Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHandsB View Post
    You will have to look closely into your lease and local ordinances to see if this is permitted. Many leases restrict running businesses and local ordinances often require the area to be zoned for business to do what you're talking about.
    Yes, read over the lease at signing and I mentioned it to my landlord as something I was considering doing (in passing though when he stopped by a couple of weekends ago). Sounded like he'd be OK with it but I'd have to double check before seriously committing to that route.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That's a good point. A friend of mine said that while it made more sense to just rent the room out (whether AirBNB or otherwise), but noted that there is something nice about having an apartment to oneself. I've always lived with other people so living alone will be a first-time experience for me.
    I can say that I have mixed feelings about my experience (been living on my own for over a year already). It is nice having the whole apartment for yourself, being able to do whatever you want without caring about anyone's opinion... But it also gets lonely sometimes. I am not a super-social person, but even so, I would really welcome a roommate now, even temporarily! Or, at least, a friend visiting for a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    It could become a no tell motel. Get a ho and have her service client's there.

Its easy to become a pimp. Go to the website www.iwanttobeapimp.com. It'll explain it all.
    I was sad that this wasn't an actual website. Where can I go for advice on a quality pimp cane and hat....edit: never mind, found websites that specialize in pimp canes...http://www.canesgalore.com/pimp-canes-c-8_60_63.html lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I can say that I have mixed feelings about my experience (been living on my own for over a year already). It is nice having the whole apartment for yourself, being able to do whatever you want without caring about anyone's opinion... But it also gets lonely sometimes. I am not a super-social person, but even so, I would really welcome a roommate now, even temporarily! Or, at least, a friend visiting for a few days.
    Yes, I can see how I'd feel exactly the same way. Where can we sign up for part-time roommates? Ha.

10+ Year Old Account
    You might have to check the city ordinances around AirBnB and probably check back in with your landlord about that. It's one thing to allow subleasing but it's another entirely to have a rotating list of guests.

AirBnB would have the flexibility to opt out at some point if you find you want privacy over income where a sublease would give you more guaranteed income but might result in a nightmare roommate situation again.

Otherwise I'd say find out what you wish you had more space for (gaming, relaxing, working, exercising) and convert the space to that.

Yeah AirBnB, who knows you might meet a rich dude.

I don't know about a room in my house, If I had an apartment outside of the house I'd do it in a heartbeat.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I can see how I'd feel exactly the same way. Where can we sign up for part-time roommates? Ha.
    Will be hard! We are 2,000 miles away from each other, according to Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    You might have to check the city ordinances around AirBnB and probably check back in with your landlord about that. It's one thing to allow subleasing but it's another entirely to have a rotating list of guests.

AirBnB would have the flexibility to opt out at some point if you find you want privacy over income where a sublease would give you more guaranteed income but might result in a nightmare roommate situation again.

Otherwise I'd say find out what you wish you had more space for (gaming, relaxing, working, exercising) and convert the space to that.
    One workaround that was actually suggested by my landlord was month to month rental for the room, to see if the individual would be a good fit. He knows I can cover rent whether I get a roommate or not, so he's been offering me a lot of flexibility. Something I've been considering (month to month leasing in Portland isn't actually month to month after a certain amount of time has passed, due to tenant law here, but it's a time period long enough that I would know whether someone would be a good fit or not for the long term. Month to month/short term rental also makes no-cause notice in a sublease viable https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/96790 ).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Will be hard! We are 2,000 miles away from each other, according to Google.
    Boo! West coast = best coast

Sex dungeon, obviously. Why wasn't that your first thought?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Yeah AirBnB, who knows you might meet a rich dude.
    I'm dating a physician, he's not really rich though. Rich dudes are high maintenance, not recommended tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Sex dungeon, obviously. Why wasn't that your first thought?
    IT *WAS* MY FIRST THOUGHT hahaha. If I go that route then I'll be sure to post some tasteful photos

