Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    If someone you care about wanted to visit your country/city and you wanted them to have a safe trip, would you advise them to visit areas you know have the highest amounts of violent crime?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shilling View Post
    No it isn't. A protectionist measure is one to prevent trade. The rejection of the ttip is not a rejection of globalisation or even a slow down of it. In fact economies are becoming more dependent of each other as trade between them increases.
    Why do people keep using words if they don't know what they mean!??? God damn. Protectionism isn't about preventing trade, that's isolationism (which doesn't even have to prevent trade either), protectionism is about protecting (see the key word there?) your national industries over international interests. Maybe coal is cheaper in China, but to prevent your coal industry from collapsing, you put large tarrifs on the importing of Chinese coal. Sure, people can still do it, it's just more expensive to do so than to mine it at home. THAT is protectionism. Trade is great for protectionist countries provided that the country operating the protectionist policies sees the most benefit and least negative impact to their national industries. THAT is protectionism.

You might be looking for Import Substitution Industrialization (ISI) where a nation offers subsidies to build the industries they normally import goods from, but even still, they'll still trade for goods they don't have, can't produce and will of course want to sell the goods they do produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Economy has slowed down. Globalisation slows down when economies LEAVE the global market.
    That has NOT happened.
    No it doesn't. Globalization slows when countries offer less free and less integrated trade deals. Leaving the global market (which frankly, is impossible) would reverse globalization. It's not black and white of either "you're globalized or you're not". There are degrees to which nations can be globalized. Free trade, open borders, free migration, etc...
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Why do people keep using words if they don't know what they mean!??? God damn. Protectionism isn't about preventing trade, that's isolationism (which doesn't even have to prevent trade either), protectionism is about protecting (see the key word there?) your national industries over international interests. Maybe coal is cheaper in China, but to prevent your coal industry from collapsing, you put large tarrifs on the importing of Chinese coal. Sure, people can still do it, it's just more expensive to do so than to mine it at home. THAT is protectionism. Trade is great for protectionist countries provided that the country operating the protectionist policies sees the most benefit and least negative impact to their national industries. THAT is protectionism.

You might be looking for Import Substitution Industrialization (ISI) where a nation offers subsidies to build the industries they normally import goods from, but even still, they'll still trade for goods they don't have, can't produce and will of course want to sell the goods they do produce.

No it doesn't. Globalization slows when countries offer less free and less integrated trade deals. Leaving the global market (which frankly, is impossible) would reverse globalization. It's not black and white of either "you're globalized or you're not". There are degrees to which nations can be globalized. Free trade, open borders, free migration, etc...

Not sure why you're telling me this as this is what I am arguing.
    There aren't LESS trade deals. Borders aren't closing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Not sure why you're telling me this as this is what I am arguing.
    There aren't LESS trade deals.
    Honestly I don't have a tally for "number of trade deals" on hand. My point was merely that leaving the global economy (which is impossible) does not reduce globalization, it reverses it. Your claim was that the only way to reduce globalization was to leave (which you can't anyway). It's an important distinction.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Honestly I don't have a tally for "number of trade deals" on hand. My point was merely that leaving the global economy (which is impossible) does not reduce globalization, it reverses it. Your claim was that the only way to reduce globalization was to leave (which you can't anyway). It's an important distinction.
    I very clearly said globalisation isn't a trigger you switch on and off.
    I agree that less trade deals slow globalisation down.
    However, considering how not only western countries are still all active in the global market, but also how NEW countries that used to be outside the global market, managed to find their way in (Russia China and a lot more) I really can't see how globalisation is slowing in any way.
    Economy obviously has hit a massive brick wall, but that has nothing to do with globalisation.

I agree with what you're saying, I just think it's a bit redundant simply because... well... it's not happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Indians? I've never heard anything even remotely bad about most Indians living in the UK...
    Their corner shops are expensive.

Seven quid for Tetley tea bags?! Bloody rip off merchants!

10+ Year Old Account
    That soap commercial was hilarious. If this cleaning product turned things white, then why didn't his hair turn white? Just saying. Also, apparently the Chinese are like the Honey Badger, in that they don't give a shit about the westerners political correctness.

- - - Updated - - -

Indians? I've never heard anything even remotely bad about most Indians living in the UK...
    I've never heard of anything bad about Indians period. That's like saying avoid Canadians, eh? They may just apologize you to death.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sztyrymytyry View Post
    Source: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...-a3338501.html

Chinese airlines have warned the passengers to avoid areas of London inhabited by Negroes and Pakistanis.

