white people doesn't exist. This is true whether or not you believe it and regardless of what demographic you're in.

And yes, it's mostly white people causing every shitty thing in the world, and white men specifically.
    The level of ignorance in this statement is astounding. Racist people like you are why race is still an issue.

Extremism is fundamentalism, and fundamentalism is, by its very nature, anti-progressive. That's why you can have religious extremists, but also secular extremists (ie, New Atheists). To be progressive means to not be any of that.

There's no "extreme progressiveness." There's no "we're going to promote diversity and tolerance TO A FAULT."

As for a certain r-word, no, it's not extremist to say that using it is bad. It's ablelist and harmful. Use it all you like, but the idea that someone telling you it's a bad thing is somehow an "extreme" is absurd.
    First, can't separate the term racist from the made up term systemic racism. Now, progressives can't be extreme.

This is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    An "argument" that's coherent within its own, ideologically biased premises doesn't mean it has anything to do with the facts of reality. That's something both you and Endus should think about. Endus especially.
    An argument based on false assumptions, but coherent, is still better than an argument that is incoherent and wrong no matter what it is based on. And even then, there is a difference between a well thought argument, but with some mistakes in it - and a lazy-ass argument in which zero thought was put.

Some people in this very thread made a good case against PC culture, for example, Psykee. I disagree with his/her stance, but his/her reasoning makes sense. While all these "evul liberuls are stupid", "PC is all about hating white people" and other nonsensical "arguments" aren't worth a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's cute that you actually think that that's what "progressive" means.

As for a certain r-word, no, it's not extremist to say that using it is bad. It's ablelist and harmful. Use it all you like, but the idea that someone telling you it's a bad thing is somehow an "extreme" is absurd.
    It's "extreme" when you say, "you can't use that word, ever, because it might be offensive to someone". Such absolutism is inherently regressive, especially given that context dictates meaning of a word. Even more so when the basic definition of that word isn't offensive. Additionally, offense is only ever taken and only applies when in the proper context and it is directed at someone that it can actually apply to. If I'm joking around with a friend and say he's "retarded", anyone that gets "offended" because they "know someone" with a disability is a fucking idiot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finding fault and offence is everything *isn't progressive.* When you do that, you start sex-shaming, body-shaming, fat-shaming, and a bazillion other things that aren't actually progressive, at all. Progressiveness is not extremism.

Progressiveness is also not necessarily liberal, or even feminist. Neoliberals are regressive. White/TERF/SWERF feminism is regressive. For liberalism to be progressive it has to actually be liberal, which neoliberalism isn't. For feminism to be progressive it must be intersectional. And so on.
    The effort to be progressive can end up in extremism, whether you want to acknowledge that or not. I figure you wont, because you are actually one of them and dont want to see yourself that way.

- - - Updated - - -

anyways football time.

Time to cut off some elephant tusks!

Deleted
    No shit; of course efforts to be progressive can end up as extremism. If that's what we were talking about, we'd be in agreement.

The idea that progressiveness is itself extremism is still lunacy. And whatever extremist tendencies I may have, *that* remains true, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
    These terms have actual meanings. If you study political theory, you would know what they were.

Now, you are doing what most people do which is make up some shit in your head about what you think a word means, or possibly take your definition from the fashionable common usage or its usage on Fox News. It is a waste of time. Obviously, other people will make up differen shit in their minds about what words mean. Arguing about this is pointless-everyone in the argument is clueless.

post recycling, woo!

Political correctness as an ideal is not necessarily a bad thing. It's one of those things that helps people not get punched in the face for saying silly shit to people. It helps us get along in groups with all sorts of people and getting the job done without it turning into a mess. At its best it keeps people minding their P's and Q's.

However, political correctness becomes a problem when it starts to divide people based on identities. PC'ness goes too far when equality is increasingly confused and attributed with equity. PC'ness goes too far when it demands special treatment and legal treatment for people who feel historically wronged. PC'ness goes too far when it deems that issues cannot be part of public discourse, a major and important facet of democracy, because people are too quick to judge and dismiss those who are critical simply because their viewpoints are divergent, instead we get "safe spaces" or people get branded as a bigot or whatever the "word a la mode" is for the situation. PC'ness has fostered a reality where people talk at each other, instead of talking to them. When an emphasis on merely "minding your p's and q's" becomes thought policing instead, pushing censorship and an agenda. PC'ness is a problem when it fosters this fuckin' retarded notion that you can somehow beat racism with more racism. PC'ness goes too far when someone believes that "I'm offended" is some catch-all trump card for every circumstance.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I think a better question for the OP is this: "When should i stop caring about something so trivial that has absolutely no effect my life whatsoever?"

Deleted
    I neither need nor want your input on how words work. Pretty sure my experience, paid and otherwise, trumps yours.

If that response doesn't do it for you, eat shit.
    Your experience wouldn't be watching TV and reading the internet would it perhaps?

I neither need nor want your input on how words work. Pretty sure my experience, paid and otherwise, trumps yours.

Not sure anyone would believe you have any real experience on the subject.

Watch out, you're gonna get vocab-schooled by the unemployed blogger.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

7+ Year Old Account

LOL these kinds of responses are funny.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I think a better question for the OP is this: "When should i stop caring about something so trivial that has absolutely no effect my life whatsoever?"
    But it does have effect on people.

People like the OP want to treat certain other groups as 2e class in the open and get away with it like how it was in the 80s and 90s. But since they can't do that anymore they have to complain about this

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    But it does have effect on people.

People like the OP want to treat certain other groups as 2e class in the open and get away with it like how it was in the 80s and 90s. But since they can't do that anymore they have to complain about this
    Straw manning here. I don't think the OP said anything like that. You're creating a false argument.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    you can have an extreme of anything. being progressive does not exclude extremism, much like one can eat too much chocolate despite chocolate being very delicious.

A person can be polite without having to excessive avoiding of stepping on eggshells, like using gender neutral pronouns for everything. Or yelling when I yell at the tv that a player on team x is being retarded.
    With progressiveness the question is "progress to what?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, this thread reminded me of that incident with Jeremy Lin. The one where the ESPN editor wrote up that 'chink in the armor' article and the interwebz went mad, which resulted in him being fired. Jeremy Lin himself didn't notice until the whole thing blew up. Acting like that, how ultra PC individuals do, is racist in itself. They find a harmless comment, phrase, or action and turn it into a racist and or malicious situation. It creates a problem that was never there, I've never understood it.

So I'm with OP, shit needs to end soon.
    Of all losses, time is the most irrecuperable for it can never be redeemed