Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Legion Raises The Bar

After a few days of playing this xpac I must say Blizz raised the bar way high with a great game .. The list of features that are 'new' to MMO's is big and the game flows really well .. People are engaged and really loving the experience ..

WoW has come a long way since Vanilla ...

Things I really like:

Mobs/quest loot adjust to your level
    Story: much more story and cut scenes in this xpac .. great stuff
    World Size: Just right
    Artifacts: Amazing feature to the game
    Number of buttons: Seeing how I play mostly WW, really like the new combat style

You?
    Last edited by Cempa; 2016-09-03 at 08:09 PM.

Too early to tell. people LOVED WOD in the first week. Ask this question again in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by TS26 View Post
    Too early to tell. people LOVED WOD in the first week. Ask this question again in a year.
    I did not.
    WoD zones were horrible, leveling was boring.
    The only thing WoD had tolerable was raids.

Legion is really great so far. I really liked WoD, the problem with it (same as with MoP, Cata and Wotlk) was that it went on for a year without any real changes. The actual content was great, and IMO better than Cata or Wotlk, but you can't go a year without any patches.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can agree that at least the lore writers and quest designers did a great job. Val'sharah actually brought me to tears (why couldn't they have chosen literally ANY OTHER lore character?), all the other areas were really interesting aswell.

Maxlevel-content seems frustratingly slow, though that is something that'll literally solve itself with the passage of time (artifact knowledge research, to be specific). It's a bit of a shame that some supposed "getting ready for raiding" gear will never see play - both the order class hall set and the second-level crafting armor (demonsteel) take so long to unlock that most of my guild members have equal or better gear (from titanforged world quest and heroic dungeon loot aswell as going mythic dungeons) already despite nobody actually even having unlocked all order hall set pieces or crafting recipes for armor. In a world of loot getting random upgrades, gating some loot behind slow exalted-reputation-grinds or hugely-expensive crafting recipes (or both) just means it'll be obsolete before anyone even has a chance to get it.

Finally: I am very much sick of repeatedly finding bind-on-pickup titanforged relics with +40 or more to item level but for the wrong artifact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Blizzard didn't have any problem killing Kael'thas, Illidan, Kael'thas, Lady Vashj, or even Kael'thas.

Deleted
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I'm feeling a very heavy influence from Diablo in Legion. The setting and pacing feel similar, especially with the cut scene driven story lines, and I'm carving through mobs as a prot paladin in much the same way as a crusader on Diablo 3. The loot designer from Diablo 3 was on the Legion team, and I wonder if a few more developers weren't moved back from the Diablo team, that game is pretty much completed now in terms of development.

Another way it's similar is that the zones are not really linked and are thematically quite different, and all quite dense - no open spaces like Nagrand or the wetlands.

It's a new design but I'm definitely liking it so far. It's WoW for 2016, done well (so far!). I don't even miss flying at all.

As far as "First couple of days" experience goes, I would have to say that Legion is my absolute favorite expansion so far.

We'll have to see after a couple of weeks if world questing gets boring, or if it gets completely replaced by instanced PVE content. But so far it's been pretty amazing.

Every time I pop my Dalaran hearth thinking I'll have a little bit of down time I get flung back out into the world again. While it's definitely a small expansion as far as square footage goes, it really utilizes that square footage, better than any other expansion.

And when you encounter other players out in the world it's not "oh god, bugger off I'm trying to do this quest" It's like "sweet, other players, that'll make this way easier". Which is kind of what an MMO should be. You should be out in the world, and you should enjoy encountering other players. Like in other expansions it's been "Oh, level cap, time for dungeons" But I have only really popped the dungeon finder in order to do dungeon quests. Other than that I feel like so far there's a fairly smooth sense of progression out in the world at large.

Now, while the terrain is beautiful; it does have some infuriating parts as far as navigation goes. and once you ding 110 everything starts hitting like a freight train. At first it was frustrating, but then I really get to appreciate the challenge it creates. I have died while questing so many times. Sometimes they are cheap and infuriating deaths, (insta spawns, ridiculously tight mob pathing, etc) while other times they are a fitting punishment for my own hubris.