“London is generally a safe place to travel, however precautions are needed when entering areas mainly populated by Indians, Pakistanis and black people." - can be read in the magazine "Wings of China " issued by Air China. This clearly contradicts the promotion of "multicultural" areas of London conducted by the mayor of the British capital Sadiq Khan. Having Pakistani roots himself, the first ever Muslim mayor of London, often writes about his favourite restaurants in the Indo-Pakistani district Tooting.

London is also trying to attract Chinese tourists. Last year, 270,000 of them visited Britain, as much as 46 percent more than in 2014. They spend 586 million pounds, or about 18 percent more than the year before. Controversial warning in the magazine "Air China" is another signal that Chinese companies do not bother with Western canons of political correctness. For example - in May the advertising of Chinese detergent, showed the Chinese woman put a black man to the washing machine and after washing it became Asian man.

Just like how people are most likely avoidign a lot more areas in China itself...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Fun View Post
    No, I'm saying that you're trying to make everything racist in other threads yourself. You don't get to complain about others doing it when you're doing it yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.euractiv.com/section/tra...minium-sector/
    Other threads? Why are you trying to red herring? What does that have to do with this thread

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    Ohhh, so its totally fine to say that black America is often known for murder, violence, vandalism, wanton destruction, and general agressive loud behavior. I mean, that's also a true statement. They seem pretty known for that.

Just making sure we're on the same page.
    Among poor black Americans... yes that is what poor black americans are known for...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Other threads? Why are you trying to red herring? What does that have to do with this thread
    You are constantly claiming everything is racist, so accusing others of doing the same is hypocrisy and you don't stop being a racist hypocrite just because you entered another thread.

Except for a few unsanitary cultural habits by a restaurant owner (only one I know of) Indians seem to have fit in and done well in UK. I love how black people are just blanket stated as a dangerous ethnicity afterwards.

It is odd they never even mentioned the most important, most globally visible, and perhaps only real problem - Muslims.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    That soap commercial was hilarious. If this cleaning product turned things white, then why didn't his hair turn white? Just saying. Also, apparently the Chinese are like the Honey Badger, in that they don't give a shit about the westerners political correctness.
    They don't really have a local population to oppose this (mostly Han ethnicity) and get in their hair about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah the daily dose of "I hate Muslims" circle-jerk that mmo-c keyboard warriors are so prone to making.

Carry on lads .
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    It is odd they never even mentioned the most important, most globally visible, and perhaps only real problem - Muslims.
    Most Muslims in London would be Pakistani, who they mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Most Muslims in London would be Pakistani, who they mentioned.
    I'd be sure to make the distinction, myself.

Deleted
    As much as I adore the usual outcry about PC culture, you will find that our traveling bureaus even in the west will tell you to avoid areas that are inhabited by *insert race* or avoid ghettos or that this race have a tendency to be this form of criminal etc. etc..

Edit: not sure about airlines though, haven't seen that before.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2016-09-07 at 10:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be sure to make the distinction, myself.
    Not really applicable for London.

Arab Muslims are typically wealthy and live in nice areas, so walking around them is not an issue, Turkish Muslims don't cause any real trouble, Far Eastern Muslims dont have any significant populations in London that I can think of and sub-Saharan African Muslims would go under the black descriptor, which leaves the Pakistani Muslims.

Except for a few unsanitary cultural habits by a restaurant owner (only one I know of) Indians seem to have fit in and done well in UK. I love how black people are just blanket stated as a dangerous ethnicity afterwards.

- - - Updated - - -

They don't really have a local population to oppose this (mostly Han ethnicity) and get in their hair about it.
    I don't know anything about West Indians in the UK, but I've only ever seen successful (Middle Class to Wealthy) Africans. In fact, one of my favorite British actors is Nonso Anozie, a Nigerian-Briton.

Wording could have been better but stating a "general" situation. Really people of those areas should be given these papers and reflect on it. If they want to change things a little bit, it can be a good motivation. Funny tho, when shop workers are warned for Chinese tourists "Like a swarm of locust". It is funny how we perceive each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Are "facts and logic" why they have a 3rd world quality of life, some of the lowest positions in all freedom rankings, and why they are immigrating to Americas, Europe and Oceania en masse?
    To be fair, they had a lot of catching up to do. And they are catching up still.

Sounds like just good advice plain and simple lol. If a foreigner was planning on visiting Cleveland I'd tell them to stay the fuck away from the east side.