10+ Year Old Account
    One workaround that was actually suggested by my landlord was month to month rental for the room, to see if the individual would be a good fit. He knows I can cover rent whether I get a roommate or not, so he's been offering me a lot of flexibility. Something I've been considering (month to month leasing in Portland isn't actually month to month after a certain amount of time has passed, due to tenant law here, but it's a time period long enough that I would know whether someone would be a good fit or not for the long term. Month to month/short term rental also makes no-cause notice in a sublease viable https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/article/96790 ).
    As someone who is a landlord I strongly recommend reading up on all the city, county, and state laws about being a landlord including what you are and aren't allowed to do in screening applicants and how to deal with problematic tenants -- leases aren't nearly as much protection as you think. Also read up on your legal obligations around handling issues and complaints -- although since it's in your apartment that's a WHOLE lot easier to manage.

I don't want to scare you off as I've actually had a good experience, but it's a risky venture. Just do all your homework.

10+ Year Old Account
    Turn it into a "greenhouse" and sell your beautiful buds to the 90's hipsters walking all around portland on a daily basis.

Just uh..don't get caught or you'll do some serious time at the police's least liked coffee shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    As someone who is a landlord I strongly recommend reading up on all the city, county, and state laws about being a landlord including what you are and aren't allowed to do in screening applicants and how to deal with problematic tenants -- leases aren't nearly as much protection as you think. Also read up on your legal obligations around handling issues and complaints -- although since it's in your apartment that's a WHOLE lot easier to manage.

I don't want to scare you off as I've actually had a good experience, but it's a risky venture. Just do all your homework.
    Yup yup. I went to law school so I tend to dot my i's and cross my t's (well...most of the time).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
    Turn it into a "greenhouse" and sell your beautiful buds to the 90's hipsters walking all around portland on a daily basis.

Just uh..don't get caught or you'll do some serious time at the police's least liked coffee shop.
    It's legal to grow here now, up to a certain amount. I forget how much that amount is.

Give it to me so I can have a proper art studio.

I have usually had a computer/storage room that had a spare bed in it to be a guest bedroom that invited guests to not stick around long. Its nice to have a place to yourself, be very choosey of who you let live with you.

As long as you can physically defend yourself AirBNB is something you can do sporadically for extra cash & they have paid out big bucks for those whose places have been trashed.
    People are unused to truth.
    People follow consistent truth.
    Respect the power and impact of truth.
    Men who speak truth drive value.

Find a certain topic you're interested in and make one of those rooms where you hang up newspaper articles and pins and try to crack how everything is connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Find a certain topic you're interested in and make one of those rooms where you hang up newspaper articles and pins and try to crack how everything is connected.
    Well I have that already, in my rickety shack in the woods. The one where I keep the bloody sawblades and pitchforks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    Give it to me so I can have a proper art studio.
    Funnily enough, I actually am considering offering it up as an art studio space to a couple of friends of mine. I know a lot of artists, I like being around creative people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CMartel View Post
    As long as you can physically defend yourself AirBNB is something you can do sporadically for extra cash & they have paid out big bucks for those whose places have been trashed.
    You know, I never really worry about my physical safety, but perhaps I should be more cautious. I did think about the dog and whether she would be safe around short-term guests, she's very friendly but also very submissive...too gentle and sweet, if there is such a thing. She's a Golden Retriever.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd try to make it a Bed and Breakfast on the low.

Governments--local and federal--always insist on sticking their dick in things. Fuck them.

Screen your prospective guests carefully and have their stays pre-planned. You're smart enough to figure it out. At a glance, how hard can it be?

Deleted
    Gaming room

Gym

Movie theater

Super duper doggie den.

My second spare room is my gaming den. Entire room painted like the mines of Moria with 1 entire wall being Gandalf battling the Balrog on the bridge of Kazad Dum. Got me a massive desk that I painted to look like rock and then used lacquer to put maps from Silmarillion and LOTR onto the top of the desk.

You know, I never really worry about my physical safety, but perhaps I should be more cautious. I did think about the dog and whether she would be safe around short-term guests, she's very friendly but also very submissive...too gentle and sweet, if there is such a thing. She's a Golden Retriever.
    Sounds like my Golden male lol