This is Yes. Everything is Yes. And the 5 man dungeons that I have done so far are absolutely stunning.

And while I was worried about revisiting art assets (like vrykul) it never felt like we were like "Vrykul bad, kill Vrykul" instead you get this really fantastic story about having to fight to impress the Vrykul gods in order to obtain the Aegis and it never felt cheesy at any point

Then of course in the long long term it also depends on content deliver. Will Blizzard deliver the moar patches they have promised.

If they don't screw this up, we might be looking at the best expansion ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will people still feel the same way in 8 weeks?

longevity will be key.
    Hi

so far it's fine, but we're not even a week in yet. we'll see how it is in a month. I wasn't bored of MoP till 5.3 for example. i was bored of WoD week 2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Will people still feel the same way in 8 weeks?

longevity will be key.
    . 3 weeks*

I like everything except the gating and lack of mob grind I can do to pass the time.

loving it so far! best exp in a long time ;D and that 7.1 trailer? horry shiet so hyped!

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Artifacts: Amazing feature to the game
    As much as I enjoy artifacts I feel they are going to be the "problem" of the expansion, once people start re-doing the content on alts, they will start to be annoyed with the AP rate even with the AK multiplier and can't be bothered to grind out AP which is going to lead to bitching. Also having people run content for 2 months to max out your talents isn't going to go over well with people, I can see it now, you are going to hear ( I just want to log in and raid twice a week, not be forced to play other content to be viable ) crowd.

Can these threads please stop popping up? Legion hasn't even been out for a week. Literally all anyone has done was...
    1.) level to 110 experiencing quests and normal dungeons
    2.) perhaps level professions a bit
    3.) Ding 110 and do heroics/get 810 ilvl.

Can you really base an expansion pack on that? I think not.

It's been less than a week.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I was bored with the questing around level 105. I don't even want to do world quests. I'm already bored.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

Quote Originally Posted by Shoat View Post
    It's a bit of a shame that some supposed "getting ready for raiding" gear will never see play - both the order class hall set and the second-level crafting armor (demonsteel) take so long to unlock that most of my guild members have equal or better gear (from titanforged world quest and heroic dungeon loot aswell as going mythic dungeons) already despite nobody actually even having unlocked all order hall set pieces or crafting recipes for armor. In a world of loot getting random upgrades, gating some loot behind slow exalted-reputation-grinds or hugely-expensive crafting recipes (or both) just means it'll be obsolete before anyone even has a chance to get it.[/I].
    My guess for this is that the order hall set has a niche. A lot of it's set bonuses are for questing in the world (higher passive health regen is an example). It's likely that this set is designed for non raiders in mind.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd put Legion more as getting back to the bar set by wotlk and bc than raising the bar. Legion is very good early in, and looks promising moving forward. But raising the bar after wod doesn't feel like the right phrase. And extending that thought to raising the bar on mmo's really goes a bit far, considering other mmos have had some of these features added in Legion for many years. GW2 and others for example have had mob scaling long before it was ever done in wow. Blizz is more than happy to borrow features and things from other mmos that work well. Even Timeless Isle borrowed some of the jump puzzle ideas (albeit way toned down) from GW2. Again, Legion is very good not knocking it at all. Just saying to keep it in perspective a bit coming off the worst expansion in wow history in wod by most accounts. The important thing is that wow finally listened to the feedback and has clearly worked hard to make Legion a very strong expansion. We can all hope this is the standard as a minimum that Blizz sets for wow and future expansions as long as it goes.

What 'new' to MMO features? Nothing you listed in the things you really like list, and you say the list is big so name a few?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajarra View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I was bored with the questing around level 105. I don't even want to do world quests. I'm already bored.
    Are you sure you're the MMO type?
    Blizzard's cutting corners again? Yare Yare Daze...

Concur with OP. Legion=best gaming content ever. Better than Skyrim, better than FF, better than Mario or anything else.